The Punk Road to Damascus

General music discussion.
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: The Punk Road to Damascus

Post by matedog »

Interestingly, my "punk" gateways were mainstream outlets. I got Ramones Mania for my 13th birthday. I thought they were catchy. The local radio stations played "I Wanna Be Sedated" pretty regularly in 94/95 and they were a lot of fun on the 1995 MTV Movie Awards:

Shit, I haven't seen this since probably 1995. I totally forgot they did "Regulate" in their medley. The Madonna cover comes off the best, I think. It also seems pretty clear that they are miming.

In high school, I went through a classic rock phase and in that mix, I got Story of the Clash in 2001 when I was 17. Should I Stay and Casbah were songs I had been hearing on modern and classic rock radio as long as I could remember. The first disc was the most immediately accessible, though I did eventually get into Disc 2 (the early stuff). As Rolling Stone and VH1 and the likes were big into "Greatest ____ All Time) lists and specials in the early aughts, they turned me on to London Calling which I bought March of 2004 when I was 20 (side note, I also got Bollocks summer before college when I was 18 for that same reason). That really sealed the deal and I was off to being a real Clash fan at that point.

It wasn't until my mid-late 20s, largely because of this board, that I actually tried out Wire, Killing Joke, and generally doing a deeper dive into punk and post-punk. Before that, Matt Patrol got me into Rancid when I was 18, but not much beyond that. I remember moving to Southern California when I was 13 and seeing groups of kids with NOFX and No Use for a Name patches on their backpacks. They skateboarded and defaced KROQ stickers (I radio station I was getting into at the time) by adding "sucks" after, so it seemed a lot less welcoming than it really was.

That's it for my punk exposure. Beyond that for my non-mainstream exposure, doing jazz band in high school was a big one for listening to jazz, latin, big band music even if it's not currently a big part of my listening.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JoseUnidos wrote:
21 Dec 2021, 12:23pm
A year later Dale got seriously into Rush and sold off most of his record collection, which I bought.
How does someone go from punk to Rush? Christ, that's devolution (without ending up at Devo).
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Dec 2021, 1:01pm
JoseUnidos wrote:
A year later Dale got seriously into Rush and sold off most of his record collection, which I bought.
How does someone go from punk to Rush? Christ, that's devolution (without ending up at Devo).
My brother did the same - punk and stuff like Kraftwerk to the fucking Dead. I don't know what's worse.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

I was 11 when Sid killed Nancy and the news reports had the Sex Pistols playing in the background, I heard Anarchy and my life was changed forever.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

coffeepotman wrote:
21 Dec 2021, 1:48pm
I was 11 when Sid killed Nancy and the news reports had the Sex Pistols playing in the background, I heard Anarchy and my life was changed forever.
Well that’s one way to get into them.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
21 Dec 2021, 1:18pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JoseUnidos wrote:
My brother did the same - punk and stuff like Kraftwerk to the fucking Dead. I don't know what's worse.
Human beings are severely irrational.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
JoseUnidos wrote:
In my case it was instruction from my bass teacher. I don't really listen to them but I do play along with a few songs sometimes because it's fun.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
21 Dec 2021, 5:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JoseUnidos wrote:
In my case it was instruction from my bass teacher. I don't really listen to them but I do play along with a few songs sometimes because it's fun.
If you were Catholic, the priest would have a list of penance that would keep you busy for years.

JoseUnidos
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JoseUnidos »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
JoseUnidos wrote:
Yeah, that was/is a real head scratcher. Short answer is Dale played the bass & got obsessed with Geddy Lee.
In space no one can hear you clash!
https://www.rmillerthings.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

All depends how or what is considered punk or punk rock etc. Personally I don't consider the Sex Pistols a punk band and never will. Only the press called them punk. Where as The Clash called themselves a punk band. But it's all moot really as it's all about attitude over style for me.

November 1976
Anarchy in the U.K. (Single)

March 1977
White Riot (Single)

April 1977
The Clash (Album)

May 1977
God Save The Queen (A&M 7")
This one I famously sat on as I left it on my bed. Broke into two halves and I left it on a shelf and when we moved house I forgot it was there. 😕

October 1977
Never Mind The Bollocks Here's The Sex Pistols

Those were the first records I bought or cajoled etc. But lots of cassettes early on with other punk bands as compilations.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JoseUnidos wrote:
21 Dec 2021, 6:56pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JoseUnidos wrote:
Yeah, that was/is a real head scratcher. Short answer is Dale played the bass & got obsessed with Geddy Lee.
Mama, don't let your babies grow up to be Geddy Lee-worshipping bass players.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
21 Dec 2021, 7:29pm
All depends how or what is considered punk or punk rock etc. Personally I don't consider the Sex Pistols a punk band and never will. Only the press called them punk. Where as The Clash called themselves a punk band. But it's all moot really as it's all about attitude over style for me.

November 1976

March 1977
White Riot (Single)

April 1977
The Clash (Album)

May 1977
This one I famously sat on as I left it on my bed. Broke into two halves and I left it on a shelf and when we moved house I forgot it was there. 😕

October 1977

Those were the first records I bought or cajoled etc. But lots of cassettes early on with other punk bands as compilations.
What was it about those records that did it for you?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Dec 2021, 8:23pm
Marky Dread wrote:

November 1976

March 1977
White Riot (Single)

April 1977
The Clash (Album)

May 1977

October 1977

My age. Being bored with a lot of music that the radio had to offer. There was no music that I could consider mine. There were many other great bands from the previous era Stones/Who/Beatles etc but they didn't belong to my time. I love some of the Glam groups T. Rex/Bowie/The Sweet/Slade etc but they didn't speak for me.

What made the Sex Pistols special was they were a band that didn't give a shit about being pop stars and made everything more accessible. We could afford to dress in a punk (I kinda hate that term but hey) style. The music was also more organic and accessible no frills.

The music being exciting short sharp bursts of energy with lyrics to make you think or at least question stuff. When I first heard "Anarchy in the U.K." on John Peel the first line of vocals made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Rotten's voice just seemed to cut through everything like a razor. His diction was fucking incredible and has never been matched. Sure there are loads of other great vocalists but Rotten's voice was the most individual sounding ever.

The siren on "White Riot" was so exciting to me and Mick's guitar sounded immense.

Getting the "Bollocks" album and hearing "Bodies" for the first time. Fucking hell that was a seriously scary track on first play. Like being at an traffic accident where you just can't help staring even though you know it's not right. It had that effect. Knowing that unlike other records of the time you couldn't play this when you're parents were around as they would have a blue fit. It was yours.

I was 12 when "Anarchy" got released. I new what an antichrist was but I didn't really know about anarchy. But by the time the record had finished playing and John had sang "get pissed ...destroy!" It all made sense. It was not about any physical harm but "destroying the passer by" by not being a sheep and becoming like them. Thinking for yourself and not being afraid to be what you want regardless of others.

It was a big change in how I looked at things. I would question everything and accept nothing that I disagreed with. It changed me and maybe looking back it might've damaged me. But I didn't care it made this weedy little kid fearless.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
21 Dec 2021, 8:53pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

November 1976

March 1977
White Riot (Single)

April 1977
The Clash (Album)

May 1977

October 1977

My age. Being bored with a lot of music that the radio had to offer. There was no music that I could consider mine. There were many other great bands from the previous era Stones/Who/Beatles etc but they didn't belong to my time. I love some of the Glam groups T. Rex/Bowie/The Sweet/Slade etc but they didn't speak for me.

What made the Sex Pistols special was they were a band that didn't give a shit about being pop stars and made everything more accessible. We could afford to dress in a punk (I kinda hate that term but hey) style. The music was also more organic and accessible no frills.

The music being exciting short sharp bursts of energy with lyrics to make you think or at least question stuff. When I first heard "Anarchy in the U.K." on John Peel the first line of vocals made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Rotten's voice just seemed to cut through everything like a razor. His diction was fucking incredible and has never been matched. Sure there are loads of other great vocalists but Rotten's voice was the most individual sounding ever.

The siren on "White Riot" was so exciting to me and Mick's guitar sounded immense.

Getting the "Bollocks" album and hearing "Bodies" for the first time. Fucking hell that was a seriously scary track on first play. Like being at an traffic accident where you just can't help staring even though you know it's not right. It had that effect. Knowing that unlike other records of the time you couldn't play this when you're parents were around as they would have a blue fit. It was yours.

I was 12 when "Anarchy" got released. I new what an antichrist was but I didn't really know about anarchy. But by the time the record had finished playing and John had sang "get pissed ...destroy!" It all made sense. It was not about any physical harm but "destroying the passer by" by not being a sheep and becoming like them. Thinking for yourself and not being afraid to be what you want regardless of others.

It was a big change in how I looked at things. I would question everything and accept nothing that I disagreed with. It changed me and maybe looking back it might've damaged me. But I didn't care it made this weedy little kid fearless.
That stuff is fantastic—thanks for sharing. It seems like a lot of how I felt when I heard that stuff, the visceral effect, albeit ten years later. Tho I wouldn't say I felt fearless by it all—I'll always be too insecure for that—but rather it was more that I shouldn't blame myself for feeling like a weirdo or for feeling frustrated by all the assholes in my school. There's nothing wrong with being a weirdo. That'll always be the primal thing for me with punk.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Dec 2021, 9:51pm
Marky Dread wrote:
21 Dec 2021, 8:53pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

November 1976

March 1977
White Riot (Single)

April 1977
The Clash (Album)

May 1977

October 1977

That stuff is fantastic—thanks for sharing. It seems like a lot of how I felt when I heard that stuff, the visceral effect, albeit ten years later. Tho I wouldn't say I felt fearless by it all—I'll always be too insecure for that—but rather it was more that I shouldn't blame myself for feeling like a weirdo or for feeling frustrated by all the assholes in my school. There's nothing wrong with being a weirdo. That'll always be the primal thing for me with punk.
No one should ever be in fear of being different. It's also completely fine to fail and make mistakes.

All the perfection nonsense thrown at us daily by the media that's designed to make us feel somehow inferior was suddenly looking really phoney when punk stuck it's head up over the wall.
All the fake pop stars with nothing to say and nothing to offer but the glitz and glamour didn't look so enticing anymore.

Punk was about reality and making the most of what you had not some fairytale version of life.

It took the negatives and turned them into positives. It was and is life affirming.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia