A Packet of Threes (New, New Challenge Thread)

General music discussion.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: A Packet of Threes (New, New Challenge Thread)

Post by revbob »

Oh why not...

Svetlanas - Go Fuck Yourself. In yo face Russian punk rock curtently based in Italy. Lots of great energy and singer Olga Svetlanas is an amazing front woman would love to see them live

Cinemartyr - I Want a Gun. A recent discovery for me. Not sure how to best describe them, Fugazi is the best comparison I can come up with.

Punho de Mahin - Punho de Mahin
Punk rock from Brazil. I saw a writeup on them on the Afropunk website. No the lyrics aren't in English but who cares you should be singing along anyway.
Last edited by revbob on 13 Sep 2022, 8:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Sorry for the delay!

Sventanas - metal/punk to my ears; the thrash hardcore rhythm is too fast and almost out of control; the singer's pretty good, though.

Cinemartyr - really good energy; usually I don't care for rhythmic changes but they pull it off; your Fugazi comparison is apt.

Punho de Mahin - at first, the drummer looked really bored or really focused; good vocals; a bit thrashy for me; the coda is interesting.

All 3 new to me - great! Cinemartyr was the best for me. They'd be an interesting show.

Thanks for posting. I'll add some bands later this week.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

gkbill wrote:
13 Sep 2022, 10:54am
Hello,

Sorry for the delay!

Thanks for posting. I'll add some bands later this week.
Im looking forward to it.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Svetlanas - I want to like this more than I do because the singer is so compelling but musically it doesn't do a whole lot to elevate itself. Still, it's all about finding your level and my bar here is really high so while it's better than most new things I hear, I demand more.

Cinemartyr - I find the non-stop riffs a little exhausting :) A little bit more 'heavy metal' than I usually go for too but I really liked the vocal. I can almost imagine it over a totally different genre. Interesting stuff.

Punho de Mahin - Like Cinemartyr, this is a bit heavier than what I usually like so for me the ending was the best part - which sounds like feint praise but I mean the part when it slows down. I'd have loved it if it was like that all the way through.

I'm impressed that you guys keep finding all this new and interesting stuff.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Perhaps the Threes refers to participants rather than songs.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

gkbill wrote:
14 Sep 2022, 10:38pm
Hello,

Perhaps the Threes refers to participants rather than songs.
So it seems.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

False Heads - kind of metal but not heavy.

El Camino Acid - vocals kind of like Peter Zaremba (The Fleshtones) and really good guitar/garage rock.

Public Opinion - the vocalist gets kind of screamy but the music is really good - and they're in a garage, get it?

Hopefully new to you all - more rock-ish than pop-ish.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

False Heads
Im not feeling this one, needs more banjos maybe.

El Camino Acid
Good garagey guitar rock. Although I am getting a bit of a Springsteen vibe.

Public Opinion
My favorite of the bunch, actually reminds me a bit of a local band Rough Francis, certainly on the vocal side.

3 new ones and 2 outta 3 aint bad, thanks gkbill!

And to the rest of you, come on in the water's great, it is filtered and refreshed regularly so even if Doc pisses in it, it wont stay that way for long.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

These type of distorted, but not quite metal, guitar songs are just the sort of thing I gravitate to and I enjoyed all three.

I'm probably going with False Heads > Public Opinion > El Camino Acid but it could easily flip next week because they're all strong. I think what swayed me was hearing the FH singers gruff accent.
I hear where you're coming from with the 'shouty' Public Opinion singer but if anything I wanted him to be more shouty and aggressive. There are fewer things I like more than a rant in a song.
I would imagine El Camino Acid are the most popular but the song doesn't excite me as much as the other two (for now)

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Adulkt Life - Taking Hits: pretty solid kind of avant-guarde - ish guitar rock - the middle get a bit chaotic but overall pretty good.

The Jacklights - Beach: kind of a harder Go-Go's.

The Garden - Freight Yard: don't get put off by the visuals; pretty muscular rock when they get down to it.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Adulkt Life - Taking Hits: Yeah this is pretty cool, it works for me. Its no Adele but yeah I like it.

The Jacklights - Beach: For those who might say I dont dig the loppy stuff you're wrong. I like this. Poppy but in a cool way. Its no Adele but hey.

The Garden - Freight Yard: Yeah that visual does it no favors but musically its pretty solid. Again no Adele either but still good in its own way.

All new stuff for me, thanks gkbill.

It really sucks more of our community isn't getting involved with this thread. Hopefully they are at least checking this stuff out at least. I've been making an effort to listen to more unfamiliar/new artists its one of the more enriching aspects of my life.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

revbob wrote:
06 Oct 2022, 7:28pm
Adulkt Life - Taking Hits: Yeah this is pretty cool, it works for me. Its no Adele but yeah I like it.

The Jacklights - Beach: For those who might say I dont dig the loppy stuff you're wrong. I like this. Poppy but in a cool way. Its no Adele but hey.

The Garden - Freight Yard: Yeah that visual does it no favors but musically its pretty solid. Again no Adele either but still good in its own way.

All new stuff for me, thanks gkbill.

It really sucks more of our community isn't getting involved with this thread. Hopefully they are at least checking this stuff out at least. I've been making an effort to listen to more unfamiliar/new artists its one of the more enriching aspects of my life.
Hello,

I'm always thinking of Mick say "There's just got to be new music..." (or something close to that).

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Adulkt Life - I love the way it sounds like it's going to fall apart at times and then brings it right back. I find the countdown part a little unsettling like it should be part of a horror film. Really strong start to the 3.

The Jacklights - A bit more poppy than I'd usually go for - the sort of thing I'd be happy to hear on the radio or wouldn't skip on a playlist but not what I'd pay real money for.

The Garden - I love the visuals here... but then again, I unironically love some early ICP stuff too. The sound is totally different to what I was expecting and I love it. If you haven't guessed, the multiple uses of 'love' mean this is my favourite but Adulkt Life is not that far off

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I got a pack brewing...

You do? You should post it the people here are hungry for more.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

revbob wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 10:56pm
I got a pack brewing...
You do? You should post it the people here are hungry for more