A Packet of Threes (New, New Challenge Thread)

General music discussion.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: A Packet of Threes (New, New Challenge Thread)

Post by revbob »

gkbill wrote:
16 Feb 2023, 3:59pm
Hello,...
1000mods - Electric Carve: that intro is hard to beat and I dont mind some good shouty vocals sothis works for me. I dont hear the mod sound though. Good find

CIVIC - As Seen On TV: Another great intro,fun tune. The vocals are very clear yet sometimes I still didnt know what he was saying but its a great song. Like summertime cruising down the highway windows open song blasting.

The Men - Hard Livin': excellent dirty rock n roll, the best kind, fuck the shine and polish this i how it should be done.

This is a great pack of 3 gkbill. All previously unknown for me. Id say your finest selections yet. I hope people are still tuning into this thread because there's some great fucking music. All high energy, in your face, take no prisoners. SRPs beware!!!

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

revbob wrote:
11 Mar 2023, 9:09am
gkbill wrote:
Hello,...
1000mods - Electric Carve: that intro is hard to beat and I dont mind some good shouty vocals sothis works for me. I dont hear the mod sound though. Good find

CIVIC - As Seen On TV: Another great intro,fun tune. The vocals are very clear yet sometimes I still didnt know what he was saying but its a great song. Like summertime cruising down the highway windows open song blasting.

The Men - Hard Livin': excellent dirty rock n roll, the best kind, fuck the shine and polish this i how it should be done.

This is a great pack of 3 gkbill. All previously unknown for me. Id say your finest selections yet. I hope people are still tuning into this thread because there's some great fucking music. All high energy, in your face, take no prisoners. SRPs beware!!!
Hello,

Agreed and thanks. I still like These New South Wales quite a lot. I picked up Open Your Heart by The Men - really good.

I'm curious if we get people just viewing stuff without comment. I think new music is important and vital. It helps me stay young - well, less old.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

gkbill wrote:
11 Mar 2023, 3:11pm
revbob wrote:
11 Mar 2023, 9:09am
gkbill wrote:
Hello,...

Hello,

Agreed and thanks. I still like These New South Wales quite a lot. I picked up Open Your Heart by The Men - really good.

I'm curious if we get people just viewing stuff without comment. I think new music is important and vital. It helps me stay young - well, less old.
I hope so...I cant say what it does for me from an age related perspective but mentally it helps me a great deal. Like Ive said on the board before if I had to choose between blindness and deafness Id choose blindness. Yes it would suck and it would be limiting and I prefer to have all my senses I couldn't give up music.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Bumsy and the Moochers - Rewind 99; very Interrupters-like but with horns...and that's not a bad thing!

Screaming Females - Morning Dove; good straightforward rock.

Marcel - Playroom; noise rock - pretty fun (Fall-like?).

Enjoy!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

gkbill wrote:
14 Mar 2023, 11:22am
Hello,

Bumsy and the Moochers - Rewind 99
Female fronted ska bands are rarely a bad thing and this is no exception.

Screaming Females - Morning Dove
Not bad wouldn't turn it off but probably wouldn't seek them out. Would probably sound good live.

Marcel - Playroom
I like noisy sharp jagged edges.

Three excellent new choices. Thanks again. I gotta start going thru some of the pics I have.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

revbob wrote:
21 Jan 2023, 8:26pm
The Barbiturates- Super Callous Fascist Racist Tories are Atrocious - Kinda got a 60s vibe with the heavily reverbed lead vocal and that guitar tone. The call/response vocals are interesting. The song title/lyric is kinda hokey. I get what they are going for and the arrangement is sharp, but it's all a bit too cute for me to really get into. 5/10.

Sunny War - No Reason - Best song i've heard in quite awhile. In the last ten years or so, I've grown to really appreciate female vocalist folky Americana - Sera Cahoone, Brandi Carlisle, Julien Baker, basically all of boygenius, so this is very much up my alley. As are clever backing vocals. So this shit is very much my thing. I've been spending time with her album as well. 9/10.

KNEECAP - H.O.O.D.
Cool ass simple beat and dark synth work. I like how the beat drops out and comes back in. I like the shouty vocals and like you said, it's an oddly catchy refrain. Good stuff, I'll keep tabs on these guys. 7/10.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Im trying to decide if now is rhe time to drop my long awaited Noise Terror packet or jist stick with an eclectic mix of accessible punky stuff like Ive done in the past.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

revbob wrote:
16 Mar 2023, 10:06pm
Im trying to decide if now is rhe time to drop my long awaited Noise Terror packet or jist stick with an eclectic mix of accessible punky stuff like Ive done in the past.
Hello,

I had (perhaps) similar thoughts as much of the stuff I've posted has been energetic guitar rock. I may start posting some different type/genre stuff.

Do whatever you feel like doing. I'll check anything new out. At this point, we can't be concerned with others viewing/responding.

"There's just got to be...new music" (or something like this) - Mick Jones

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Agreed!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Podium, a punk band from Spain. They've been on my list of bands to share, they just announced their breakup which is too bad. You may not understand the lyrics but the energy is undeniable.

John Waters is doing the intro, band starts around 1:40 or so. I remember seeing pics from this show the singer got off the stage and was performing with the crowd.

New discovery from Flexland.
Motherfucker Teresa - Blue Lives Murder

Tits Dick and Ass - GF from Hell

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Podium - This is really good stuff. Somewhere (here? not sure) I saw this video and didn't investigate further; however, on listening to the album, I have a much better appreciation for this band. I'll dig out more stuff from them for sure.

Motherfucker Teresa - meh, kind of stereotypical hardcore. As I've mentioned elsewhere, I'm not much for screaming vocals - at least make an attempt.

Tits, Dick, and Ass - kind of clever, sloppy rock. They seem kind seem like New York Dolls taken to the nth level. They could do with a bit more musicality but overall, pretty fun. I'll check out more.

Thanks. The second and third acts are new - great! I've learned somethings. I really like the Podium stuff - I'll pursue more!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Mallwalker - Hunt You Down

I just came across this band. Pretty raw, great energy, unfortunately the singer Sarah Danger passed recently.

Bi Tyrant - Craigslist Roommate

Noisy angry punk, not for everyone.

The Meffs - Wasted on Women

I thought someone on this board had shared this band before but I cant find it.
Female fronted English punk band. Catchy chorus.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Morgan and the Organ Donors - Freeze the Time: This is about as country as I'll get; good guitar run in the middle.

Purling Hiss - Follow You Around: Kind of psychedelic, this song has probably the clearest vocals in any of their tracks I've heard. If I am casting a movie and need someone for a convenience store worker, I'm calling these guys.

Red Soul Community - One Heart: Bouncy ska from Spain - Interrupters fans will like this.

I'll get to your selections soon, revbob. I'm running some stats and finding new sources of challenge.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

gkbill wrote:
31 Mar 2023, 3:40pm
Hello,
Morgan and the Organ Donors - Freeze the Time:

Not bad, I prefer my country music to be dirty and smelling of booze. Could use some banjos too.

Purling Hiss - Follow You Around:
Not floating my boat.

Red Soul Community - One Heart:
I like this, the Interrupters comparison is a good one. Hell if you squin just a bit she looks like Aimee.