Afghan Whigs

General music discussion.
Guest1

Afghan Whigs

Post by Guest1 »

Anybody else a fan? I feel like these guys kind of get relegated to grunge also ran status but they were so much better than that. Lots of obvious soul influences and an epic conceptual arc behind their records. Dulli has gotten alot shit over the years for his lyrics as well. While I do agree they come across as incredibly mysoginistic it's pretty clear he was just character acting. Meaning I don't think any of it is meant to be taken literally. They're one of those bands like THB era manics that suck you into the abyss. I can only spin them every once in awhile. It's pretty dark stuff.

This one is one of my favorites:

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: Afghan Whigs

Post by matedog »

My knowledge of them is that the had some song MTV tried to push on me in like 92 that just never worked for me. They also weirdly collaborated with Usher in like 2012 on Usher's excellent "Climax." Heston's friend loves them and Jenny thinks the lead singer is hot.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
15 Jun 2021, 2:06am
Anybody else a fan? I feel like these guys kind of get relegated to grunge also ran status but they were so much better than that. Lots of obvious soul influences and an epic conceptual arc behind their records. Dulli has gotten alot shit over the years for his lyrics as well. While I do agree they come across as incredibly mysoginistic it's pretty clear he was just character acting. Meaning I don't think any of it is meant to be taken literally. They're one of those bands like THB era manics that suck you into the abyss. I can only spin them every once in awhile. It's pretty dark stuff.

This one is one of my favorites:

Yes, I am a fan. They do often get lumped in with the grunge set and I agree they were/are much better than that. Gentlemen was the first one I got into and I was hooked. Dulli is definitely an interesting guy and I agree that there is some character acting going on, as well as quite a bit of black humor. Have you listened to his latest solo release? I liked it.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

matedog wrote:
15 Jun 2021, 9:23am
My knowledge of them is that the had some song MTV tried to push on me in like 92 that just never worked for me. They also weirdly collaborated with Usher in like 2012 on Usher's excellent "Climax." Heston's friend loves them and Jenny thinks the lead singer is hot.
There is at least one person on this board who really dislikes them, just can't remember who.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:
15 Jun 2021, 9:26am
matedog wrote:
There is at least one person on this board who really dislikes them, just can't remember who.
Heston, he hates everything :shifty:

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

WestwayKid wrote:
matedog wrote:
Me. My mate is a superfan and used to play them incessantly. Too dark and unmelodic for me.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
15 Jun 2021, 9:32am
WestwayKid wrote:
matedog wrote:
Heston, he hates everything :shifty:
I would never take that crown from you.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Heston wrote:
15 Jun 2021, 9:33am
WestwayKid wrote:
matedog wrote:
Me. My mate is a superfan and used to play them incessantly. Too dark and unmelodic for me.
You need to relisten. It might change your mind on them being unmelodic... ;)

Heston

Post by Heston »

WestwayKid wrote:
15 Jun 2021, 10:08am
Heston wrote:
15 Jun 2021, 9:33am
WestwayKid wrote:
matedog wrote:
You need to relisten. It might change your mind on them being unmelodic... ;)
Well they have melodies, just not ones I like. It all seems so overwrought to me.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

matedog wrote:
I mean, he was in the 90s. I sat by him at a bar in the Cincy airport and was too nervous to approach him.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

My only association with them is that they were on that awful Clash tribute album playing (I think) LITS.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

That album Gentlemen is pretty good. Don't know much else by them.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Kory wrote:
15 Jun 2021, 1:17pm
My only association with them is that they were on that awful Clash tribute album playing (I think) LITS.
Same.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

For those unfamiliar, it is pretty goddamned bad …
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Jun 2021, 2:21pm
For those unfamiliar, it is pretty goddamned bad …
I actually fuck with that cover big time. Dulli’s voice seems to be a bit hit or miss love it or hate it with a lot of folks. I love it though.