Charlie Watts

General music discussion.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Charlie Watts

Post by WestwayKid »

I think Charlie deserves his own thread.

My dad was/is a Beatles guy. He never liked the Stones, so my early love for the band was a subtle bit of rebellion on my part. My first real exposure to their music was picking up a cassette copy of Hot Rocks. I played it until it wore out. They have been a musical constant for me since I was a pre-teen. Charlie really was always the coolest member of the band. He was cool because he didn't try to be cool. He was just Charlie: stylishly dressed with a bemused look on his face. His playing was never flashy, but he didn't need to be flashy. He was the perfect drummer for the band. He understood the art of hanging back in the groove and allowing the music to move and swing. He never drew attention to himself as a drummer, content to sit back and lay down the beat. I've always felt that the musical heart of the band was the connection between Charlie's solid drumming and Keith's solid rhythm guitar. It's been said that during the 60's, despite not being able to hear much else due to the period's crummy PA equipment, that Charlie always insisted on being able to hear Keith's guitar amp. Check out the official bootleg, Brussels Affair, from their 1973 European Tour. The first track is Brown Sugar and right away you hear and feel the power of Charlie and Keith: it starts with Keith's legendary riff and then Charlie rolls in and within a few bars, they are in total sync and the power is incredible. Listening to them live is also a reminder that he was a powerful drummer. He was no lightweight, but he also had a great understanding of dynamics: he could hit them hard, but when a song called for a more subtle feel, he had that, too. I'm sure they'll go on. It's what they do, but without Charlie I don't know if it will ever truly sound like the Rolling Stones ever again.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Re: Charlie Watts

Post by Sparky »

Just listening to some RS this morning, still shocked.
Really liked Keith Richards post on Charlie's passing.

God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Sparky wrote:
25 Aug 2021, 12:54pm
Just listening to some RS this morning, still shocked.
Really liked Keith Richards post on Charlie's passing.

Yup, Keith's Tweet was perfect.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

There is the classic (and oft told) story of when Charlie punched Mick in the early 80's. For those who don't know, they were in Amsterdam. Mick and Keith had been out very late and on their return, a drunken Jagger phoned Charlie's room, saying "Where's my drummer?" Charlie hung up the phone, showered, shaved, and dressed himself in a stylish Saville Row suit. He then went to Mick's room, walked in without saying a word, grabbed Jagger by the lapels and said, "Never call me your drummer again" before leveling him with a right hook. Keith later said it took hours to talk Charlie down and that upon going to his room, Watts announced he was going to go down and punch him again (which he didn't do).

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

I am and have always been a huge Stones fan and collector, am totally gutted with no words to say, only tears. It's still too shocking to grasp that Charlie is gone.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Also gutted. The only thing in the same Universe at the Stones are Bowie and the Clash as far as I'm concerned.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Public Service Announcement: Sirius/XM Channel 27 is all ROLLING STONES for the time being
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Charlie never played in the pocket, he was in HIS OWN POCKET. Tremendous loss. Ironic how the one clean member of the Stones dies before Mick and Keith.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
25 Aug 2021, 9:50pm
Charlie never played in the pocket, he was in HIS OWN POCKET. Tremendous loss. Ironic how the one clean member of the Stones dies before Mick and Keith.
Keith will probably outlive them all.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

The Rolling Stones released this video tweet paying homage to Charlie Watts.

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Sparky wrote:
27 Aug 2021, 7:42pm

That's just great! Thanks for flagging it up (I don't use twitter)

It could perhaps only be improved by adding some of the footage from the It's Only Rock & Roll video, where Charlie gets engulfed with bubbles, but keeps on playing. You can tell the band all had a laugh on that shoot.

Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

JohnS wrote:
27 Aug 2021, 9:19pm
Sparky wrote:
27 Aug 2021, 7:42pm
That's just great! Thanks for flagging it up (I don't use twitter)

It could perhaps only be improved by adding some of the footage from the It's Only Rock & Roll video, where Charlie gets engulfed with bubbles, but keeps on playing. You can tell the band all had a laugh on that shoot.
I don't "use" twitter either, I just stumbled upon an article that had the link to the tribute and wanted to share it.
Yeah, bubbles were over the top, but Charlie carried on like a pro.