The Years Ago thread

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Years Ago thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 12:15pm
I'm a couple of days late but 30 years ago the movie Wayne's World was released and I'm pretty sure Queen record sales skyrocketed from the use of "Bohemian Rhapsody" in the movie.

I can't be the only one who liked WW when it was a strange end-of-the-episode piece on SNL. The more popular it got, culminating in the movie, the more irritating it was. That's a real jaded hipster position, I know, but it was better before it got popular.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 12:24pm
Sparky wrote:
I'm a couple of days late but 30 years ago the movie Wayne's World was released and I'm pretty sure Queen record sales skyrocketed from the use of "Bohemian Rhapsody" in the movie.

I can't be the only one who liked WW when it was a strange end-of-the-episode piece on SNL. The more popular it got, culminating in the movie, the more irritating it was. That's a real jaded hipster position, I know, but it was better before it got popular.
I liked both, but I thought the movies were especially good. In fact, I just got the double bluray. But I'm younger than you, and so it was a pretty quick jump from seeing the SNL reruns on Comedy Central to seeing the movies.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 2:21pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:

I liked both, but I thought the movies were especially good. In fact, I just got the double bluray. But I'm younger than you, and so it was a pretty quick jump from seeing the SNL reruns on Comedy Central to seeing the movies.
I think, for me, that I really can't stand Mike Myers or Dana Carvey for more than a couple minutes hinders my appreciation. I've never watched more than ten minutes of any Austin Powers movie because MM just gnaws on my nerves.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 2:40pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:

I think, for me, that I really can't stand Mike Myers or Dana Carvey for more than a couple minutes hinders my appreciation. I've never watched more than ten minutes of any Austin Powers movie because MM just gnaws on my nerves.
I wasn't watching SNL during that era. So I never got it when people referenced these skits and church lady and a bunch of others. I did see the movie(s)? and I want to say there were some good laughs but couldn't tell you what they were.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

i haven't seen WW in, like, forever but still can't help reading Socrates phonetically every time i see it and it really bugs me. Do really enjoy the AP movies, though.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 2:40pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:

I loved it on SNL, but like you, I can only take so much of Mike & Dana outside of WW, can't watch Austin Powers at all.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Low Down Low wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 3:09pm
i haven't seen WW in, like, forever but still can't help reading Socrates phonetically every time i see it and it really bugs me. Do really enjoy the AP movies, though.
Isn't that from Bill and Ted?
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JennyB wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 11:55am
Low Down Low wrote:
Sure is.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 2:32pm
JennyB wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 11:55am
Low Down Low wrote:
Sure is.
Corrected.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

40 YA— The Clash, Combat Rock!

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Day late & a dollar short here, but significant enough to warrant a mention I think.

50 years ago yesterday (6/16/1972) David Bowie released "The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders from Mars".

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Pleased to Meet Me 35 YA on the 17th!

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Inder wrote:
18 Jun 2022, 1:58am
Ha! Another link to the Elvis movie soundtracks.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Inder wrote:
Damn, how'd I miss that one?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Sparky wrote:
18 Jun 2022, 9:01am
Inder wrote:
Damn, how'd I miss that one?

I don't know. Maybe you drank too much red red wine then started tossin' n turnin' ended up with the nightclub jitters and eventually fell of the ledge. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia