A Packet of Threes (New, New Challenge Thread)

General music discussion.
oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: A Packet of Threes (New, New Challenge Thread)

Post by oliver »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 8:48pm
oliver wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 8:36pm
For the new thread I was going to try three word reviews but that's just dumb (maybe it would work for a few songs but no doubt end up gimmicky.)
Challenge accepted, you sombitch! (I reserve the right to make up words to evade the self-imposed rule.)
Super, smashing, great
Keep it up
I might too
You never know
It's not hard.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Los Bitchos - The Link is About to Die
I like it but dont care for some of the instrumentation nor the production that seems to round off and dull any sharp edges. Its a little too background music for me although there were a few points where I was pulled back in. I like surf music but it felt too muted. 5.5/10

Wolfmen - Urban Voodoo
This is more my speed (nobody is surprised by that). Im cool with the Lars-esque vocals but I sort of feel like the song structure seems a little off if that makes any sense. Like it doesnt have a proper take off/flight/landing. Its more a grower than a shower, meaning I liked it more with repeated listening. 6.5/10

Guardian Singles - Tea Lights Exploding

It sounds familiar but I know Ive never head it nor the band before. I like the drumming (he said for the first time ever). Its a good song, also improved with repeated listening. 6.5/10

A solid selection of completely new stuff well chosen.

Hopefully we can keep this ball rolling.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Tom, are you set with a set?

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Okay, gkbill's list before I fall behind in round one:

Los Bitchos - The Link is About to Die: This is great stuff. I'm a sucker for good instrumental music, especially surf inspired. Dig that guitar and it's got a real nice slinky feel to it. Feels like it should be soundtracking a cool indie thriller flick. Just insanely cool music. 9/10

Wolfmen - Urban Voodoo: This sounds really familiar in a way I can't quite place. Very reminiscent of late 80s underground rock, which i tend to quite enjoy. Again, really enjoy the guitar work and that chugging beat. Vocals take a little getting used to but I was sold by the end. 7/10

Guardian Singles - Tea Lights Exploding: This one also feels very familiar, as you mention, but more straightforwardly art-rock/post-punk vibes. Only thing is I didn't love the drumming but those jangly guitars work here and, as mentioned by others, they really pull off the ending. 6.5/10

Very solid start to the new thread, thanks gkb!
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

The Real Mckenzies - Smokin' Bowl. Fast paced, great tune and it's got some bollocks to it. Puts a spring in my step whenever I hear it, it's just a perfect song. The beat changes in the last chorus and it works so, so well, as does repeating the last line 3 times, love it.

Embrace - Thank God You Were Mean To Me. Embrace, yes, but not as you've heard them. No signs of wimpy indie band here, this is angry-relationship-break-up Embrace, it's driving, "fuck" is in the lyrics and it's known (amongst the 20 hardcore Embrace fans) for Danny Mcnamara (lead vocals) likening himself to Kubrick (hmm, not quite sure there) by censoring his own work (for the best, the lyrics were horribly misogynistic)

Catfish and the Bottlemen - Kathleen. Love the energy and power in this one, smashing vocals and a song that keeps getting better and better throughout.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The Real Mckenzies, “Smokin' Bowl.” Chugchugchugchug. Arenapunk. Kilty.

Embrace, “Thank God You Were Mean To Me.” Sludgemix. Hornynoise. Surewhynot.

Catfish and the Bottlemen, “Kathleen.” Indie. Reallyindie. Likereallyindie.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

already, tom's three:

The Real Mckenzies - Smokin' Bowl: I know the RMs by dint of their aesthetic, and I've seen 'em live, but I don't think I actually have any of their music. They're like if the Dropkick Murphys were a Fat Wreck band, which in my young punk days I'd have said was an insult but not anymore. In any case, this is the sort of thing I really like. Real nice example of what they do. Agreed that the chugging sound is a good benefit here. 8/10

Embrace - Thank God You Were Mean To Me: I was actually excited for about 20 seconds until the vocals kicked in. It sounds like they listened to a bunch of Bush and Stone Roses growing up. Technically the best song by this band I've ever heard. Sorry Tom, it just ain't gonna happen. 2/10

Catfish and the Bottlemen - Kathleen: This is fine indie rock. It sounds like the sort of thing I'd have encountered on a freebie comp being given out at a local record store or, like, Newbury Comics when I was in college. I can imagine myself hearing it and thinking "this isn't bad, maybe I should check out the band next time I'm in the store" and then never doing it. 6/10

We never quite totally sync Tom, but I always appreciate the effort. Thanks for the tracks!
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

The Real Mckenzies, “Smokin' Bowl.”
I enjoy bagipes they always improve a song. Used to play The Real Mckenzieson when I did a radio show back in the 90s/early00s. Have a copy of their hard to find debut whichI recall being excellent. This one is done to the tune of Leaving of Liverpool/Fare Thee Well, My Own True Love. 7/10

Embrace, “Thank God You Were Mean To Me.” I thought we might have something at the start but it quickly started sucking instead. Singer is fucking awful. 1/10

Catfish and the Bottlemen, “Kathleen.”
Not bad has some high points when it gets aggressive but then it keeps falling back into boring me mode. They have promise. 6/10.

Thanks Tom!

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

There are some groups that I can't imagine anyone actually loving. I can see how they get respect and appreciation but they lack a certain something that elevates them to the 'obsession' category. Embrace are one of those. And I suspect Catfish and the Bottlemen are too but I shouldn't really judge them on one song as I've been very wrong before (hello IDLES - a group I love)
I'm not including The Real McKenzies as part of that because they're making music that is quite alien to me and not for me but I do see how people could love them (hello Flogging Molly! - another group I don't get)

The Real McKenzies:
music: liked the solo
vocals: couldn't work'em out

Embrace:
music: like a lot
vocals: a bit whiny

Catfish and the Bottlemen:
music: it's decent enough
vocals: slightly above average
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 4:40pm
I enjoy bagipes they always improve a song.
Future historians, take note: this is where revbob and I fell out.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 8:19pm
revbob wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 4:40pm
I enjoy bagipes they always improve a song.
Future historians, take note: this is where revbob and I fell out.
It was a tenuous peace at best.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

The Real Mckenzies: really good energy - needs cymbals throughout not just in the chorus - I kept waiting for Bob and Doug to make an appearance - close enough to Dropkick Murphys for me without getting too close.

Embrace: good start - vocals meh but the guitar sound is good - it sounds like they know a good sound and are trying to replicate it without the sincerity.

Catfish and the Bottlemen: way too smooth for me - they try to look edgy but it doesn't come across - vocals try to get edgy ~55s in but never really gets there - not bad but too smooth alt indie sound.

All in all, a good group to listen to for me. I had heard some Catfish and the Bottlemen but not this track. Thanks, Tom!

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Enjoyed reading the reviews, cheers all!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Whose turn?

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

revbob wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 10:55am
Whose turn?
Hello,

gkbill
Tom
Flex
Marky Dread
Heston
Silent Majority
revbob