Does anyone think Spotify/streaming will ever die out?

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Does anyone think Spotify/streaming will ever die out?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 2:47pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 1:54pm
Kory wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 1:45pm
Torrenting is still popular, though. Comcast just took away Cartoon Network from my base package and rather than pay a $221 bill every month, I'm instead going to gank Rick and Morty from wherever I can.
If you don't know about it, here's an amazing resource for streaming old and new cartoons: https://kimcartoon.li/
This is supremely helpful, thanks! Looks like a lot of great stuff here (until somebody shuts them down, as per usual).
It's been around for several years, so it might have legs. It's also easy to download the content (not the greatest resolution, but still …).
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

I'm not sure how it will eventually play itself out really. I have never ever paid for any streaming service and I never ever will. When I had heard that one service (not sure which one) paid artists $0.01 for every 500 "plays" or whatever they call it, I knew my decision to never pay for streaming music was the right one.
I have my own beefs with the recording industry, seeing as I have for example in my lifetime purchased 9 copies of the Beatles' album "Rubber Soul". Great album, I absolutely love it to death. I bought several copies of the vinyl, then 2 cassettes, then an 8-track tape, then cds. The vinyl's got scratched, the cassettes got eaten, the 8 track might still work but who has a player these days, I mean, c'mon already. I've bought so many modes of the same recordings over the decades its unreal. And then they want to come after me because I freely share and download music? I've got a couple of large trash bags filled with 8 track tapes I bought, where's my recompense for all that wasted money? When they wish to come after me, i'm ready.
So, the thought of paying for streaming music (this also includes SiriusXM) is reprehensible to me. I will keep on pirating music as necessary but honestly all the old music I ever had or ever wanted, I have been able to either rip myself or acquire via the internet without paying additional fees (anyone remember Usenet newsgroups?) and the same goes for anything new that might emerge. There are plenty of sites out there (foreign to the US in nature) that for a small fee you can download anything they have over the course of a week, month or yearly term. I have found lossless, and even a shitload of Hi-Res audio (which is better quality than anything other than vinyl) and I don't pay a thing. When I want to "discover" new music, I turn on the radio and listen to that for a few hours. Then if I find something good, I turn to the internet and get my copy.
I have never paid for an MP3 and based on audio quality alone I would never do that. Record companies have been ripping me off for too long for me to fall for that bullshit.
With today's audio players/software I can easily convert mp3s for my personal use and control the quality of the encoding, and then create a playlist or just load the music folder and click "shuffle" and voila I have my own stream. For me, that is the way it should be but most average people are lazy or can't be bothered to do it themselves. I never hear a song I don't like so its just the perfect set-up. I have also loaded a shitload of mp3's on my phone so I travel with over 100 GB of mp3's wherever I go.
The artists are the ones who SHOULD be paid, not the record compaines or internet services, its a total ripoff for the artists and the consumers. Streaming? Screw that. I hope it DOES die a very slow and costly death. But its been dead to me from the beginning.
Last edited by weller259 on 08 Sep 2021, 7:26pm, edited 1 time in total.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Streaming...streaming is free
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak