Music Books/biographies

General music discussion.
chocolatejesus
Dirty Punk

Music Books/biographies

Post by chocolatejesus »

Being mostly a lurker around here I got the Johnny Green book thanks to some praise it got here and Just put Steve jones' book to my wishlist after catching up a bit on the pistols Thread.
Since I believe a lot of you folks are fairly competent I'd love to hear some more recommendations on books about / by relevant artists as I kind of just got into these. Until a couple of years ago the thought of reading about music seemed just wrong.

I liked Greens book for some interesting insider Info and annecdotes which left me wanting more of them.can Mick Jones please write His story down ffs?
Also I loved Steve hanleys book about his ~20 years in the Fall as it is a very humble and down to earth version of some of the most bizarre band historys i know of.
I liked Peter hooks(the JD one,I dont really care about NO) and Genesis P-Orridges books and Wreckless Eric also did a very fine job.
The greatest one I got through would be the Beastie Boys book which is just so insanely entertaining I would say its a must for everybody who ist just remotely aware of their existense.

Oh yeah, Rat Scabies And The Holy Grail takes the cake for being the obscurest and probably funniest I read.

ArmagideonTim
Dirty Punk

Re: Music Books/biographies

Post by ArmagideonTim »

One I really liked that doesn't seem to get mentioned much is Nico, Songs They Never Play on the Radio by James Young. It's quite tragic but is funny too.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

chocolatejesus wrote:
05 Jun 2022, 2:48pm
Also I loved Steve hanleys book about his ~20 years in the Fall as it is a very humble and down to earth version of some of the most bizarre band historys i know of.
You might like the "Oh Brother" podcast. The couple I've listened to have been quite funny (I usually only dip in when it's a good guest)

https://shows.acast.com/oh-brother/about
Tales from one of Britain's most influential post-punk bands, The Fall. From the rhythm section that brought you Hex Enduction Hour, brothers Paul and Steve Hanley provide insight and anecdotes from their time in the band, along with interviews with other members, people involved with the band and fans from the world of music and beyond.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

oliver wrote:
06 Jun 2022, 8:15am
chocolatejesus wrote:
You might like the "Oh Brother" podcast. The couple I've listened to have been quite funny (I usually only dip in when it's a good guest)

Tales from one of Britain's most influential post-punk bands, The Fall. From the rhythm section that brought you Hex Enduction Hour, brothers Paul and Steve Hanley provide insight and anecdotes from their time in the band, along with interviews with other members, people involved with the band and fans from the world of music and beyond.
That sounds like group therapy for survivors of domestic abuse.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

chocolatejesus
Dirty Punk

Post by chocolatejesus »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Jun 2022, 8:32am
oliver wrote:
06 Jun 2022, 8:15am
chocolatejesus wrote:

That sounds like group therapy for survivors of domestic abuse.
Ha, thats probably very true.

Thanks but their northern accent and shitty Sound quality prevents me from understanding about anything(my english isnt that great)
Which is a shame because they even got Craig Scanlon who, as far as I know, flew mostly under the radar after he quit/got sacked.
Paul also wrote a book on how Hex Enduction Hour was made which is also a nice read.