Ranking the Discographies

General music discussion.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Ranking the Discographies

Post by WestwayKid »

Every week I'm going to rank the discography of a band I like. It's all subjective, of course, but thought it might lead to some good conversations and maybe even some good arguments. My only criteria is that it has to be an official studio album: nothing live (unless it's considered a "studio" album that was recorded live) and no retrospective "lost" studio albums.

First up, The Who (from best to worst):

1) Who's Next
2) The Who Sell Out
3) My Generation
4) Quadrophenia
5) A Quick One
6) Who (yeah, their latest and greatest was a pleasantly surprising listen for me)
7) The Who by Numbers
8) Endless Wire
9) Who Are You
10) Face Dances
11) It's Hard

Note: If I included Live At Leeds, it would be near the top of the list. I like it as much, if not better, than their best studio output. I did go back and forth on the top spot, but the sound on Who's Next is fantastic and it's the first Who album I fell in love with. The Kenney Jones era falls the shortest (in my opinion). It's not Townshend's songwriting, which was good, but rather Daltrey's delivery. He spent the 70's singing with a bit too much bluster, but it worked when the songs sounded huge.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: Ranking the Discographies

Post by revbob »

I won't argue. I haven't heard anything new really past "Its Hard". Id put Tommy in there somewhere too.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

1. Sell Out
2. My Generation
3. A Quick One
4. Tommy
5. Yeah, whatever, every album has something good, but lots of meh to yuck
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Quadrophenia >>>>>>>>>>>> Whos Next > Sell Out > Tommy > My Generation > Quick One >>>> Numbers > Who Are You >>>> <the rest>

I love the way the themes flow in and out of the songs on Quadrophenia. I grew up on "My Generation" so when I first heard Quadrophenia it left me cold because of the lack of an immediate 2:30 long hit single but I went back years later and it clicked.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 May 2022, 9:20am
1. Sell Out
2. My Generation
3. A Quick One
4. Tommy
You're clearly not a fan of the post-1969 Daltrey over sings everything era of the band ... ;)

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
09 May 2022, 11:04am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 May 2022, 9:20am
1. Sell Out
2. My Generation
3. A Quick One
4. Tommy
You're clearly not a fan of the post-1969 Daltrey over sings everything era of the band ... ;)
Also the Pete "Concept Album" Townshend era. I was born in 1969; I prefer the Who from when I wasn't alive.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Who's Next, Quadrophenia & The Who By Numbers have always been my faves.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Sparky wrote:
09 May 2022, 11:29am
Who's Next, Quadrophenia & The Who By Numbers have always been my faves.
The Who By Numbers is possibly underrated by me.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I think we did a top 5 who albums at some point, I remember putting A Quick One at the top at the time. Looking at their discography now, I'm tempted to say that you can just rank the albums in their chronological order. Those first two records, when they were hard edged garage modders, still beats everything else for me.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex wrote:
09 May 2022, 11:54am
I think we did a top 5 who albums at some point, I remember putting A Quick One at the top at the time. Looking at their discography now, I'm tempted to say that you can just rank the albums in their chronological order. Those first two records, when they were hard edged garage modders, still beats everything else for me.
My issue with A Quick One is that Pete let everyone else write songs. Enwistle did okay, but also stuck with the weird/jokey theme.

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Flex wrote:
I agree with you. Television help if you just want to go with chronological order, but a bit of a bugger if you want to compile a top five. I've got a bus pass, a pension and no musical ability and they've still only got three more studio albums than me.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The closer you get in their catalogue to when they were the High Numbers, the closer you get to what punks found appealing about the Who. The further away you go, the more reasons you find for them being called a dinosaur band by punks.

Flex

Post by Flex »

WestwayKid wrote:
09 May 2022, 12:34pm
My issue with A Quick One is that Pete let everyone else write songs. Enwistle did okay, but also stuck with the weird/jokey theme.
The weird jokey ones are some of my favorites!

Pex Lives!

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 May 2022, 12:50pm
The closer you get in their catalogue to when they were the High Numbers, the closer you get to what punks found appealing about the Who. The further away you go, the more reasons you find for them being called a dinosaur band by punks.
Yeah, this is exactly right. And as someone who is a an unreconstructed punk rocker at heart, that's still what most appeals.

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

WestwayKid wrote:
09 May 2022, 12:34pm
Flex wrote:
He was the Stewart Copeland of the Who.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc