A Packet of Threes (New, New Challenge Thread)

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: A Packet of Threes (New, New Challenge Thread)

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Now, everyone keep in mind how I've half-assed my comments for your stuff …

Wolfgang Press, “Shut that Door”

A classic 4AD band, playing abrasive, scratchy post-punk funk. That bass, that fucking bass …

Viet Cong, “Continental Shelf”

From Calgary, I believe. They started out as Viet Cong but chickened the fuck out after complaints and changed their name to the entirely bland Preoccupations, so fuck them for that. Anyway, this is clearly inspired by early 80s post-punk. I like the alternating rhythm between growing noise and anxiety followed by a relative relaxing quiet.

Slothrust, "Like A Child Hiding Behind Your Tombstone”

And one of many session versions if you want a single-take approach:

If you watched You’re the Worst—and shame on you if you didn’t—Slothrust's “7.30 AM” is excerpted as the show’s theme. This one was used at the end of the third season finale (they also cameo in a final season episode). Distinctly strange, unpoetic lyrics that somehow still work, and music that goes all over the place in tempo and style. By the last minute, you can all but see a chorus line kicking behind them. And Leah Wellbaum is upper echelon cool as fuck.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolfgang Press, “Shut that Door”

Gang of Four/plays Talking Heads/seriously fucking great!

Viet Cong, “Continental Shelf”

Abrasive noise wonder.

Great song title/Really great track.

Good work Doc.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

oliver wrote:
27 Apr 2022, 9:11am
Ugress - Zombie Eagles - Looks like this came out in 08, but has a real late 90s vibe to it. Some interesting twists and turns even if the genre isn't exactly my thing. 6.5/10

Sampa the Great - Final Form - the sample/backing track is stellar. Very 70s soul based, I'm assuming the PE similarity is this. The rap/flow isn't particularly interesting, so that brings it down a bit. 6.5/10.

Big Joanie - Fall Asleep - Cool backing track, love me a good clap track. The vocalist seems completely disinterested though and it brings it down for me. I really like instrumental and the vocal arrangement, but the vocal track really prevents me from getting behind this. 5/10.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

matedog wrote:
06 May 2022, 1:37pm
oliver wrote:
Ugress - Zombie Eagles - Looks like this came out in 08, but has a real late 90s vibe to it. Some interesting twists and turns even if the genre isn't exactly my thing. 6.5/10

Sampa the Great - Final Form - the sample/backing track is stellar. Very 70s soul based, I'm assuming the PE similarity is this. The rap/flow isn't particularly interesting, so that brings it down a bit. 6.5/10.

Big Joanie - Fall Asleep - Cool backing track, love me a good clap track. The vocalist seems completely disinterested though and it brings it down for me. I really like instrumental and the vocal arrangement, but the vocal track really prevents me from getting behind this. 5/10.
Are you a Bosox fan? :shifty:

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Wolfgang Press are always a group I thought I would like but never got around to listening to. It's probably because back when I actually read the music press I'd hear them linked with Renegade Soundwave. And because I'm not right in the head I did some searching and see that the link is band-member-ancestry rather than musical but then again, I'm basing this off of one song so maybe it's not entirely representative. I like this a lot, from the reminder of Larry Grayson to the squealing sounds and repetitive bass. The latter two are a lot of what draws me to rap and I love that I could describe two different genres in the same way.

Viet Cong - I like the schizophrenia of this song. I know nothing about them or their history but I'm refusing to call them Preoccupations. Can't decide which section of Continental Shelf I like the best, probably just about the droney background parts but it's close.

Never heard of Slothrust either so I'm glad the singer saved me from embarrassment by letting me know how to pronounce their name. I might still go with Slow-Thrust though because there's plausible deniability there. I wasn't sure if this was going to spiky guitar or a 20 minute soundscape a la Godspeed You Black Emperor and it turned out to be a million different things. I can't deny that for nearly 30 seconds I thought this was going to let the side down a bit and then it kicked in with that walking bass (dunno if that's a way to describe it but hopefully someone knows what I mean) and all was good with the world again
I even like the 30 second guitar solos which would normally be an instant turn-off.

And shame on me, I've not seen You're the Worst so I can't continue my new rating system based on characters from a TV show linked to one of more of the songs. In lieu of that, I'm just going to say that I like them all immensely and it's hard to pick a favourite... like a Niles, Frasier and Martin of the song world.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

revbob wrote:
06 May 2022, 3:40pm
matedog wrote:
06 May 2022, 1:37pm
oliver wrote:

Are you a Bosox fan? :shifty:
:huh:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Wolfgang Press, “Shut that Door” - Bassy, noisy, cool.

Viet Cong, “Continental Shelf
I like it, I like it, I hate it.

Never seen the show you speak of I dont even own a TV :shifty:
As for the music. Cool rockin fun!

Slothrust was my favorite out of these 3 and I would immediately buy tix if they were coming to town.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

The Wolfgang Press: This song is really good; I went and dug up Queer (don't bother; it's their version of Gang of Four's Hard) and then a collection from Kory in 2018 (this is pretty good); the vocals are the weakest pert for me.

Preoccupation: pretty okay song; I like the stomping feel from the loud parts; the alternating periods with backing vocals are decent.

Slothrust: solid overall but the vocals without percussion are very meh.

Thanks, Doc! I've got to do a little more digging into the Wolfgang Press catalog.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Well, my one week reign of error is complete. Thanks muchly to those who listened and offered assessments (with more thought than I've mustered for y'alls, suckahs!). The next up is Kimmelweck, who is sadly MIA, so it's back to gkbill.

(Also, you really should seek out You're the Worst. I ain't exaggerating when I say it's the best sitcom the 21st century has produced.)
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

In honor of Mother's Day here in the US - I think these are all from new releases:

The Seratones - Gotta To Get To Know Ya

Artsick - Stress Bomb

DEHD - Bad Love
Last edited by gkbill on 14 May 2022, 11:47am, edited 1 time in total.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Really great vocals but musically this is not for me.
Artsick - Bad Love
Loved this great fun track . Like the amateur feel.
DEHD - Bad Love
Trying way too hard to be cool. Didn't grab me much.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Really great vocals, like the bass too. This works for me. I will invite further

Artsick - Bad Love - Nice, fun jangly garage rock. I dont often gravitate towards such happy music but I like this.

DEHD - Bad Love - Isnt this that song that was on the radio a few years ago Mumford or something? I didn't like it then and Im not crazy about this one.

The first two are solid and all 3 are new artists to me. Well done.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Another three I've never heard of (which seems to be the default so I no longer wonder if it's me or the collective you)

One benefit of not knowing, and apologies if I've written this before, is that I can formulate in my mind what each band sounds like based on their name and then see how wrong I am.

For The Seratones I was expecting a more buttery smooth sound and I instead I got a fuzzy guitar which sounds almost exactly like Back By Dope Demand by King Bee which was a huge song for me growing up (which, I'm almost positive, sampled Herbie Hancock.) As others have said, those vocals are wonderful so this is a huge win for me.

Artsick is very more-ish but it does inspire me to play The Breeders so I can remember how much I liked them. That sounds like I'm kind of dismissing the actual song which is not right because I like it a lot and once it's there it's hard to get out my head.

The first 30 seconds of DEHD had me worried that it would be the sensitive song from a heavy metal band but it soon eased into something a bit more jangly and something I can enjoy (as long as I don't watch the video)

So hard to pick a winner here but The Seratones just seems a little bigger if not necessarily better.

The Seratones - just about top
Artsick - a close second
DEHD - not far off
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Because it seems unlikely that Tom will make it for the upcoming week one Mr Flex Flexerson should have a suitable packet of non DMB 3s for submission.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

revbob wrote:
15 May 2022, 6:31pm
Because it seems unlikely that Tom will make it for the upcoming week one Mr Flex Flexerson should have a suitable packet of non DMB 3s for submission.
I will oblige (and also catch up on the last few weeks! Been particularly tough to carve out some non-work computer desk time lately but that should settle down now)! Be on the lookout tomorrow.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!