A Packet of Threes (New, New Challenge Thread)

General music discussion.
weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Re: A Packet of Threes (New, New Challenge Thread)

Post by weller259 »

A Christmas Packet of Threes that has absolutely nothing to do with Christmas!

Loose Joints - Tell You (Today) from the early 80's "new music" phenomenon ... this song was heavily featured on the Long Island "new music" radio station ...

Northside - Take 5 ... don't know much about these guys but I love this song.

The Undead - The Way We Behave ... short and sweet.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Loose Joints - TBH, I was expecting rap based on my minimal knowledge of 4th & B'way but I got this kind of disco-y/poppy but not quite disco and not quite pop song. I like it a lot. It even reminds me of BADII towards the end. I don't think I would ever be disappointed to hear that again.

Northside - it's a Festivus miracle! A song I am familiar with. It seems like by the time they released their first song (Shall We Take a Trip?) you just needed to say you were from Manchester to pick up a record deal and get in the top 40... but I think they failed to even reach those heights and it screamed 'bandwagon' to me. This was by far their best IMO and even though the Balearic bongos, no doubt trying to get in on some that Happy Mondays popularity, dates it a little, it sounds better than I remember and I wonder if I'm a little harsh on them. Doesn't really inspire me to see if I still have the album though. I was given to me and I'm sure I gave it away too without giving it much attention.

The Undead. Back to song/artist that are brand new to me. Lots to like about this one too. I get the impression if you saw them live you'd get about 30 songs each of 2 minutes or less... and that would probably fill up my hump of snotty punk/pop for another year.

Fave has to be Loose Joints - totally unexpected.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

weller259 wrote:
24 Dec 2022, 2:37am
Loose Joints - Tell You (Today) from the early 80's "new music" phenomenon - This is very interesting/unique. It sounds like it could have been an indie single in 2012 and I don't mean that in a negative way. I like it. 8/10.

Northside - Take 5 - Classic 1-4-5-4 progression. Heavy bongos, it's pleasant enough but a bit too sweet without changing anything up. 5/10.

The Undead - The Way We Behave - Nice punkabilly feel. Good switch up on the drums. Short and sweet as you say, catchy and fun. 7/10.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog

Post by matedog »

gkbill wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 5:54pm
Martha - Please Don't Take me Back: very catchy guitar/drum arrangement. Not a huge fan of the singer's voice. Hook is alright, not great. The instrumentation is the high point for me. 6/10

Pile - Loops: "driving" is a good descriptor for the beat. It's a busy beat in a good way. The big industrial sound is one I enjoy in small doses. I like it, though it required a lot of focus. There are some nice changeups particularly at the end. I'll give it a solid 7.

Single Mothers - Enough for You: Very post punk vibe. Lots of darker, more abrasive sounds. Sounds like something up Doc's alley. Cool bass and guitar arrangement, but the vocal is a bit too repetitive for my liking. Pretty good, but not really my thing. 6/10.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Loose Joints - pretty good rhythm to begin but becomes too polished and synthetic (70's - early 80's disco?)

Northside - really familiar guitar track early (it sounds like I should recognize it); the vocals remind a bit of the Blow Monkeys (I haven't listened to them in a long time - don't know why I thought abou tthem when hearing this track); again, I would like a bit more edge/rough edge to the track

The Undead - it sounds a bit rushed; would be better if slower more composed; good vocals

3 new bands and tracks. I'd probably rank Northside 1, the Undead 2, and Loose Joints 3 (I think Loose Joints would be better if they headed in a more Liquid Liquid/Konk direction). Thanks for posting!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

weller259 wrote:
24 Dec 2022, 2:37am
Loose Joints - Tell You (Today) : Not my usual but its not bad either. I was waiting for it to go somewhere else musically another gear for lack of a better term. Vocals were the week point for me.

Northside - Take 5 : Starts off a bit like 2 Princes by the Spin Doctors. Doesn't really get me going though

The Undead - The Way We Behave ...
The one band I am of course familiar with. I've never given them a broad listen but this works for me.

Nive job Weller, sorry for the tardiness. I blame "the holidays".
Last edited by revbob on 02 Jan 2023, 10:45am, edited 1 time in total.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator

Post by weller259 »

revbob wrote:
01 Jan 2023, 5:15pm
sorry for the tardiness. I blame "the holidays".
hey no worries, the music ain't going anywhere anytime soon, lol. Glad to read other peoples' reactions to these songs, its a neat thing.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Happy new year - happy new music!

Thick - Loser. Very fun rock and roll - straightforward guitar.

Ride - Beneath. These guys remind me of Stone Rose/Byrds mashup for some reason.

These New South Whales - Changes. This band is probably my favorite since doing this thread. Energy, singing, guitars, pretty good pace.

This is probably one of the strongest sets I've posted - in my opinion, of course.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator

Post by weller259 »

Thick - Loser. Musically this was good, the vocals kinda not so much. The chorus was ok. Not bad.

Ride - Beneath. This one I like a lot. Good sound, definitely has a sort of Byrds-y vibe going. Very good.

These New South Whales - Changes. I like this one too, got a good sound going on here. Nice raunchy guitar sound. Very good.

All new to me and a very entertaining set.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Step up, people.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

gkbill wrote:
06 Jan 2023, 12:17pm
Hello,

Step up, people.
Sorry i keep forgetting

matedog

Post by matedog »

gkbill wrote:
02 Jan 2023, 2:22pm
Thick - Loser. Has a real mid 90s alt vibe. Doesn't really add much, but great uptempo feel with some cut time changes. Fun stuff like you said particularly the shouty verses vs. the melodic chorus. 7/10.

Ride - Beneath. Not a style I ever really get into. It's not bad - good harmonies, busy drums, some nice lead guitars, and a good key change during the instrumental, but it's all so dense throughout without much changing, that it doesn't stick for me. 5/10.

These New South Whales - Changes. Love the staccato driving guitar with the uptempo drums. Cool tune that i'll give more listens to. 8/10.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Thick - never heard of them. I find the song a little schizophrenic. I like the music and the singing in the verses, not too fond of the singing in the chorus but I think that's because I like the verse so much. I think I'd like both if they were different vocal tracks to the same song though. I guess I want them to be either angry or happy but not angry and happy.

Ride - one I'm familiar with. One of those groups I've tried to like many times but I always end up finding them a bit 'samey.' I don't really dislike anything I've heard but I can only take so much. So as a 4 minute song, this is great -really enjoyed it. In fact, I'm going to have to dig out Nowhere again and maybe this time it will stick.

Changes - never heard of them. Enjoyed this one a lot too... the guitars sound really good together and it got in my brain a little

Fave is probably just about Ride - because I still want to like them
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

gkbill wrote:
02 Jan 2023, 2:22pm
Thick - Loser: Fun, upbeat, poppy punk. Yeah I dig it.

Ride - Beneath: Its got a bit of the Kids in the Hall theme to it initially (good thing). The music is good but the vocals/singing style are a let down.

These New South Whales - Changes: This is good stuff too, also not too keen on the vocals but I do enjoy the music.

My first exposure to all 3.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I got something brewing...