A Packet of Threes (New, New Challenge Thread)

General music discussion.
gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Re: A Packet of Threes (New, New Challenge Thread)

Post by gkbill »

revbob wrote:
18 Aug 2022, 10:45pm
gkbill wrote:
18 Aug 2022, 10:24pm
revbob wrote:
18 Aug 2022, 9:37pm
weller259 wrote:
18 Aug 2022, 8:54pm
revbob wrote:
18 Aug 2022, 6:11pm
Someone is slacking. Flex was the last one on the list to post, and Weller breathed some life into it come on fuckers pick up the pace. And Matey was recent too.

gkbill
Tom
Flex
Marky Dread
Heston
Silent Majority
revbob
WestwayKid
matedog
Kory
oliver
Olaf
Medulla
Kimmelweck - MIA for real, hope he's ok.
You can add me to the list, I can post more if wanted, but I have no problem waiting my turn.
Well many people who initially signed up for this have abandoned it. Perhaps the summer months have been busy ones for a lot of people.
Hello,

I've got a bunch of new groups. I'll wait but I can go whenever. To those who still post and respond, thanks! New music is vital. The New Music Sucks thread need to have people visit this thread.
Yeah I don't care if it came out yesterday or 50 years ago, it can stil be new to these ears.
Hello,

Great music is timeless. You may be able to identify the era (and say it's dated) but if it's great, it's great. I can provide examples.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Oops.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Ok, trying to keep the flame alive.

Texas seems to be ground zero (at least in the US for black female fronted punk bands here I give you two of them.

Mutha Falcon - End of Oblivion. Ass kicking punk rock, enjoy.

BONDBREAKER - Kill Your Gods. Yes also from Texas. Not quite as polished as Mutha Falcon and maybe a bit more meltal but I dig it.

Not fr Texas
Nova Twins - Devil's Face
Certainly more of a metal influence here. They remind me a bit of Bob Vylan. They have elements of punk, metal, hip hop. They played at SXSW this year and Big Joanie (who Hoy hates) aeig supporters. Im enjoying them a great deal.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

Mutha Falcon - End of Oblivion ... Good song, had some trouble making out some of the vocals but overall I like the sound and would definitely listen to more. 7/10

BONDBREAKER - Kill Your Gods ... Another good song, like the slightly heavier-ish almost metal sound. The riff sounded to me like it could have been Buzzcocks circa 1979, I liked this one a lot. 8/10

Nova Twins - Devil's Face ... I liked this one a lot as well. I like this style of music very much, fast beat and rocking. 8/10

A great batch from my perspective.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Mutha Falcon - great stuff! Intense, energetic, and a sense of musicality - what's not to love? I'll seek out more of their stuff.

Bondbreaker - agreed more metal-ish - good (but not as good as Mutha Falcon) but the noodling is unnecessary - the ending (coda?) is blah metal - good overall, though.

Nova Twins - again more metal-ish - as above, good - I can take or leave the effects - good energy and intensity.

Thanks for posting - two goods and a great - all 3 new to me!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

gkbill wrote:
25 Aug 2022, 12:05pm
Hello,

Mutha Falcon - great stuff! Intense, energetic, and a sense of musicality - what's not to love? I'll seek out more of their stuff.

Bondbreaker - agreed more metal-ish - good (but not as good as Mutha Falcon) but the noodling is unnecessary - the ending (coda?) is blah metal - good overall, though.

Nova Twins - again more metal-ish - as above, good - I can take or leave the effects - good energy and intensity.

Note to self gkbill not a big fan of banjos nor metal. ;)

Glad you enjoyed these. There's so much good stuff out there hopefully we get more people submitting again.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

revbob wrote:
25 Aug 2022, 6:50pm
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

Glad you enjoyed these. There's so much good stuff out there hopefully we get more people submitting again.
Hello,

I do like some metal - usually metal that doesn't take itself too seriously (e.g., AC/DC...if they're considered metal). Heavy metal that's too metal-ish is not good if that makes sense.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

gkbill wrote:
25 Aug 2022, 8:15pm
revbob wrote:
25 Aug 2022, 6:50pm
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

Hello,

I do like some metal - usually metal that doesn't take itself too seriously (e.g., AC/DC...if they're considered metal). Heavy metal that's too metal-ish is not good if that makes sense.
Yeah I get you. I have some some affinity for metal but don't take it too seriously. Its a musical platform that often shoots itself in the foot.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

mutha-falcon - they definitely have a 70s keyboard wizard just desperate to break out (exhibit A is that solo around 1:10.) I love the intensity of this despite those noodly keys. Short and angry - just how I like things. I say angry, I'm assuming it is because I can't actually tell 90% what the singer is saying but I'm enjoying it enough to try to find out.

bondbreaker - they definitely have a metal guitarist just desperate to break out (exhibit A is that solo around 1:55) - I'm glad the rest reined them in because I prefer it that way

nova twins - I don't have a "pithy" comment to make about a solo here because once this starts it's relentless until the end. I'm not sure I could describe this to someone and do it justice. I feel like my face has been slapped. And weirdly, I liked it.

All three are really good.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Here's some new stuff.

Swami John Reis - Ride the Wild Night
If you remember Rocket from the Crypt, you'll recognize the voice.

Oneida - Opportunities.
Pretty good noise - at some points, it's like a guy playing with a guitar rather than playing a guitar.

Swansea Sound - Rock 'n' Roll Void
Someone mentioned the Pooh Sticks and I think one of them is in this group - "Went to the Ramones when I was 13, they're the coolest thing I've ever seen..."

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

gkbill wrote:
30 Aug 2022, 10:57am
Hello,

Here's some new stuff.

Swami John Reis - Ride the Wild Night
Very catchy song, I dig it.

Oneida - Opportunities.
Noisy as advertised and I like it.

Swansea Sound - Rock 'n' Roll Void
Im not liking the vocals very much here, the instrumentation and lyrics are cool but singer dude's voice kind of bugs me.

Another solid 3, other than knowing the RFTC connectionafter you mentioned it, these are all very new for me. This thread, although abandoned by oh so many, continues to deliver the goods. Well done gkbill!

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

Swami John Reis - Ride the Wild Night ... Real good song, catchy and enjoyable, I was actually a bit upset it ended when it did, I wanted it to keep going. 8/10

Oneida - Opportunities ... cool sounds, I liked this one alot. Guitar effects were real cool too. 8/10

Swansea Sound - Rock 'n' Roll Void ... huge Pooh Sticks feel to this one, the vocals (male and female) were in the Pooh Sticks. I will say the male singer hasn't aged too well visually (lol) and he didn't really sound like "himself" until the second part of the song (to my ears anyway) but I was a big Pooh Sticks fan so hearing this was a really cool thing for me. I know rev doesn't like the Pooh Sticks singer from my 3 packet so i'm not surprised the vocals ruined it for him on this. I liked it alot though. 8/10

Another great set of songs. This thread is cool.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Swami John Reis - I find his voice a little jarring at first but then I can get into it a little bit. It would fall under 'solid album track' if I had any sort of grading system going. I kind of liked it best around 2 minutes when the lead guitar/riffy part came to the foreground.

Oneida -this was different. I love how it starts out reasonably conventional but then the voice just comes and goes and you get all these weird effects too. Liking this one a lot

Swansea Sound - really reminds me of of some late 80s/early 90s (eighnteys?) stuff I used to listen to - almost Wedding Present-y at times - I can imagine David Gedge's voice over the top. I wonder if 2:09 is a call back to the The Kinks because it sounds like the ending of "Days"

Solid set of three but I think Oneida gets the gold medal
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Doc, you're up!!!

Quit fucking slacking.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

revbob wrote:
07 Sep 2022, 9:49pm
Doc, you're up!!!

Quit fucking slacking.
Hello,

Yes. Please post some new music. Surely you can appreciate a thread more focused on the future rather than what Beatles song you're thinking about (no offense to those more involved with that thread).