The grocery store (and gas station) music thread

General music discussion.
BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Re: The grocery store (and gas station) music thread

Post by BitterTom »

Our shop played the full, nearly 9 minute version of American Pie earlier, it truly brightened my day. Don't think the customers appreciated my sing-along however.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BitterTom wrote:
30 Mar 2022, 12:42pm
Our shop played the full, nearly 9 minute version of American Pie earlier, it truly brightened my day. Don't think the customers appreciated my sing-along however.
:disshame:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I heard Adia by Sarah McLachlan at the grocery store on Monday and I still can't get it out of my head. It's a terrible song. It's like someone went into Audacity and copied the section where she sings: "That we were born innocent, Believe me, Adia, we are still innocent, It's easy, we all falter, Does it matter?" and just copied it again and again and again. It felt like the song was 10 minutes long. I kept expecting it to end, but it didn't - she just sang the hookless chorus over and over again.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Trader Joe’s always seems to play OMC’s “How Bizarre” when I’m there. In the 25 or so years since that came out, my opinion on the song has improved from “mild dislike” to “mild enjoyment.”
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:
28 Apr 2022, 10:22am
Trader Joe’s always seems to play OMC’s “How Bizarre” when I’m there. In the 25 or so years since that came out, my opinion on the song has improved from “mild dislike” to “mild enjoyment.”
Samesies
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
28 Apr 2022, 10:16am
I heard Adia by Sarah McLachlan at the grocery store on Monday and I still can't get it out of my head. It's a terrible song. It's like someone went into Audacity and copied the section where she sings: "That we were born innocent, Believe me, Adia, we are still innocent, It's easy, we all falter, Does it matter?" and just copied it again and again and again. It felt like the song was 10 minutes long. I kept expecting it to end, but it didn't - she just sang the hookless chorus over and over again.
Ugh. The stuff I've heard from her is utterly joyless. She also used to do PSAs for abused animals, so I just have a visceral aversion to her.
matedog wrote:
28 Apr 2022, 10:22am
:yuck:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

I once heard a muzak version of "I wanna be Sedated' at the grocery store. This was back in the 90s, too.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

JennyB wrote:
28 Apr 2022, 11:07am
I once heard a muzak version of "I wanna be Sedated' at the grocery store. This was back in the 90s, too.
I worked at a grocery store back in the 90's and for the first couple of years they only played Muzak. I heard some pretty crazy versions of songs I liked. It was a revelation for us when they went to regular music.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

JennyB wrote:
Nevermind, I take back what I said on Wolter's Twitter. The 90's ruled. :cool:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

matedog wrote:
28 Apr 2022, 11:25am
JennyB wrote:
Nevermind, I take back what I said on Wolter's Twitter. The 90's ruled. :cool:
GDH.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Heard this stinker at 7-Eleven this morning. It didn't know how it was by, but it was so bad/annoying that I looked it up when I got home.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
21 Dec 2022, 11:55am

Heard this stinker at 7-Eleven this morning. It didn't know how it was by, but it was so bad/annoying that I looked it up when I got home.
I only know of them because, at the time, they were hyped by the fact that one of them co-wrote one of Cyndi Lauper's big hits (don't know which one; let's go with "She Bop").

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:

Generic bad 80s rock. Enquiring minds want to know did it chart?

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

revbob wrote:
21 Dec 2022, 12:26pm
WestwayKid wrote:

Horrid stuff right there.
Attachments
Hooters All You Zombies Charts.jpg
Hooters All You Zombies Charts.jpg (26.9 KiB) Viewed 1569 times
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
21 Dec 2022, 12:35pm
revbob wrote:
21 Dec 2022, 12:26pm
WestwayKid wrote:

Horrid stuff right there.
Does this mean Canada shut the door on it? I'd say good, but it was probably to make room for Cory Hart and Bryan Adams.