Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The grocery store (and gas station) music thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
30 Apr 2023, 11:08pm
gkbill wrote:
30 Apr 2023, 10:58pm
Hello,

I'm more favorable of the Police than most here. They brought a reggae-influence into pop music - a very good thing - more so they most other artists. I met Sting in 1979. He was a good guy and we had a good conversation. Based on reading a few interviews, he's become pretentious. Okay, I can deal with that. To deny the catch-i-ness of Message in a Bottle is a false mission. Listen to So Lonely and not sing along - I dare you. I understand I'm taking an unpopular stand with the regulars.
I think Doc is on record as a Police Enjoyer. I like 'em, although less so their later albums. I've always been meaning to do a police comp of some of what I think of as their more interesting stuff. There's at least a CDs worth of material I'd think would pass most punk's muster.
That's where I'm at. As much as Stink irritates me, I won't deny that the Police as a whole were pretty damned good. That I rarely listen to them is akin to why I don't listen to the Smiths often now—that voice immediately irritates (not for aesthetic reasons) and I have to get in a frame of mind to, I dunno, absorb it. But I could put together a 74-minute collection that wouldn't be all singles (and, damn straight, it would include "Mother"; beautifully unhinged).
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

gkbill wrote:
30 Apr 2023, 10:58pm
Hello,

I'm more favorable of the Police than most here. They brought a reggae-influence into pop music - a very good thing - more so they most other artists. I met Sting in 1979. He was a good guy and we had a good conversation. Based on reading a few interviews, he's become pretentious. Okay, I can deal with that. To deny the catch-i-ness of Message in a Bottle is a false mission. Listen to So Lonely and not sing along - I dare you. I understand I'm taking an unpopular stand with the regulars.
The Police are a-okay in my book.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

The Boss' Youngstown trumps Billy Joel's Allentown every single day of the week.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
01 May 2023, 10:15am

The Boss' Youngstown trumps Billy Joel's Allentown every single day of the week.
I guess being pissed on isn't as bad as being shit on, but, hey, no kink shaming here. :meh:

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 May 2023, 10:22am
WestwayKid wrote:

I guess being pissed on isn't as bad as being shit on, but, hey, no kink shaming here. :meh:
Couldn't have said it better.

Also with all due respect to gkbill and anyone else here if there's a good Police song I ain't heared it yet. And Im sure there's nothing from his solo career that can beat a Phil Collins song.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I'm jinxed. I heard this clunker at the gas station this morning...

The video is as terrible as the song. You get the main character, who looks like he stepped out of an ABC After School Special, about to jump off the 59th Street Bridge... but before he does, the Piano Man, appears and shows him that life really isn't that bad. The song itself has some of the most obnoxious keyboard/synth sounds ever recorded. It's like they threw every bad 80's production technique into a blender, matched it with some stupid lyrics, and put it out.

Music Video Trivia: the actor who plays the kid who almost drowns in the video is Adam Savage, who would later become famous as one of the MythBusters.

Also, bashing Billy Joel feels like taking a swing at low hanging fruit... there is much (if anything) by him that doesn't grate, but some of his stuff is so obnoxiously bad that I can't resist.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

revbob wrote:
01 May 2023, 10:33am

Also with all due respect to gkbill and anyone else here if there's a good Police song I ain't heared it yet.
Here, try this:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
01 May 2023, 10:39am
Also, bashing Billy Joel feels like taking a swing at low hanging fruit... there is much (if anything) by him that doesn't grate, but some of his stuff is so obnoxiously bad that I can't resist.
Bashing Billy Joel was much more satisfying when we were talking about Kaleb.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
01 May 2023, 10:43am
revbob wrote:

Also with all due respect to gkbill and anyone else here if there's a good Police song I ain't heared it yet.
Here, try this:
Loadsa great Police songs.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
01 May 2023, 10:43am
revbob wrote:

Here, try this:
Decent, should have been shorter and it would have been better. Show me an album of similar caliber and I'll retract many of my past statements regarding the band. Sting however will still an considered an insufferable twat.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

WestwayKid wrote:

That Nils solo at the end...
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

My favorite Police song. While I like some of their stuff i'm not the biggest fan.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

WestwayKid wrote:

The video is as terrible as the song. You get the main character, who looks like he stepped out of an ABC After School Special, about to jump off the 59th Street Bridge... but before he does, the Piano Man, appears and shows him that life really isn't that bad. The song itself has some of the most obnoxious keyboard/synth sounds ever recorded. It's like they threw every bad 80's production technique into a blender, matched it with some stupid lyrics, and put it out.

Music Video Trivia: the actor who plays the kid who almost drowns in the video is Adam Savage, who would later become famous as one of the MythBusters.

GH Vol 1&2 was one of the first tapes I ever owned (after Best of the Best of Chuck Berry), so this one got a lot of play. Never saw the video before. Why was the dude wearing glasses while swimming? Three people are credited with playing "syntharmonica" on that song in addition to another guy credited with playing synthesizer.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
01 May 2023, 1:13pm
Sting however will still an considered an insufferable twat.
There is no evidence in heaven or hell or on earth to disprove that.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

matedog wrote:
01 May 2023, 1:42pm
WestwayKid wrote:

GH Vol 1&2 was one of the first tapes I ever owned (after Best of the Best of Chuck Berry), so this one got a lot of play. Never saw the video before. Why was the dude wearing glasses while swimming? Three people are credited with playing "syntharmonica" on that song in addition to another guy credited with playing synthesizer.
I mean why settle for one syntharmonica when you can have three?