The Specials Protest Songs 1924-2012

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Has anyone heard this? Thoughts?

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Specials Protest Songs 1924-2012

Post by Sparky »

I pre-ordered it back in August, but I've received a couple of emails saying the release was delayed until 10/1/21. Haven't seen any shipping updates as of today.

**Edited for an update***
My credit card was charged for the order today, so it must be preparing to ship.
Last edited by Sparky on 02 Oct 2021, 8:11pm, edited 1 time in total.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

It's being shared on Soulseek if you want to hear it right now.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

The deluxe version with the 2 live songs:

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

on September 29, 2021 the Specials were broadcast live on Steve Lamacq's BBC 6Music show. The broadcast was posted on Dime a week ago or so. This is the info file that was posted.

The Specials

BBC Radio Theatre
Broadcasting House
London
UK

Thursday 29th September 2021

Broadcast live on Steve Lamacq's BBC 6Music show

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001005z
BBC 6Music archive stream > get_iplayer > .ts (aac, 320kbps/48k) > ffmeg (trimming)

01 - interview
02 - Do Nothing / Freedom Highway / Everybody Knows / Stereotype / Ain't Gonna Let Nobody / Listening Wind / A Message To You Rudy

Running time [40:23]

The Specials join Steve Lamacq live in the BBC Radio Theatre to play tracks from the upcoming new album Protest Songs – 1924-2012, released on 1st October.

The new album features the band's take on a series of protest songs, originally performed by the likes of Talking Heads, Leonard Cohen, Bob Marley and Leonard Cohen. It's the band's first release since the chart-topping Encore which came out in 2019.

auto_pilot
September 2021

I downloaded it, then split the music track into individual tracks. If anyone wants it, here is a link

https://mega.nz/folder/SsdB2KiS#VCB7vYDxgRR18VggOONhzg

its not bad, have to give it a few listens to see if any of it sticks. I like the Specials so i'm just glad they are doing something, lol.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

weller259 wrote:
04 Oct 2021, 7:48pm
on September 29, 2021 the Specials were broadcast live on Steve Lamacq's BBC 6Music show. The broadcast was posted on Dime a week ago or so. This is the info file that was posted.

The Specials

BBC Radio Theatre
Broadcasting House
London
UK

BBC 6Music archive stream > get_iplayer > .ts (aac, 320kbps/48k) > ffmeg (trimming)

01 - interview
02 - Do Nothing / Freedom Highway / Everybody Knows / Stereotype / Ain't Gonna Let Nobody / Listening Wind / A Message To You Rudy

The Specials join Steve Lamacq live in the BBC Radio Theatre to play tracks from the upcoming new album Protest Songs – 1924-2012, released on 1st October.

The new album features the band's take on a series of protest songs, originally performed by the likes of Talking Heads, Leonard Cohen, Bob Marley and Leonard Cohen. It's the band's first release since the chart-topping Encore which came out in 2019.

auto_pilot
September 2021

I downloaded it, then split the music track into individual tracks. If anyone wants it, here is a link

its not bad, have to give it a few listens to see if any of it sticks. I like the Specials so i'm just glad they are doing something, lol.
Thank you!

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Sparky wrote:
04 Oct 2021, 7:59pm
weller259 wrote:
04 Oct 2021, 7:48pm

The Specials

BBC Radio Theatre
Broadcasting House
London
UK

01 - interview

auto_pilot
September 2021

Thank you!
Seconded!
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

I've always loved Zappa's 'Trouble (Coming) Every Day,' even if I could never work out if it was tongue in cheek or genuinely sincere - it's the most un-Zappa-like song he ever released. But it certainly works as a straight protest song, with some great lyrics.
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Thanks Weller 259 for sharing.

I've got the album on order. Two different colored vinyls.

Although I wish they had recorded some new material. I love how it's winding up people who think The Specials were just a Ska band.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Got a shipping update on mine yesterday, but the tracking is pretty vague. So being as I'm in the US, I suppose I'm looking at the end of this month. Wish it had some sort of tracking number so I would know it was really on its way.

Standard Delivery Times
UK Approximately 1-4 working days – due to the current global COVID-19 pandemic, orders can take up to 1 - 7 days to arrive
Europe Approximately 7-10 working days – due to the current global COVID-19 pandemic, orders can take up to 7 - 20 working days to arrive
USA / Canada Approximately 10-14 working days – due to the current global COVID-19 pandemic, orders can take up to 10 - 20 working days to arrive
Rest of the World Approximately 7-20 working days (depending on location) – due to the current global COVID-19 pandemic, orders can take up to 7 - 20 working days to arrive