‘Sorry Ma, Forgot to Take Out the Trash’ Box Set

General music discussion.
Sparky
Unknown Immortal

‘Sorry Ma, Forgot to Take Out the Trash’ Box Set

Post by Sparky »

New Replacements box set coming in October 2021. LP & 4 CD's of a remastered version of "Sorry Ma..." as well as outtakes, unreleased song, demos and a 1981 live show from the 7th Street Entry.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... t-1210479/
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: ‘Sorry Ma, Forgot to Take Out the Trash’ Box Set

Post by Flex »

oh god, these sets or gonna kill me. I had skipped a bunch of big sets the last few years because it was all boomer shit but there's some tasty ones coming out this calendar year.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Looks pretty awesome. What hasn't been released yet? Has that live show been available in boot form?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

matedog wrote:
11 Aug 2021, 1:12pm
Looks pretty awesome. What hasn't been released yet? Has that live show been available in boot form?
I've been reading the track listings, from what I can tell, there are at least 2 songs I don't have on various live or studio bootlegs I have (Try Me & She's Firm). The other demos, outtakes and alternatives are likely better quality versions of ones that have been circulating on bootlegs for years. The live show at the 7th Street Entry has a date given of 1/23/81 from KFAI FM, but I've not been able to find the bootleg.

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

This is a very pleasant surprise, I think the rumours of a future Mats deluxe reissue were for one of the later albums.
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Some sound samples on their Twitter page.

And it should go without saying, whatever you do, don't tell Heston about all of this! :mrgreen:

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

The live show in this box hasn’t been released or even bootlegged before, except for three songs, which is all that was ever broadcast on KFAI. It’s different than the Soundcheck show from later in ‘81, which circulates on video and audio. Still would like to see (or hear) a remix of Tim.

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
12 Aug 2021, 12:10am
The live show in this box hasn’t been released or even bootlegged before, except for three songs, which is all that was ever broadcast on KFAI. It’s different than the Soundcheck show from later in ‘81, which circulates on video and audio.
Presumably 'Soundcheck show' = the 7th Street Entry gig, which is great - pro-filmed, stereo audio and great performances and songs. I thought that deserved an official DVD release years ago,although TwinTone Records uploaded it to view at their website and now on Youtube. It would have made a nice addition to this reissue, but maybe DVDs are less of a draw now (and it would also get flak as a cash grab from many)
Still would like to see (or hear) a remix of Tim.
Yeah, that's the one I seemed to think was lined up next for the deluxe reissue treatment. A logical candidate. But, we're talking about the Replacements here... :mrgreen:
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

marxwallace
Corner Soul

Post by marxwallace »

Can't wait for this hardly). My favorite rock and roll record. Growing up just outside of MPLS got to take the bus down and see them often. I always thought I had all their '81 Entry shows, but I'd be happily surprised to hear something new. Same goes for the outtakes. I've got at least a dozen cassettes of the Sorry Ma outtakes, but I've never heard of "She's Firm." If you look at the runout groove on teh vinyl, you can see the words REMS Rule, REMS was Jim Walsh's band. Incidentally, if you ever come across a show called "Zoogies, 1980" get your hands on it immediately.

marxwallace
Corner Soul

Post by marxwallace »

The live show in this box hasn’t been released or even bootlegged before, except for three songs, which is all that was ever broadcast on KFAI. It’s different than the Soundcheck show from later in ‘81, which circulates on video and audio. Still would like to see (or hear) a remix of Tim.
Are the 'Mats known to Mick at all?

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

marxwallace wrote:
14 Aug 2021, 11:45pm
Are the 'Mats known to Mick at all?
He does know who they are. I’m not sure how much he’s heard of their music.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Rhino is releasing a video for "I Hate Music" from the upcoming box set, this will be the first Mats video in over 30 years. Knowing how much the Mats disliked music videos, I'm curious to see what it's going to look like, probably old footage from live shows I'd guess.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

I don’t have the cash for box sets lying around, but I love this album.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Great album. I like that they have chosen alternative takes for the vinyl, that's a nice touch. I see there's also a 7" of "I Hate Music" available. I hope 'Let It Be" gets a super deluxe.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Marky Dread wrote:
21 Aug 2021, 4:22am
Great album. I like that they have chosen alternative takes for the vinyl, that's a nice touch. I see there's also a 7" of "I Hate Music" available. I hope 'Let It Be" gets a super deluxe.
I'm hoping Rhino sells enough of this one to motivate them to dig deep and find enough material to continue with these box sets. I'd like to see both "Let It Be" & "Tim" reissued in a similar fashion.