First Songs You Remember Hearing

General music discussion.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: First Songs You Remember Hearing

Post by revbob »

weller259 wrote:
19 Dec 2021, 12:09am
the first song I remember was Ticket To Ride, when I was 3. My mother bought the 45 for me as I read the word "records" off the wall in the department store we were in. Not bad for a 3 year old. I also remember that every year during the holidays, the parents would pull out a bunch of records (some 78's) which we would listen to as my parents sung, the one I remember was "16 Tons", love that song. The first record I paid for with my own money was Abbey Road in 1969. My Beethoven-loving father would not just buy the record for me, I had to pay him for it in order for him to go to the store and buy a "beatles" record. It was 5 dollars which was a lot for a poor kid of 7, lol. The first record I actually went to the record store, bought with my own money and brought home to immediately listen to was Black Sabbath's Sabotage in 1975 when I was 13.
Good call!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

The Jungle Book Soundtrack (1967). My first album released in August 1967 and bought for my third birthday a month later. I still own it and it's still in excellent condition.
Attachments
JungleBookSTFront-600.jpg
JungleBookSTFront-600.jpg (139.14 KiB) Viewed 1269 times

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Marky Dread wrote:
19 Dec 2021, 1:30pm
The Jungle Book Soundtrack (1967). My first album released in August 1967 and bought for my third birthday a month later. I still own it and it's still in excellent condition.
Hello,

We had the record of the story - same voices, etc. My folks used to put it on as we lay in bed supposed to be falling asleep.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
I had that, tho the cover was different—more of a brownish background. That and a performance of Swiss Family Robinson, excerpted from the Disney movie, stand out in my memory as full albums I played a lot.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Dec 2021, 1:53pm
Marky Dread wrote:
I had that, tho the cover was different—more of a brownish background. That and a performance of Swiss Family Robinson, excerpted from the Disney movie, stand out in my memory as full albums I played a lot.
It's one of my prized possessions now.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
19 Dec 2021, 3:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Dec 2021, 1:53pm
Marky Dread wrote:
It's one of my prized possessions now.
I think I need to download a copy now!
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I do recall a headless horseman record now that we would play while spinning around in circles till we fell down. And probably some Iris folk music before any rock music now that I think about it. My dad mainly listened to the all news channel.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Rock was played in my house when I was young, so it could have been anything by Sabbath, Bowie, Cooper, ELP, or Mott The Hoople. I seriously don't remember.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Can't exactly recall, but my dad played lots of country / western music, so it was probably Johnny Cash or Willie Nelson. Mom was Elvis & Johnny Mathis type stuff.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Due to a combo of radio and MTV, my earliest remembered tracks (outside of Disney) are
Caribbean Queen—Billy Ocean
Never Gonna Give You Up—Rick Astley
Mona Mona—Peter Cetera
The Locomotion—Kylie Minogue
I Got My Mind Set On You—George Harrison
etc.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
20 Dec 2021, 6:38pm
Due to a combo of radio and MTV, my earliest remembered tracks (outside of Disney) are
Mona Mona—Peter Cetera
etc.
Wow, I never knew The Locomotion was such a big hit in the US. It sounds so rinky dinky and shit.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
20 Dec 2021, 6:49pm
Kory wrote:
Mona Mona—Peter Cetera
etc.
Wow, I never knew The Locomotion was such a big hit in the US. It sounds so rinky dinky and shit.
I looked this up because I was curious and it turns out there was a 1987 version produced by Mike Duffy, and then a 1988 version by SAW that was the big hit as far as I can tell (at #3 for a couple weeks). They also produced Astley, as you probably know, so I bet it was riding on the Never Gonna Give You Up success from the previous year.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Kory wrote:
20 Dec 2021, 7:28pm
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:
Mona Mona—Peter Cetera
etc.
I looked this up because I was curious and it turns out there was a 1987 version produced by Mike Duffy, and then a 1988 version by SAW that was the big hit as far as I can tell (at #3 for a couple weeks). They also produced Astley, as you probably know, so I bet it was riding on the Never Gonna Give You Up success from the previous year.
It’s a testament to how checked out I was from pop music in general from about 1987-1989 (with a few exceptions) that I have no memory of hearing almost any hits from this period until much later.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Wolter wrote:
20 Dec 2021, 8:15pm
Kory wrote:
20 Dec 2021, 7:28pm
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:
Mona Mona—Peter Cetera
etc.
It’s a testament to how checked out I was from pop music in general from about 1987-1989 (with a few exceptions) that I have no memory of hearing almost any hits from this period until much later.
I was only 4 or 5 at the time so it's just whatever my parents had on in the background while I was TRYING to watch the Smurfs.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Definitely Dancing Queen and various songs off of the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack. For ages, I thought the Bee Gees were women.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy