A Packet of Threes (New, New Challenge Thread)

General music discussion.
Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: A Packet of Threes (New, New Challenge Thread)

Post by Silent Majority »

Cool, glad to get varied feedbacks! Keeps things interesting. Thanks for trying 'em.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sorry that this slipped past me. I won't appeal any late penalties, sir.

Big D and the Kids Table, “Shine On.” Monotonousvoice. Nicenlaidback. Solidbrass.

Kele, “Everything You Wanted.” YeahBlocParty! Earnestalmostdesperate. Cooldaddyo.

Skinny Lister, “Damn the Amsterdam.” Probably. Need. Tobedrinking.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I'll post my response thi weekend and deliver my 3 next week. Traveling this week and exhausted.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Stuck on the tarmac edition...

Big D and the Kids Table, “Shine On.” Monotonousvoice. Nicenlaidback. Solidbrass.

I ignored them for years but listened to a few based on Flex's recommendation. I like some songs and not others. This souds like socal frat ska, lyrically mainly. Like others have said I enjoy a good ska tune in general.

Kele, “Everything You Wanted.” - Good song, but not my bag.

Skinny Lister, “Damn the Amsterdam.”
I like this good sing along pub drinking song.

Thanks James. Some good stuff here. Mostly new artists too so always a good thing.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Ok not my full on noise terror 3 Ive been promising, more going with what Ive been listening to of late. Hope some of you enjoy it and/or at least find it new/interesting.

The Devils - Red Grave. Noisy Italian garage punk. A sonic assault from start to finish. They took their name from the 1970s b horror movie of the same name.

Bridge City Sinners - Witches Wrath.
Appalachian death folk. Their sound is a bit unusual as are the vocals but this shit has grown on me like a case to TB.

Adia Victoria - Clean.
Changed from Dead Eyes to Clean. This was the first song of hers Id heard.
Her music style defies easy description/categorization, some might call it Americana there's certainly some blues and country influences in there. The one constant seems to be the dark lyrics.
Also her voice seems to remind me of Sinead O'Connor...

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Silent Majority wrote:
08 Jun 2022, 3:45am
Shining On - Reminds me a lot of late 90s radio ska that I enjoyed. So I like it, but not super deeply. Fun and reminds me of summer. 7/10

Kele - Really nice melody on this one. Production/arrangement seems very much 2010 and that's not a bad thing. Get a lot of TV on the Radio vibes from this (though maybe they were influenced by him). 8/10

Damn the Amsterdam - Stomp/clap tracks are a soft spot for me. Cool stuff with some great harmonies. Don't think I could listen to a whole album of this, but it's very enjoyable 7/10.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

The Devils: pretty fun noise; I could probably use a little more musical orientation; they sound like they'd be a fun night out.

Bridge City Sinners: way too country for me; fiddles (not violins) and banjos are not my friends.

Aida Victoria: I can respect this work but not necessarily want to seek out; cool vibe but I want more energy.

Thanks, rev! Three new to me so I'm better for the experience.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

gkbill wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 2:56pm
Hello,

The Devils: pretty fun noise; I could probably use a little more musical orientation; they sound like they'd be a fun night out.

Bridge City Sinners: way too country for me; fiddles (not violins) and banjos are not my friends.

Aida Victoria: I can respect this work but not necessarily want to seek out; cool vibe but I want more energy.

Thanks, rev! Three new to me so I'm better for the experience.
Thanks gkbill. Fiddles and banjos can be your friend if you let them.

For Adia try the song "Dead Eyes", definitely more energy but in truth her music tends to be somewhere between these two songs.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

FUCK YEAH LET'S DO IT REVBOB

The Devils - Red Grave: Completely 100% my aesthetic. Perfect. No additional notes required. 10/10

Bridge City Sinners - Witches Wrath: I'm a big fan of gothic country/death folk/etc. type of music. I know these guys, maybe another one you turned me onto already, lol. I'm a big fan of the vocal work. Another 10/10 for me.

Adia Victoria - Clean: This one is definitely new to me. I like it. Very atmospheric, almost folk but not quite. Reminds me (in a good way, I like them) of CocoRosie or maybe like Joanna Newsom if Joanna Newsom was a fair bit more goth. 8.5/10

All winners. Your finest outing yet, my good man.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

All three of these would work better for me as part of a film soundtrack (especially The Devils) or a TV theme (Bridge City Sinners and Adia Victoria) so my "review" will be the kind of film/show I'd love to hear them on. It kind of makes sense with the origin of the Devils name.

You said Bridge City Sinners was a grower but I found all them to get better with repeated listens. Adia was probably my favourite but it was also the most immediate so maybe by next week I'll have switched. I think I'd prefer Bridge City Sinners if it had less of a "steam-punk" feeling. I'm reasonably confident at least one band member has one of those waxed mustaches. I do love that there's a place for stuff like that (the non-standard instrumentation, not the 'tache.) I also loved the shambolic ending to The Devils.

The Devils - A shot-for-shot remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Bridge City Sinners - The next season of True Crime
Adia Victoria - A documentary about police corruption and cover-ups. You know one is always just around the bend.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Flex

Post by Flex »

Your most interesting write up yet, Oliver!

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The Devils, “Red Grave.” Razeitall. Fuckyeah. Burn!
Bridge City Sinners, “Witches Wrath.” Realfolk. Livingtradition. Beautiful.
Adia Victoria, “Clean.” Mysterious. Dangerous. Magnetic.

All your offerings are solid winners, like the 2004, 2007, 2013, and 2018 Red Sox!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jun 2022, 8:06pm

All your offerings are solid winners, like the 2004, 2007, 2013, and 2018 Red Sox!
There's no denying the Sox did win those years.

Im glad people seem to be warming up to these threes. I think the Bridge City Sinners and Adia Victoria are not necessarily immediate grabbers. The Devils are certainly a welcome punch in the face from the get go, the others might require some extra attention.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
24 Jun 2022, 8:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Was my Chico-ing too subtle? I should have mentioned that it was the birthday of Little Richard’s cousin Waldo, who once took a piss in Oxford, MS.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jun 2022, 9:05pm
revbob wrote:
24 Jun 2022, 8:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Was my Chico-ing too subtle? I should have mentioned that it was the birthday of Little Richard’s cousin Waldo, who once took a piss in Oxford, MS.
Waldo really was a legendary pisser, to be fair.

Pex Lives!