Lock up your phone

General music discussion.
JChampion
Sightsee MC

Lock up your phone

Post by JChampion »

I just got back from Nashville and had the pleasure of see Jack White live at the Ascend Amphitheater. I saw him the first night and it was great. Played everything I was hoping for along with my White Stripes fav “Hello Operator”.

The thing that I didn’t think I’d like is the locking up of your phone in a yondr bag with a magnetic lock. But…
It was great. No arms and phones in your line of site plus 4 waking hours of no interruptions or the need to check in on other things. Total attention to the show. I will admit, at concerts I do try to get pics and video of certain songs. But this, I found it refreshing.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: Lock up your phone

Post by Flex »

Yeah, I've been to a couple concerts that did that. Loved it.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

I am strongly in favor of this. Too many watch their phone recording the concert during the concert.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Phones never bothered me. If the show is hot, phones aren’t going to be a noticeable thing. Also it’s a great opportunity to get footage of a performer you might not otherwise be able to see. I’m for bootlegging*

*non profit bootlegging
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Post by NoMoreHugh »

How long does it take an artist / Band to fathom out that concert goers are desperate for footage of the gig as a memory. There should be a £5 added to the ticket if you want a recording after the event sent to an order address. Youtube is proof of its popularity and that people are happy with any old shitty recording its the memory of the experience they want. What are artists trying to hide there is a big market out there waiting to be taken advantage of.

A greengrocer gets annoyed that every 5 mins he has a customer asking for a fork / spade to buy and hes been moaning for years that hes just a green grocer and he only sells fruit and veg- so start selling forks / spades you foolish idiot

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

matedog wrote:
07 May 2022, 1:04am
Phones never bothered me. If the show is hot, phones aren’t going to be a noticeable thing. Also it’s a great opportunity to get footage of a performer you might not otherwise be able to see. I’m for bootlegging*

*non profit bootlegging
Matey at shows

Flex

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:

*non profit bootlegging
In the abstract this would probably be my position, but having been to several phone-free concerts the reality is the audience engagement and atmosphere is just so, so much more incredible without phones that it meaningfully improves the experience to a point where I think it genuinely improves the value proposition of the show. Going to a concert is part of a shared collective experience with the people around you and it lessens it when almost no one is fully engaged in what's actually happening.

At bob shoes, he's notorious about cracking down on phone use, but people are still able to get good quality audience audio recordings of shoes. Pretty much every single show of his post-pandemic touring is available online in good quality. Phone bans don't prevent documentation of the live sets.

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I'll take a few pics but that's about it. I prefer to see a show live, not thru a phone/lens.

We got a video camera after my daughter was born. My wife was always wanting me to video stuff and I would but generally hated doing it. I always felt it removed me to so.e degree from the actual experience.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

The phone thing doesn't bother me too much, I enjoy seeing / hearing some of the songs played after I've seen a band live.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

revbob wrote:
07 May 2022, 9:49am
I'll take a few pics but that's about it. I prefer to see a show live, not thru a phone/lens.

We got a video camera after my daughter was born. My wife was always wanting me to video stuff and I would but generally hated doing it. I always felt it removed me to so.e degree from the actual experience.
Same. Few pics or shots is fine, but when folk seem to want to frame and capture every single moment for posterity, i definitely question whether they can be enjoying or savouring the experience.

Another thing that perplexes me is when I'm watching Glastonbury or some other festival on tv and the place is full of people holding and waving flags. Again, not something that might bother me unduly, i just think, "hey, what's up with all the flags?"

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I’m only of average height, so standing behind people that are blocking my view of the stage with their fucking phone drives me to murderous rages. Take a couple pics for posterity and then put it away for the rest of the show.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

matedog

Post by matedog »

I guess I understand the critique in theory, but I’ve never been to a show that was good and remembered a phone being out sufficiently to disengage me from the show.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog

Post by matedog »

revbob wrote:
07 May 2022, 6:21am
matedog wrote:

*non profit bootlegging
Matey at shows

Ha. What’s the from?

Flex

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:
08 May 2022, 9:14am
I guess I understand the critique in theory, but I’ve never been to a show that was good and remembered a phone being out sufficiently to disengage me from the show.
It's more a "you don't realize what you're missing out on until you experience it" thing. First time I went to one of those no-phone shows I thought it was just going to be annoying but ended up realizing how much cell phone ubiquity detracted from the overall experience

My philosophy is increasingly if I just want to watch a live concert while fucking around on my phone and not caring if anyone else around me is into it ot not, I'll just watch a concert DVD at home and save myself the cash.

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

matedog wrote:
08 May 2022, 9:18am
revbob wrote:
07 May 2022, 6:21am
matedog wrote:

*non profit bootlegging
Matey at shows

Ha. What’s the from?
The infamous What's Happening episode where rerun is forced into bootlegging a Doobie Brothers show.

https://youtu.be/nCwJRtXMEVI