A Packet of Threes (New, New Challenge Thread)

General music discussion.
gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Re: A Packet of Threes (New, New Challenge Thread)

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

FIDLAR: okay for what it is - good energy but nothing beyond simple fun - good for what it is but I wouldn't go out of my way to listen - stage-diving is annoying - I came to see the band, not you - if you stage-dive near me, I'm just going to get out of the way, I have no desire to catch you - but I digress...

Mount Kimbie: these guys seem a bit confused - are they trying to be the Streets? Sleaford Mods? They need to find a direction or identity - oliver's post about both grimy and synthy works for me as well.

Oliver Peck: okay, this guy has direction - entertaining - I think the track is just okay but I'd like to hear him do a different song - he's probably pretty fun live.

Thanks! I was going to do more with FIDLAR and likely still will - I'll probably look for more Oliver Peck - thanks for posting these!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

gkbill wrote:
16 Apr 2022, 9:34pm
Hello,

FIDLAR: okay for what it is - good energy but nothing beyond simple fun - good for what it is but I wouldn't go out of my way to listen - stage-diving is annoying - I came to see the band, not you - if you stage-dive near me, I'm just going to get out of the way, I have no desire to catch you - but I digress...

Mount Kimbie: these guys seem a bit confused - are they trying to be the Streets? Sleaford Mods? They need to find a direction or identity - oliver's post about both grimy and synthy works for me as well.

Oliver Peck: okay, this guy has direction - entertaining - I think the track is just okay but I'd like to hear him do a different song - he's probably pretty fun live.

Thanks! I was going to do more with FIDLAR and likely still will - I'll probably look for more Oliver Peck - thanks for posting these!
I could have sworn you'd already reviewed these.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

FIDLAR - West Coast
These guys are having some dumb old fun. But boy are they trying so hard. Don't care for the chorus but the rest is typical almost generic pop punk. Could be Green Day could be Avril Lavigne. Not really for me.

Mount Kimbie - Blue Train Lines ft. King Krule
This track is kinda cool. I like the build up and overall feel just don't like the vocal.

Orville Peck - Daytona Sand
I enjoyed this for what it is. Tried and tested rockabilly vibe and the oh so pretentious Elvis vocal. Video was unnecessary but the track was good.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

revbob wrote:
16 Apr 2022, 10:55pm
gkbill wrote:
16 Apr 2022, 9:34pm
Hello,

I could have sworn you'd already reviewed these.
Hello,

I had to check myself!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

FIDLAR - West Coast: I know it's a very fine line, but this isn't the exact kind of melodic punk that gets my motor running. Good production, but that's pretty standard for this kind of stuff.

Mount Kimbie - Blue Train Lines ft. King Krule: I like the mood, but I'm not sure about the vocalist. This reminds me that sprechstimme is really having a moment right now, which gives me hope for my own music since I'm not a singer. But it almost seems harder, because in the absence of melody, you REALLY have to have an appealing personality to your voice. The synths and stuff are cool though. I'll check out more.

Orville Peck - Daytona Sand: I've been aware of this guy for a few years now and can't get into it, it would be a lot better if he'd sing seriously instead of as a caricature.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory wrote:
18 Apr 2022, 1:28pm
FIDLAR - West Coast: I know it's a very fine line, but this isn't the exact kind of melodic punk that gets my motor running. Good production, but that's pretty standard for this kind of stuff.

Mount Kimbie - Blue Train Lines ft. King Krule: I like the mood, but I'm not sure about the vocalist. This reminds me that sprechstimme is really having a moment right now, which gives me hope for my own music since I'm not a singer. But it almost seems harder, because in the absence of melody, you REALLY have to have an appealing personality to your voice. The synths and stuff are cool though. I'll check out more.

Orville Peck - Daytona Sand: I've been aware of this guy for a few years now and can't get into it, it would be a lot better if he'd sing seriously instead of as a caricature.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

matey's packet. Shall the power of 90s unite us?

FIDLAR - West Coast: I'm pretty sure I know this song. Maybe you're the one who introduced it to me. It's decent. Kind of thing I enjoy when I'm hearing it but probably am not going to seek out for the rotation. Good tune to toss on a party mix. Could tighten it up by close a minute imho and have a real nice little 2:30 pop punker. 6.5/10

Also, I just looked up their wiki and interesting that two of 'em are the kids of TSOL's Greg Kuehn.

Mount Kimbie - Blue Train Lines ft. King Krule: I enjoyed this but wish I enjoyed it just a little more. I'd probably have given it another point if it ramped up the dissonance more. Really make my ears bleed, please. 6/10

Orville Peck - Daytona Sand: I'm familiar with this guy, although more the imagery than the music. Obviously the visual aesthetic is a big part of the point here so i think part of the ranking needs to be in that context. I come down on the decidedly pro-Peck position. I think his blend of camp, western aesthetic and country and rockabilly sound is both fun and occasionally transgressive as he's infiltrating some scenes that are traditionally - or have become - very staid and conservative. I fully support what he's going for here. 7/10

Nice ones, matey
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory, you're up!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
18 Apr 2022, 6:47pm
Shall the power of 90s unite us?
I actually do have a "Lost 90s" theme packet that I was going to post. Maybe next time.
Flex wrote:
18 Apr 2022, 6:47pm

Orville Peck - Daytona Sand: I'm familiar with this guy, although more the imagery than the music. Obviously the visual aesthetic is a big part of the point here so i think part of the ranking needs to be in that context. I come down on the decidedly pro-Peck position. I think his blend of camp, western aesthetic and country and rockabilly sound is both fun and occasionally transgressive as he's infiltrating some scenes that are traditionally - or have become - very staid and conservative. I fully support what he's going for here. 7/10
I'm obviously still wavering on him, leaning towards approval. I thought it would be fun to post to see where the rest of the board came down.

I think this reminds me a bit of the difference between Steel Panther and The Darkness. I have no time for Steel Panther and I (used to, especially the first album) love The Darkness. Where as Steel Panther revels in the ridiculousness of 80s glam metal, The Darkness acknowledges that while having an actual respect and appreciation for metal, glam rock, etc. Based on some interviews, it seems Peck does have a deep respect for the genres he's performing while reveling in the kitschy and ridiculous aspects, not to mention the transgressive aspect you mentioned.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:
20 Apr 2022, 10:52am
I think this reminds me a bit of the difference between Steel Panther and The Darkness. I have no time for Steel Panther and I (used to, especially the first album) love The Darkness. Where as Steel Panther revels in the ridiculousness of 80s glam metal, The Darkness acknowledges that while having an actual respect and appreciation for metal, glam rock, etc. Based on some interviews, it seems Peck does have a deep respect for the genres he's performing while reveling in the kitschy and ridiculous aspects, not to mention the transgressive aspect you mentioned.
Yeah, I've come to understand his appreciation as genuine. There's a huge tension in country & western music, particularly in the veneration of the old west and cowboy culture, which was a very gay subculture in the 1800s and early 1900s and the genre's understanding of masculinity and heteronormativity. Peck is, to my reading, very explicitly connecting the reality of the gay roots of country & western with the contemporary music scene.

It's been a long while since I read it, but my recollection is Nick Tosches' Country: The Twisted Roots of Rock & Roll goes into this some more (homosexuality in country, not cowboy culture particularly). Maybe it's time to give that another read.

Pex Lives!

matedog

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
20 Apr 2022, 11:54am
matedog wrote:
20 Apr 2022, 10:52am
Yeah, I've come to understand his appreciation as genuine. There's a huge tension in country & western music, particularly in the veneration of the old west and cowboy culture, which was a very gay subculture in the 1800s and early 1900s and the genre's understanding of masculinity and heteronormativity. Peck is, to my reading, very explicitly connecting the reality of the gay roots of country & western with the contemporary music scene.

It's been a long while since I read it, but my recollection is Nick Tosches' Country: The Twisted Roots of Rock & Roll goes into this some more (homosexuality in country, not cowboy culture particularly). Maybe it's time to give that another read.
Ummm, that's not what Sacramento native Sam Elliot said.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:
20 Apr 2022, 11:58am
Sam could use a loving, consensual deep dicking imho

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

revbob wrote:
20 Apr 2022, 9:46am
Kory, you're up!
I’m out of range of a computer for the day, but I’ll put them up tomorrowwwwwwwww

matedog

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
20 Apr 2022, 11:59am
matedog wrote:
20 Apr 2022, 11:58am
Sam could use a loving, consensual deep dicking imho
I'd be less into that than the Earth-JD-Paul Newman hook up, but I'd give it a shot.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Craig Wedren & Anna Waronker—No Return
I've been quite literally obsessed with this theme song for Yellowjackets by former members of Shudder to Think and That Dog. Reminds me of a Wire song in its construction and brevity, and I also love how it sounds like it's about to fall off the rails any second thanks to some weird time sig stuff. They've since done an extended version for the soundtrack which is disappointing because they originally said they didn't want to, and it doesn't need it.

Ibibio Sound Machine—All That You Want
Not sure how I didn't know about these guys before, but I got clued in a couple weeks ago and can't put them down. Afrofuturism/West African funk/electro.

Just Mustard—Deaf
I've only just hooked into these guys, but they seem pretty cool. It's hard to find gaze that isn't just a xerox, but this band seems interesting on first, second, and third listen.