A Packet of Threes (New, New Challenge Thread)

General music discussion.
gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Re: A Packet of Threes (New, New Challenge Thread)

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Sorry - a bit late.

Mallwalker - good guitar, good groove, vocals are okay and a bit buried.

Bisexual Tyrant - really good start, the screaming vocals strike me as silly, musically really solid.

The Meffs - best of the bunch, really good chorus both musically and vocally.

Thanks - all new all good, the Meffs are solid. I'll investigate further.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

gkbill wrote:
06 Feb 2023, 4:30pm
Hello,

The Mysterines - Life's a bitch (but I like it so much): really good rock and roll

Dope Times - Wasted ways: pretty fun poppy 3rd wave ska - Rancid-like (see the video) but better vocals in my opinion - derivative for sure but fun

Starcrawler - She said: Again, really good rock and roll - is that a problem?

All 7/10s for me. Solid rock stuff with nothing too mindblowing, but that's alright. Might give Starcrawler the edge with the choppier rhythms adding some fun finesse.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

National Wake - International News
South African punk band from back in the day. I only just heard of them recently, love the sound, need to explore more.

Be Your Own Pet - Hand Grenade
Recent discovery for me. Love this song great energy, great chorus.

Puzzled Panther - Fake Ass Freedom Fighters. New band from NYC, not much out there from them yet, thryve been doing a lot of live shows in NYC and apparently have an album forthcoming. They are touring with Gogol Bordello this summer so planning to catch them when thry come to town.
Last edited by revbob on 12 Apr 2023, 12:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

National Wake - Really good mix of stuff (rock, reggae, township). Adventurous and catchy. I'll check with my wife if she's heard of them/how big were they? I've sampled a few other tracks - all good. It helps they're from a really special era.

Be Your Own Pet - THESE GUYS ARE REALLY GOOD (all capital letter mean I'm yelling, right?). Bush Tetra-ish but faster pace/more energy/more fock than funk. I've already checked out Adventure on youtube and will seek more.

Puzzled Panther - I'm not much for hardcore although these guys are good at it. I could listen to more - which I can't say about many hardcore bands.

Be Your Own Pet are really good by the way (forgive the redundancy)! They're the best band you've posted here thus far to my taste.

All new, all good. Thanks!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

gkbill wrote:
12 Apr 2023, 11:42am
Hello,

National Wake - Really good mix of stuff (rock, reggae, township). Adventurous and catchy. I'll check with my wife if she's heard of them/how big were they? I've sampled a few other tracks - all good. It helps they're from a really special era.

Be Your Own Pet - THESE GUYS ARE REALLY GOOD (all capital letter mean I'm yelling, right?). Bush Tetra-ish but faster pace/more energy/more fock than funk. I've already checked out Adventure on youtube and will seek more.

Puzzled Panther - I'm not much for hardcore although these guys are good at it. I could listen to more - which I can't say about many hardcore bands.

Be Your Own Pet are really good by the way (forgive the redundancy)! They're the best band you've posted here thus far to my taste.

All new, all good. Thanks!
I would think National Wake shouldn't be the only band from that era but who knows.

Puzzled Panther I would classify more as punk. Sure they do run in the hardcore circle in NYC (this seems to be commonplace for punk and HC bands in that area) but the music and especially the vocals are anything but the harsh style that is a hallmark of the HC genre.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

gkbill wrote:
12 Apr 2023, 11:42am
Hello,

Ive heard of these guys, they were a white group but still fightng for the right cause
https://www.maximumrocknroll.com/band/riot-squad-s-a/

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

The Country Westerns - I'm Not Ready: pretty good rock and roll - maybe a bit Southern Rock and Roll but not much country.

The Clockworks - Feels So Real: Upbeat guitar roc; pretty good vocals.

The White Cats - Second Time Around: kind of early punk sound; this is a bit old (~6 years?) but worth your time.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Packet of 1 and I still gotta do your 3 above gkbill

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

gkbill wrote:
02 Jan 2023, 2:22pm
Hello,

Happy new year - happy new music!

Thick - Loser. Very fun rock and roll - straightforward guitar.

This band is coming to town in June. Hoping to make it

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

gkbill wrote:
09 May 2023, 7:16pm
Hello,

The Country Westerns - I'm Not Ready: pretty good rock and roll - maybe a bit Southern Rock and Roll but not much country.

The White Cats - Second Time Around: kind of early punk sound; this is a bit old (~6 years?) but worth your time.

The White Cats "this is a bit old" :mrgreen:

1978 when the Damned first split up. Rat Scabies formed this group with Kelvin Blacklock who was also in pre punk bands with Mick Jones The Delinquents, Little Queenie and London SS. Mick and Kelvin had been at school together. Second Time Around was later recorded as Machine Gun Etiquette by The Damned on the album of the same name. To fund Sid Vicious going off to the states a one off gig was played by the Vicious White kids. Sid, Rat Scabies (The White Cats), Glen Matlock, Stev New (Rich Kids).

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 May 2023, 4:08am
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

1978 when the Damned first split up. Rat Scabies formed this group with Kelvin Blacklock who was also in pre punk bands with Mick Jones The Delinquents, Little Queenie and London SS. Mick and Kelvin had been at school together. Second Time Around was later recorded as Machine Gun Etiquette by The Damned on the album of the same name. To fund Sid Vicious going off to the states a one off gig was played by the Vicious White kids. Sid, Rat Scabies (The White Cats), Glen Matlock, Stev New (Rich Kids).
Hello,

I had no idea of this history. My guess was based on the submission to youtube (I think). It's a bit old like I'm a bit old.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

gkbill wrote:
27 May 2023, 11:45am
Marky Dread wrote:
27 May 2023, 4:08am
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

Hello,

I had no idea of this history. My guess was based on the submission to youtube (I think). It's a bit old like I'm a bit old.
The submission to YouTube has no bearing on when something was made though. I've always wanted to tell a teacher to do their homework. 🤣

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

The kids in the Ramones course told me this would be an easy class! I didn't know the teacher was so hard - he sure knows his stuff, though!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

gkbill wrote:
27 May 2023, 12:37pm
Hello,

The kids in the Ramones course told me this would be an easy class! I didn't know the teacher was so hard - he sure knows his stuff, though!
I don't care about history...

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

gkbill wrote:
Hello,
The Country Westerns - I'm Not Ready:
Really good back to basics kind of rock music. What's not to like.

The Clockworks - Feels So Real:
Love the intro, pulls you right in. The vocals stand out in this one, sort of between speaking and singing. I dig it, need to explore further.

The White Cats - Second Time Around:
Yeah great song, thanks for the history lesson on this one Marky.

3 solod choice gkbill, sorry it has taken me so fucking long. I for one blame Doc.