A Packet of Threes (New, New Challenge Thread)

General music discussion.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: A Packet of Threes (New, New Challenge Thread)

Post by Flex »

Thanks all for the comments! Glad it seemed like there was a little something for everyone in this new music. Marky, I believe you are up next.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 4:21pm
Dissidente - Labor Day: Tight ska-core with those big chorus vocals. Not crazy about the lead vocalist, though it fits the style. Cool breakdown at the 2:30 mark. It's fun, but not something I'm going to revisit frequently. 6/10

Scowl - Bloodhound: I'll withhold a review on this one since hardcore, particularly atonal vocals just ain't my thang. I dig that they have a female singer which I think isn't common for the genre. On your rec, I checked out Seeds to Sow and wow, it sounds like a different band. Very cool and I'll check out more of their stuff.

Spindrift - MKULTRA: groovy stuff. It's pretty dense but well performed, arranged, mixed. 7.5/10
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Here's my 3 so I don't forget to post them.

60ft Dolls: Dr. Rat

Noisy old rock n roll. I like it.

Eddie Floyd: people, Get It Together

Released in 1969 this B-side could be a hymn to these times.

Hawkwind: High Rise

A track from 1979s "PXR5" album. Dystopian nightmares come real.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Been away a few days sorry, just catching up with Flex's now,
Flex wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 4:21pm
Dissidente - Labor Day. Not a fan of the vocals but the beat is fun and bouncy. Musically half decent, everything else, especially the "woah" chorus, not for me. 4/10.

Scowl - Bloodhound. A second listen made me appreciate the growling guitars more. Good angry tune but the vocals do nothing for me. Adequately short. 5/10.

Spindrift - MKULTRA. Now this has got a good groove, chaotic in a positive way, good use of samples and simply a cool track. Added to the playlist and my ace of the pack(et). 8/10

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Anyone fancy compiling a Spotify playlist for this?
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

60ft Dolls, “Dr. Rat.” Not. All. Doctors!

Eddie Floyd, “People, Get It Together.” SweetStaxSound. Urgent. Inspirational.

Hawkwind, “High Rise.” Cosmic. Pot. Lavalamps.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

Here's Marky's fine set:

60ft Dolls - Dr. Rat: This is real nice. One of those bands whose name rings a bell but I might be mixing up with other folks whose name rings a bell. Either way, this has a great little groove. Makes you wanna... well, maybe not dance exacly, but sort of move your body in a doofy but fun way. 7.5/10

Eddie Floyd - people, Get It Together: Ultra classic, perfect for the momet. Thanks for sharing. 'Nuff said. 10/10

Hawkwind - High Rise: Honestly, I'm not super familiar with Hawkwind post '77 and this was a treat. Feels like it could be a soundtrack to a Sylvester McCoy serial. And, I mean, this is a Ballard-inspired song so that makes perfect sense. Great stuff, I gotta check out more Hawkwind. Such a deep catalog. 8/10

Thanks, Marky! Awesome picks.

Pex Lives!

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

60 ft. Dolls - really solid guitar rock - and there's nothing wrong with that - good energy - I think you posted some of their stuff earlier so I've got The Big 3.

Eddie Floyd - cool and slick with a great message "You can be black or white, either way it's outta sight!" - really cool (hmm, I need another word for cool in the hip senses).

Hawkwind - kind of proggy so it's not my stuff.

Thanks, Marky, for a cool set.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
04 Mar 2022, 3:20pm
Eddie Floyd - cool and slick with a great message "You can be black or white, either way it's outta sight!" - really cool (hmm, I need another word for cool in the hip senses).
Add daddy-o after cool.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

I looked up 60ft Dolls history and was surprised that they barely troubled the charts. They seemed to be a name I would hear all the time but I couldn't remember a song or hum a chorus. Listening to them 25 years on and they still sound fresh (don't think I'd ever heard Dr Rat before) so maybe they didn't fit in with "the scene." Then again, Super Furry Animals never really fitted in but they at least had some success.

When I first started getting into music I would rifle through my Dads records and found a compilation called something like Stax Gold and I nearly wore out Soul Limbo (RIP Shane Warne) and the Theme From Shaft. There was at least one Eddie Floyd song but I don't remember what. I'm sure it wasn't People, Get it Together because you mentioned it was a b-side but it sounds like it would have fitted right in with the other 19 classics. I'm sure there's so much stuff I've never heard that I always mean to get around to but probably won't

When I was about 13 or 14 I met one of Hawkwind (or at least he said he was.) I was naturally impressed and tried to listen to them but it was too soon and I didn't get it. I've kind of liked everything I've heard since then but I'm kind of overwhelmed when I look at their discography about where to start. I might give PXR5 a whirl because it reminds me Steve Harley's Psychomodo (which I also liberated from my Dads collection)

60ft Dolls - like
Eddie Floyd - a
Hawkwind - lot

So hard to split these three so it's three words for all of them.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Sorry teach the dog ate me homework or my mom used it for the birdcage or something but here's the Flex assignment. Marky's to follow...

Minus Flex's forays into bad 90s music we're on a very similar wavelength musically speaking so

Dissidente, “Labor Day.” This is a new one for me but hits a lot of the right marks. Vocals are the weak point for me only because they are very samey to so many other bands and throw in a bit more ska for good measure. 7.5/10

Scowl, “Bloodhound.” Love some good ol hardcore. The one criticism Ive had of hardcore was always the macho shit that seems to be part of that scene and this neutralizes that (in this instance anyway) with some great female vocals. Love it more research will be required. 7.5/10

Spindrift, “MKULTRA. Cool stuff. I'll have to investigate more. I wasn't quite ready to downshift though after the previous 2 songs. I would definitely need to be in the right frame of mind for this. 7/10.

Nice picks pal.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Marky never disappoints with the tunes and this is no exception. I sometimes think I know a lot of different musical artists but then I compare myself to Marky and realize I know very little.

60ft Dolls: Dr. Rat - The name is familiar but the first time Im hearing them. Great noisy rock n roll just like you said. Need to explore more 7/10.

Eddie Floyd: People Get It Together - This is a great tune most artists couldn't do this well with an A side. This is the type of music Ive been discovering because I missed it the first time. Great song, great energy. 10/10

Hawkwind: High Rise - Im not super familiar with the Hawkwind catalog. Urban Guerilla is my favorite song of theirs, and very unlike this song. Like Flex's Spindrift song. I need to be in the right mindset for this and right now Im not. 6/10.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
01 Mar 2022, 12:49pm
All new to me. Thanks Marky.

60ft Dolls: Dr. Rat
Interesting confluence of influences that I can't exactly pinpoint. There is a lot of familiarity with this and that's not a bad thing. Well thought out arrangement with some interesting guitar work and backing vocals. Band sounds like they are having a blast too, which is obviously infectious. The chorus doesn't do a lot for me, but this is an enjoyable listen. 7/10.

Eddie Floyd: people, Get It Together
It's hard for even basic 70s Stax stuff not to sound great and this is no exception. I really like the driving rhythm of the bass with the drums in tow. Horns and backing vocals are obviously great as well. 8/10

Hawkwind: High Rise
I only know Hawkwind as the band Lemmy used to be in, so I'm overdue for a listen, but man, this one just isn't for me. I can't get behind the vocal delivery. It has a real 70s prog rock feel even if the arrangement is more basic.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Heston, I believe, is up this week.

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
09 Mar 2022, 6:05pm
Heston, I believe, is up this week.
He's carefully curating some deep Kiss kutz