A Packet of Threes (New, New Challenge Thread)

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: A Packet of Threes (New, New Challenge Thread)

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
02 Jun 2022, 4:49am
revbob wrote:
01 Jun 2022, 6:08pm
Still no sign of Heston... James???
I'll throw three together a bit later, sure.
5 days later. Surely you've fixed that toilet by now.😉

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Marky Dread wrote:
07 Jun 2022, 3:55pm
Silent Majority wrote:
02 Jun 2022, 4:49am
revbob wrote:
01 Jun 2022, 6:08pm
Still no sign of Heston... James???
I'll throw three together a bit later, sure.
5 days later. Surely you've fixed that toilet by now.😉
I best get started on pickung my 3.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I daresay, the attrition rate is greater than when it was five songs.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jun 2022, 7:11pm
I for one blame others.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

revbob wrote:
07 Jun 2022, 7:20pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jun 2022, 7:11pm
I for one blame others.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

I'm not bothered by attrition. I need to hear new music from anyone. Those who consistently post new stuff are appreciated. " There's just gotta be new music...." - I think that was Mick that said that (or something similar).

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

gkbill wrote:
07 Jun 2022, 8:18pm
Hello,

I'm not bothered by attrition. I need to hear new music from anyone. Those who consistently post new stuff are appreciated. " There's just gotta be new music...." - I think that was Mick that said that (or something similar).
Ive been building up a list of 30 to 40 artists for this and now I gotta pick 3 and then one song. I have touch material for this.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

revbob wrote:
07 Jun 2022, 8:35pm
gkbill wrote:
07 Jun 2022, 8:18pm
Hello,

Ive been building up a list of 30 to 40 artists for this and now I gotta pick 3 and then one song. I have touch material for this.
Hello,

I've got a bunch of new stuff as well - most of it I like!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

I'll just post some old stuff and pretend it's new. :shifty:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Partyska. Dumbguys. Likable.

Indie. Heartwarmed. Xx-lite.

Dropk. Catchy. Invigorating.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
16 May 2022, 2:43pm
Still playing catchup.

The Darts - Breakup Makeup
Uptempo scuzzy rocker, what's not to like? Nine times out of ten I'm going to like a song with this beat/tempo and this is one of those times. Nothing mind blowing, but lots of fun. Great guitar solo and keyboard part. 7.5/10

Bite Me Bambi - Crazy (Lee "Scratch" Perry Remix) - Solid tune if a bit too clean. Not sure why this is offputting, but something about the vocal doesn't quite fit with my expectation. It sounds like Gwen Stefani, but more professional, which seems less appealing. Otherwise, well done, just doesn't come together super well for me. 6/10.

El-P - Up All Night - I was going to put RTJ on my next Three, might not now. I actually didn't get into El until RTJ, so I'm late to the party. I had heard about him and even that he has a rap song in like 5/4 which is insane. The dude is super talented and this one is great. Great drums on this. 8/10
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 May 2022, 5:09am
Spectres : Cold War - I was thinking "this reminds me of Killing Joke" and then read your little intro. Great guitar work and arrangement with the vocals. Lots of cool musical detours. I'm not huge into post-punk, but this really really well done and incorporates a lot of the arrangement tricks I really enjoy. 8/10.

TV Smith's Cheap : Luxury in Exile
Oof, that snare sound is rough. Sounds like the "Alex Chilton" (song not the guy) snare but worse. He's trying, but his voice is a bit weak and it doesn't help that his voice is so loud in the mix. It's not bad by any means and I always go for a cut time prechorus. There's some nice guitar work, but all in all, it doesn't do much for me. 6/10.

Wayne Kramer : Talkin' Outta School
Here's that scuzzy rock I was hoping for. Vocal melody doesn't do much for me, but everything else is on point. The tempo change at 2:40 and that piano part is really my jam. Instrumentally, this is pretty awesome, but the vocal part brings it down a little for me. Still a really fun listen. 7/10
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Maj's 3, let's see if he can live up to his previous standards or if, like all Irish, he succumbs to moral turpitude and sloth:

Big D and the Kids Table - Shine On: A band I am very, very familiar with. They were at the height of their popularity when I was in college back east, so I saw them a bunch of times since they're a Boston band (natch). We used to drive around at all hours (as one does at that age) along the backroads of western mass singing along to LAX and so forth. Great times. As one might expect from the energy, they put on a killer show. The only memory that doesn't age so well is how uncomfortable into it everyone was singing along to their cover of Little Bitch. Ah well. Youthful ignorance. Anyways, I remember when they put this song out it felt like the first time they'd really slowed it down at all. I love it. 10/10

Kele - Everything You Wanted: Very earnest. All the components here are fine - I put this in the category of "I'd feel a bit hip if someone put this on at a party (or, er, whatever type of social gathering an old fuck like me might attend now) and I could be like "hey, I know this" but it never quite grabs enough that I'd go out of my way for it. Again, still a very nice listen. I might rate it a little more highly if I was listening to it late at night or early in the morning rather than at 2 in the afternoon in 90 degree weather. 6.5/10

Skinny Lister - Damn The Amsterdam: You'll never hear me say a word against Skinny Lister. This rules. Love the Skinny Lister/Longest Johns shanty mashup, lmao. Pure Flexbait. 10/10

As usual maj, it feels like you assemble these for me.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Big D and the Kids Table - I have a couple of albums by these guys. Fun, Bosstones - lite stuff. I don't play them often but they're fine.

Kele - Sincere, earnest, but yeah, it's lightweight. Again, not bad but nothing I'd spend cash on.

Skinny Lister - different (is the rest of there stuff equally pirate-y/Irish-y?) - kind of forced. I really liked Adam and the Ants - I think they're songs were better and they occasionally made some social commentary. I have a bit less enthusiasm for these guys.

Kele and Skinny Lister are new to me and I had almost forgotten Big D - thanks for posting these!

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Firstly, who am I to tell someone about what they should write about but the opening line to Big D and the Kids Table is possibly the most boring premise for a song I could imagine. I also have to take issue with the 'likeable' description. There's something about that singer I find really annoying which is kind of frustrating because I kind of like the music despite not being a lover of ska. I doubt a ska instrumental would keep my interest though (unless it's Liquidator by Harry J Allstars)

Musically, I really like Kele. I like the vocals too... but something about music and vocals combined doesn't quite work for me. I'd love to hear rap over the top or the vocals over something a little less electronic. Not bad though.

Skinny Lister - I like the idea of a shanty but it only really works for me if you're in a crowd of inebriates with everyone joining in. I couldn't really imagine listening to this outside of that situation. Although a shanty does give a lot of opportunity to make jokes about seamen (doesn't work as well written down)

Big D - less vocals please
Kele - more collaboration please
Skinny - more booze please
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps