A Packet of Threes (New, New Challenge Thread)

General music discussion.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: A Packet of Threes (New, New Challenge Thread)

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jul 2022, 3:06pm
revbob wrote:
20 Jul 2022, 3:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jul 2022, 2:41pm
matedog wrote:
20 Jul 2022, 2:10pm
I thought because the songs didn’t sound good that Doc would like them more. Because Swans.
:sad: People here are just uncouth! No couth whatsoever.
It must be nice to be throwing down insults from your ivory tower.
It is! And quite satisfying that you appreciate it!
One of my post AOL email addresses was thru some old wonky thing UVM had that members of the community could sign up for. It gave you a .edu address so I was often accused with "ivory tower" statements. At first I didn't know what the fuck that even meant.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
20 Jul 2022, 3:44pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jul 2022, 3:06pm
revbob wrote:
20 Jul 2022, 3:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jul 2022, 2:41pm
matedog wrote:
20 Jul 2022, 2:10pm
I thought because the songs didn’t sound good that Doc would like them more. Because Swans.
:sad: People here are just uncouth! No couth whatsoever.
It must be nice to be throwing down insults from your ivory tower.
It is! And quite satisfying that you appreciate it!
One of my post AOL email addresses was thru some old wonky thing UVM had that members of the community could sign up for. It gave you a .edu address so I was often accused with "ivory tower" statements. At first I didn't know what the fuck that even meant.
I use the phrase "Oh for fuck's sake" too much to be granted keys to the ivory tower. :meh: (I also teach stuff that 80% of the faculty regard as a bullshit, so there's that, too.)
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Yet another three that are new to me. I've lived a very sheltered life.

Soul Glo was like listening to a whole album condensed into 3 and 1/2 minutes. I do worry for the singers vocal cords though - that can't be healthy - so I feel a little guilty liking it. Kind of like watching Prince do all those dance moves knowing that it caused the problems that got him addicted to pain killers. I liked it though - very addictive and makes me want to scream along (but in moderation.) Enjoyable video too. They sound nothing what I'd expect a group called Soul Glo should sound like.

The System was the most conventional and reminds me in places of Bleach by Nirvana (the bits that aren't straight up heavy metal) - the ending really elevated the song out of being a little of it's time and does makes me want to listen again.

Horse the Band will be playing when I'm finally admitted to the asylum. I can't deny it - I like the computer sounds - and describing the 'whole' would make no sense but somehow it works. Maybe because the Super Mario parts are not constant. I might have to make this my favourite.

I really enjoyed all three!
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Hey Kory, you're up next, bud.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

This thing is on life support.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
26 Jul 2022, 8:02am
We fucked up by not making a living will. It's just going to linger in and out of consciousness, babbling, wanting to die but the law forces it to slowly and painfully deteriorate.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jul 2022, 8:46am
revbob wrote:
We fucked up by not making a living will. It's just going to linger in and out of consciousness, babbling, wanting to die but the law forces it to slowly and painfully deteriorate.
Maybe a monthly pack of 1 is the solution?

But seriously I really enjoy this and its predecessor as Ive come to learn of some great artists that I have added to my regular rotation this way.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
26 Jul 2022, 9:18am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

But seriously I really enjoy this and its predecessor as Ive come to learn of some great artists that I have added to my regular rotation this way.
The problem (if problem is the right word) is that some people are good with routine and some aren't. That's not a judgement statement, indicating superiority of one or the other. Something like this was always going to work for people who gravitate to routines, and the longer it goes, the more the division is exposed. Good (occasionally great) while it lasted, but never destined to be long-lasting.

I'm quite happy if we can agree that Hoy's final picks were such that everyone agreed to declare it dead. :shifty:

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jul 2022, 9:44am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

The problem (if problem is the right word) is that some people are good with routine and some aren't. That's not a judgement statement, indicating superiority of one or the other. Something like this was always going to work for people who gravitate to routines, and the longer it goes, the more the division is exposed. Good (occasionally great) while it lasted, but never destined to be long-lasting.

I'm quite happy if we can agree that Hoy's final picks were such that everyone agreed to declare it dead. :shifty:
I dont give up that easily

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
26 Jul 2022, 10:26am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jul 2022, 9:44am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

I dont give up that easily
I have a merit badge in white flag raising. :approve:

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Yeesh, this thread can't end with fucking Horse the Band.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Soul Glo - I like the music but screaming vocals aren't a great sound - live, it usually seems poser-ish; and on recordings, pretty much the same.

The System - as a few others have said, it's a good track but kind of generic - I don't mind it but I wouldn't buy it.

Horse the Band - not offensive but not inspiring - see my previous comments about screaming; the singing part is okay.

3 new to me bands. I don't necessarily like them but I'm better for having heard them. Thanks!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
26 Jul 2022, 10:42am
Yeesh, this thread can't end with fucking Horse the Band.
I kinda think it should, like leaving a skull on a fence post as a warning to others.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I refuse to let this thread die on matey's wet farts (actually, I liked his last packet quite a bit)! Here's a packet for you all to stuff into your ear-holes:

Ithaca - Camera Eats First: I've been an Ithaca fan for a some years now. Think I may have discovered them from their first demo that was shared on the fantastic Fuck Yeah Female Fronted Hardcore blog. Here's their new single off the new record. Quite the music video imagery to go with the music, for what it's worth. Fresh punk rock for your earholes, part 1:

Special Interest - (Herman's) House: Here's a new one to me. A fresh new single as in just came out like two weeks ago. This band got a write-up in the recently relaunched Creem and they sound kick-ass autobiographically as well as musically. That article is here: https://www.creem.com/fresh-creem/speci ... st-profile Fresh punk rock for your earholes, part 2:

Ximena Sariñana - Different: And now for something completely different. Mexican popstar who had some crossover success about a decade ago (I got turned onto her because she did a delightful cover of Bob Dylan's I Want You),this popped back into my brain a few weeks ago. Not really the kind of music I'd expect a bunch of 10/10s, or share in a packet in the dead of winter, but it's lovely music when it's ungodly hot out and even the music video makes me feel like I'm in a nice, cool swimming pool. Also, turns out this song was co-written with one Timothy "How The Fuck Does Encunciation Work Anyways" Armstrong. So Punk Rock. Everone needs a little summertime pop in their lives.

THE PACKETS LIVE
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

Ithaca - Camera Eats First -- The early part of the song musically to me is a bit iffy but the second half it gets better. But screaming vocals are so not my thing. So that diminished it for me a lot. Once that stopped, it got a lot better, lol. 5/10
Special Interest - (Herman's) House -- This was good, I liked it. I didn't think it was punk rock personally but it has a good sound and vibe. 7/10
Ximena Sariñana - Different -- I don't mind a pop song if its catchy and upbeat and I admit I liked this one a lot. 8/10
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope