A Packet of Threes (New, New Challenge Thread)

General music discussion.
gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Re: A Packet of Threes (New, New Challenge Thread)

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Ithaca - I like Ithaca, NY but this is more metal than punk for me. Screaming isn't singing - I don't care for crooning by and large, either, but screaming isn't attractive for me. The last minute of the track is a better experience but overall, I'll skip them.

Special Interest - This is a fun track - not necessarily memorable but they've got a good direction and good energy.

Ximena Sariñana - This is a pretty good pop song. I'd like more - good bounce, good energy, good execution while not being generic.

3 new bands - thanks! I'm better for hearing them all!

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Hmmm, good thing I shared some of Ithaca's more melodic later work rather than their REALLY aggressive early stuff. :mrgreen:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

My "problem" with shouty vocals like Ithica, if it is indeed a problem, is that I like it now and again but would find it a little hard to get through more than a couple of songs. Maybe an albums worth is something you get into after a few listens but my attention span is pretty much gone these days. So I'll take the odd song, like it, and move on to something a little more gentle for my delicate ears.

The bass is by far my favourite part of Special Interest - I could listen to it all day. The rest is pretty enjoyable but aside from the bass the only parts I remember after a couple of listens are the 'Lets All Chant' style 'ooh oohs' which give me horrible flashbacks of Mick and Pat *

It's interesting how a video can influence your judgment. I originally listened while on another tab and didn't really get any summer vibes but after listening again while watching I get it. Kind of hard to pigeon-hole this one. Good stuff and a little bit different from a bog-standard pop song - definitely a level above.

* Worth watching for Pat's world-class mullet and Mick's awkwardness - but I doubt anyone can get through more than 30 seconds

I'd like to think Pat still rocks the same hair.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Ithaca, “Camera Eats First.” Moremetalthanpunk. But. Kickasserygoodness.

Special Interest, “(Herman's) House.” Morefunkythanpunky. But. Wonderfullyspunky.

Ximena Sariñana, “Different.” Morepoppythanpop. But. Nothingwrongwithasugarrush.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I will do this tomorrow, I just spent the last several days moving my daughter into a new apt in Queens.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Yeah tomorrow was 4 days later oh well.

Ithaca - Camera Eats First :
Id tend to classify it as more of a sub-metal genre vs hardcore. Does that matter? No it doesnt I like it, Im not crazy about the quiet interlude and the singing that follows. I say stop the song around 3:25.

Special Interest - (Herman's) House : I think this is more of a grower than a shower. I tried it earlier in the day a few times and it wasn't clicking. After an exhausting day I was in a better headspace for it. I'll need to listen to more from them. Thanks.

Ximena Sariñana - Different : Not a bad song, but not really my bag, better than your average contemporary music :shifty:

Good choices, all new stuff for me.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

Well, nobody asked me for 3 songs so here they are what the hell ....

The Barracudas - 1965 Again - definitely has a bit of that 1965 vibe

Catfight - Smash Your Face In - girl groups can be so much fun.

The Pooh Sticks at their best (in my opinion), a catchy song with a fun riff.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

The Barracudas: really good retro-garage rock kind of stuff - it's not memorable but there's potential (for a band that long since dis-banded) - lots of fun!

Catfight: this is really fun stuff - great rock and roll - maybe put the bass a little higher in the mix but it's great fun - lead and backing vocals fit very well - just enough solo guitar - "everything you touch goes wrong, this has gone on way too long".

The Pooh Sticks - these guys were supposed to be an inside joke but I don't get it and I don't care - their songs are pretty good guitar pop as illustrated by this track - good guitar pop/rock.

Three really good tracks - all tracks I hadn't heard before (and 2/3 bands I hadn't heard before) - great stuff. Thanks!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

The Barracudas - 1965 Again : Great energy and a fun song with goofy lyrics

Catfight - Smash Your Face In
: I love this song. Reminds me a bit of the Donnas, definitely a keeper and worthy of further research.

The Pooh Sticks - Susan Sleepwalking: I hate the male vocals, this one's not for me.

Thatnks for posting we gotta keep this thread alive weller259. 2/3 winners for me.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

The Barracudas - I'm generally a big fan of repetition - I think it's what drew me to old school rap with the looped beats - but I can't deny I found this a bit too repetitive. It was alright though, just not something I'd spend real money on. This is the one I'm most likely to make up my own lyrics too in order to get my hatreds out.

Catfight - Some interesting chord changes but I wish the vocal was a bit more... angry, perhaps? The more I listen, the more I like it though. This is the one I'm most likely to be absent-mindedly humming tomorrow.

I remember dismissing Pooh Sticks at the time because I found their song titles a bit 'ooh, look how wacky we are' but now I'm reminded of them it makes me actually want to seek them out. For this song, the opening 'oooh' definitely makes me want to listen and then it has a second vocalist too? Right up my alley. Needs the female voice to come in earlier though. I enjoyed this one a lot -it's the one I'm going to hit first tomorrow.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Someone is slacking. Flex was the last one on the list to post, and Weller breathed some life into it come on fuckers pick up the pace. And Matey was recent too.

gkbill
Tom
Flex
Marky Dread
Heston
Silent Majority
revbob
WestwayKid
matedog
Kory
oliver
Olaf
Medulla
Kimmelweck - MIA for real, hope he's ok.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

revbob wrote:
18 Aug 2022, 6:11pm
Someone is slacking. Flex was the last one on the list to post, and Weller breathed some life into it come on fuckers pick up the pace. And Matey was recent too.

gkbill
Tom
Flex
Marky Dread
Heston
Silent Majority
revbob
WestwayKid
matedog
Kory
oliver
Olaf
Medulla
You can add me to the list, I can post more if wanted, but I have no problem waiting my turn.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

weller259 wrote:
18 Aug 2022, 8:54pm
revbob wrote:

gkbill
Tom
Flex
Marky Dread
Heston
Silent Majority
revbob
WestwayKid
matedog
Kory
oliver
Olaf
Medulla
You can add me to the list, I can post more if wanted, but I have no problem waiting my turn.
Well many people who initially signed up for this have abandoned it. Perhaps the summer months have been busy ones for a lot of people.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

revbob wrote:
18 Aug 2022, 9:37pm
weller259 wrote:
revbob wrote:

gkbill
Tom
Flex
Marky Dread
Heston
Silent Majority
revbob
WestwayKid
matedog
Kory
oliver
Olaf
Medulla
Well many people who initially signed up for this have abandoned it. Perhaps the summer months have been busy ones for a lot of people.
Hello,

I've got a bunch of new groups. I'll wait but I can go whenever. To those who still post and respond, thanks! New music is vital. The New Music Sucks thread need to have people visit this thread.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

gkbill wrote:
18 Aug 2022, 10:24pm
revbob wrote:
18 Aug 2022, 9:37pm
weller259 wrote:
revbob wrote:

gkbill
Tom
Flex
Marky Dread
Heston
Silent Majority
revbob
WestwayKid
matedog
Kory
oliver
Olaf
Medulla
Hello,

I've got a bunch of new groups. I'll wait but I can go whenever. To those who still post and respond, thanks! New music is vital. The New Music Sucks thread need to have people visit this thread.
Yeah I don't care if it came out yesterday or 50 years ago, it can stil be new to these ears.