A Packet of Threes (New, New Challenge Thread)

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: A Packet of Threes (New, New Challenge Thread)

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The Seratones, “Gotta To Get To Know Ya.” Blaxploitationthemesong. Fuzztastic. Awesomeness.

Artsick, “Stress Bomb.” Early80sDIYlofi. Ramshackle. Honest.

DEHD, “Bad Love.” BeMyBabybeat. Sweet. Disposable.

Quite liked all of these, but Artsick is really in my wheelhouse. Thanks, man—you dunned güd!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I have my own catchup to do but in the interest of giving everyone a full week to noodle through my picks, here we go:

The Darts - Breakup Makeup

Garage rock out of Huntington Beach. They've had a few releases but put out a full length on Alternative Tentacles a few years ago which is how I heard of them. Some of their other stuff is surfier and others a bit more goth, but I like this punchy little number.

Bite Me Bambi - Crazy (Lee "Scratch" Perry Remix)

I've definitely posted some Bite Me Bambi in our ska threads before, but don't think I've included them in this exercise before. This remix from the man himself turns their sound into a poppier and more throwback ska sound, which I thought some folks may enjoy. They're fun.

El-P - Up All Night

And now for something completely different. El-P's I'll Sleep When You're Dead was one of my favorite albums of 2007 and this is one of its standout tracks, imho. Now he's famous all over again for Run the Jewels but he spent the aughts running a killer hip-hop label and putting out some excellent solo records. I was listening to a few of his singles again and it got me all nostalgic.

EDIT: Corrected the El-P song title/video mismatch
Last edited by Flex on 16 May 2022, 5:58pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Flex

Post by Flex »

Okay, great, catching up on a few packets now. Here's Oliver's selection.

Ugress - Zombie Eagles: I love this. Great, ominous feeling. Has that feeling of social heft like a Public Enemy, who you namechecked, but sonically this is much more contemporary. A real great driving groove. 8/5/10

Sampa the Great - Final Form: Another track that immediately starts with a killer groove. Really great flow and then loved the more soulful touches. Again, some great lyrically conscious music. I googled her album to hear more as this was playing. 9/10

Big Joanie - Fall Asleep: Again with the propulsive, driving start. To a slightly different effect here, but this is real great too. A nice groove. Rocking, in a sense, but love the different musical affectations it pulls in. You could dance or chill to this, equally. 10/10

Exceptional packet, oliver. Exceptional.

Pex Lives!

Flex

Post by Flex »

Okay, now Doc's packet. Let's play his little game, shall we?

Wolfgang Press - Shut that Door: Scratchy. Propelling. Loungesingerysorta.

Viet Cong - Continental Shelf: Raise up Revolutionary Ethics, Eliminate Individuals by Ho Chi Minh

Slothrust - Like A Child Hiding Behind Your Tombstone: Detached. Armslength. Andthenholyfuckthatguitarkicksin.

Very nice stuff, Doc. The Slothrust, in particular, is very much to my taste. Real enjoyable sit-through!

Pex Lives!

Flex

Post by Flex »

And, catching me up, here's gkbill's packet.

The Seratones - Gotta To Get To Know Ya: Grand grooviness. The bass is a little slinky, which I love. Inspired and even a little inspiring vocals. Doesn't quite play it straight as retro rock and soul, some very nice contemporary touches but it's exactly the same sort of energy I look for in those old tunes. 8/10

Artsick - Stress Bomb: These folks have the sort of sound that reminds me of driving around late nights in college, doing whatever. Nice guitar work and the singing really works for me. FWIW, I really enjoyed the music video too. 2:30ish was just the right length too. I found the intro and outro whispering amusing. Nice and tight little tune. 7.5/10

DEHD - Bad Love: I suspect this is one of those where the video aesthetic can't help but play into how you feel about the song. Well, it worked for me. At first I was worried this would be another one of those "never quite kicks it into gear" songs and, well, it doesn't really kick into gear but its charms largely won me over. It being another 2:30ish length tune probably helps. A light and airy feel, somewhat at odds with the visuals. 7/10

Very nice gkbill. I'd listen to all of these on the reg (and may perhaps start doing so!)

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Really cool 60s garage feel to this. Never heard of them before which is cool. Excellent stuff

This one I've heard before and it's a bit too light weight for my Ska tastes. But there is nothing wrong with it either. I wouldn't turn it off.

El-P - Up All Night
This one is very interesting musically. Lyically/vocally does nothing for me. But that backing track is very cool. So I can dig it.

Good stuff Flex. Thanks.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

These gals hq e been on my radar and were on my list for future packet of 3s.Picked up thete album on an AT sale a few years back. Great choice.

I like it could be a bit more ska forward at times but interests me enough to add to my list for further exploration

El-P - Up All Night

This is different, enjoyed it should again seek out more.

Great choices Flex. You're on point when you steer cltear of that 90s/DMB crap.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 May 2022, 4:48pm
I started this one like two weeks ago right before the COVID hit.

Wolfgang Press, “Shut that Door” - wasn't expecting to like this, but the groove is great, the weird abrasive touches are fun, and the off kilter vocal is great. Doesn't change too much throughout, but I like it. 8/10.

Viet Cong, “Continental Shelf” - Spot on for that early 80s post punk influence, particularly in that sharp guitar. Bass is up front on a fun wall of fuzz. Vocals are really inspired. I love the female vocals when the fuzz dissipates. It's a really well done transition. The second verse adds that galloping rhythm underneath. Another inspired arrangement choice. Again, another one I didn't expect to like, this is really well done. 8.5/10

Slothrust, "Like A Child Hiding Behind Your Tombstone” - Wasn't too sure as this one was starting up, but again another band that doesn't mind twists and turns with tempo/feel shifts. I live for this shit. Didn't expect that guitar solo either. The vocals were a little lacking for me, but this was still great fun. 7.5/10

Probably best batch I've listened to in a long time. I really dug all of these.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Such a wave of relief when I realised it was The Darts and not Darts. If you're not familiar with Darts, don't look them up unless you hate your earballs. The Darts remind me a bit of The Coathangers who I always mean to post but never do. It's a simple formula but so effective when done well like this. It's kind of lofi and ramshackle but it made me want to switch to my Schiit stack with Sennheiser headphones to get the full effect and it worked.

My ska-window is very narrow, I'm afraid. It has to be really specific to move me and the number of songs that do it would easily fit on one record. Not to say I actively dislike it but it kind of washes over me like pop music. Therefore, ska + pop doesn't really stand a chance. Unless it was the occasional song by No Doubt. I never said this made any sense.

El-P is one of those artists where I never really dislike anything they do* and really love some of it. This is no exception. I love the frantic feeling to it. I guess I'm now going on an El-P/RtJ binge.

The Darts - Very nearly it
Bite me Bambi - bit too poppy
El-P - better than Kendrick

* edit: not including that difficult jazz album he did.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

I'll post these so I don't forget.

Spectres : Cold War
Post punk offering that reminds of early Killing Joke/Joy Division.

TV Smith's Cheap : Luxury in Exile
Such an underrated artist. Just real passion.

Wayne Kramer : Talkin' Outta School
Just a great track I've been really digging of late.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The Darts, “Breakup Makeup.” Bangbangbang. (Asmymotherwouldsay). Womengetpunkperiod.

Bite Me Bambi, "Crazy (Lee "Scratch" Perry Remix)." Reggaenotska? Niceandmellow. RedhairfuckoffHoy.

El-P, “Up All Night.” Vocalsmeh. Rhythmandnoiseisprime. Nonaffecting(sorry).
Last edited by Dr. Medulla on 24 May 2022, 8:28pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog

Post by matedog »

gkbill wrote:
11 May 2022, 7:18pm

The Seratones - Gotta To Get To Know Ya
I don't think the instrumentation melds well with the vocal. It's like a weird industrial early 90s vibe but with a more soulful vocal that just doesn't work well for me. That being said, the vocal performance is really good and the instrumental track separately is good. 6/10.

Artsick - Stress Bomb
This could be a late 80s/early 90s indie alt lo-fi single. Hook is good and the performance is charming. 7.5/10. Added to my playlist.

DEHD - Bad Love
I actually already had this one on my playlist. I like, don't love, these guys. This another fun one. Peppy and catchy, what's not to like? 7.5/10
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
24 May 2022, 5:06pm
Artsick - Stress Bomb
This could be a late 80s/early 90s indie alt lo-fi single. Hook is good and the performance is charming. 7.5/10. Added to my playlist.
Interesting that you identify it as late 80s/early 90s because it sounds entirely like early 80s lofi DIY post-punk, inspired by but radically departing by the punk reset. But I dl'd their album; it's a good 'un.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 May 2022, 5:19pm
matedog wrote:
Artsick - Stress Bomb
Interesting that you identify it as late 80s/early 90s because it sounds entirely like early 80s lofi DIY post-punk, inspired by but radically departing by the punk reset. But I dl'd their album; it's a good 'un.
I could certainly be off about which subgenre this is similar to. I'm not an expert in these areas, just kinda reminds me of some obscure stuff from around that time that I got into when I worked at a radio station in college.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
24 May 2022, 6:02pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 May 2022, 5:19pm
matedog wrote:
Artsick - Stress Bomb
I could certainly be off about which subgenre this is similar to. I'm not an expert in these areas, just kinda reminds me of some obscure stuff from around that time that I got into when I worked at a radio station in college.
Ah, gotcha.