matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: Ranking the Discographies

Post by matedog »

WestwayKid wrote:
18 May 2022, 11:03am
matedog wrote:
18 May 2022, 10:55am
Ah fuck that abysmal cover of "Rock and Roll Music" is on that album.
It's lousy (in my opinion). The cover looks cheap. They also don't sing that well. Brian should not have been put in charge. It would have been better if they had gone with original songs instead of so many covers. It has its charms. The version of "Just Once in My Life" by Brian & Carl is strangely moving. I think it did lead to Love You, however, which is such a wonderfully insane album.
Listening now, "It's O.K." is pretty alright.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog

Post by matedog »

WestwayKid wrote:
matedog wrote:
The version of "Just Once in My Life" by Brian & Carl is strangely moving. I think it did lead to Love You, however, which is such a wonderfully insane album.
Is the wrecked voice Brian? Yeesh, I would have guessed that was peak alcoholism Dennis.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
18 May 2022, 10:53am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 May 2022, 9:07am
WestwayKid wrote:
18 May 2022, 8:12am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 May 2022, 8:01pm
Flex wrote:
17 May 2022, 6:32pm
Summer In Paradise
According to Wikipedia, it sold 1000 copies on release. Which, if true, holy cow, how can that be true? There has to be more than 1000 BB fans who'd have bought anything, right? That's just hard to fathom how a long-standing band could sell so few copies.
It's the only Beach Boys LP I don't own as a CD, LP, cassette. Just have a version I ripped years and years ago. It is crazy that they only sold about 1000 copies. I think one of their distributors went bankrupt (possibly because of the album's poor sales), so not may production runs were actually done. John Stamos even helped promote the album on Full House, but apparently that didn't help, either.
Yeah, the Wiki entry mentions that its flop contributed to the distributor going under.
I don't believe that. I think the album flopped BECAUSE the distributor went under. Fans were clamoring for the album, but it was nowhere to be found!
That was just the American distributor. It had European and Asian distribution independent off that. And if there was sufficient interest perceived by the label, a new distributor would have been found. I don't know the full story, but that one album couldn't have been solely responsible for a distributor going under—it was doubtless already suffering cash flow problems—but this dud helped push it over.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

matedog wrote:
18 May 2022, 11:23am
WestwayKid wrote:
matedog wrote:
The version of "Just Once in My Life" by Brian & Carl is strangely moving. I think it did lead to Love You, however, which is such a wonderfully insane album.
Is the wrecked voice Brian? Yeesh, I would have guessed that was peak alcoholism Dennis.
Yes, sadly that's Brian. He claims he had laryngitis during the sessions and while he would sound better just a few years later, it must have been jarring for fans to hear him on 15 Big Ones.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 May 2022, 11:53am
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 May 2022, 8:01pm

According to Wikipedia, it sold 1000 copies on release. Which, if true, holy cow, how can that be true? There has to be more than 1000 BB fans who'd have bought anything, right? That's just hard to fathom how a long-standing band could sell so few copies.
It's the only Beach Boys LP I don't own as a CD, LP, cassette. Just have a version I ripped years and years ago. It is crazy that they only sold about 1000 copies. I think one of their distributors went bankrupt (possibly because of the album's poor sales), so not may production runs were actually done. John Stamos even helped promote the album on Full House, but apparently that didn't help, either.
Yeah, the Wiki entry mentions that its flop contributed to the distributor going under.
I don't believe that. I think the album flopped BECAUSE the distributor went under. Fans were clamoring for the album, but it was nowhere to be found!
That was just the American distributor. It had European and Asian distribution independent off that. And if there was sufficient interest perceived by the label, a new distributor would have been found. I don't know the full story, but that one album couldn't have been solely responsible for a distributor going under—it was doubtless already suffering cash flow problems—but this dud helped push it over.
Nah, I prefer my theory. Give the people what they want! Summer in Paradise!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
18 May 2022, 12:52pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 May 2022, 11:53am
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Nah, I prefer my theory. Give the people what they want! Summer in Paradise!
The avatar confirms this statement.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Buzzcocks:

Another Music in a Different Kitchen
A Different Kind of Tension
Love Bites
Buzzcocks
All Set
Trade Test Transmissions
Flat-Pack Philosophy
The Way
Modern

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Ramones:

Rocket to Russia
Ramones
Leave Home
Road to Ruin
Too Tough to Die
End of the Century
Pleasant Dreams
Mondo Bizzaro
Subterranean Jungle
Animal Boy
Halfway to Sanity
Adios Amigos
Brain Drain
Acid Eaters

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Aimee Mann.
In reality, the top two are out on their own. Flawless albums.
The next seven are fluid depending on my mood. All have positives and high points.
The final one I bought used and listened to once out of some sort of loyalty or masochistic need to be complete the collection. Can't imagine ever listening to it again.

Lost in Space (2002)
Bachelor No. 2 or, the Last Remains of the Dodo (2000)
----
Mental Illness (2017)
Whatever (1993)
I'm With Stupid (1995)
@#%&*! Smilers (2008)
Charmer (2012)
Queens of the Summer Hotel (2021)
The Forgotten Arm (2005)
----
One More Drifter in the Snow (2006)
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

WestwayKid wrote:
24 May 2022, 12:45pm
Ramones:

Rocket to Russia
Ramones
Leave Home
Road to Ruin
Too Tough to Die
End of the Century
Pleasant Dreams
Mondo Bizzaro
Subterranean Jungle
Animal Boy
Halfway to Sanity
Adios Amigos
Brain Drain
Acid Eaters
Hello,

I'm pretty close to this order.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

gkbill wrote:
24 May 2022, 3:27pm
WestwayKid wrote:
24 May 2022, 12:45pm
Ramones:

Rocket to Russia
Ramones
Leave Home
Road to Ruin
Too Tough to Die
End of the Century
Pleasant Dreams
Mondo Bizzaro
Subterranean Jungle
Animal Boy
Halfway to Sanity
Adios Amigos
Brain Drain
Acid Eaters
Hello,

I'm pretty close to this order.
I went back and forth on Halfway to Sanity. It's a better LP than it gets credit for. It's not great, but I like its raw, bargain basement sound.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

A Kiss in the Dreamhouse
Juju
Peepshow
Tinderbox
Kaleidoscope
Hyaena
Join Hands
The Scream
The Rapture
Superstition
Through the Looking Glass
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Kory wrote:
24 May 2022, 4:29pm
A Kiss in the Dreamhouse
Juju
Peepshow
Tinderbox
Kaleidoscope
Hyaena
Join Hands
The Scream
The Rapture
Superstition
Tinderbox
A Kiss in the Dreamhouse
Kaleidoscope
Juju
Peepshow
Hyaena
The Scream
The Rapture
Superstition
Join Hands

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Germfree Adolescents
The other album they put out

(It's OK. GA makes up for it all).
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
25 May 2022, 12:44pm
Germfree Adolescents
The other album they put out

(It's OK. GA makes up for it all).
Ugh, that album from the 90s was dreary.