That's a sex mad roar

Now I hate goin' out 'til the jungle drum is poundin'
An I'll be walking through the door and I want you to calm me down
They find who to blame he's an easy one to frame, Estelle
I believe her hair is blowing

Hey I'm drowning in that sound
That's a sex mad roar - what?
Drowning in that sound
That's the sex mad roar hey! hey! hey! wait!

Drowning in that sound
That's the sex mad roar
hey! heeeeey!
That's a sex mad roar

Faster, faster, Rasta, Rasta

Not even Che Guevara could ignore your mascara, Senorita
He said Karl Marx was a devil in the dark then you wept
Fidel's on the floor we sit down on the rugs
well even revolutions have to wait

Get drowned out by the sound
That's a sex mad roar
Yeah I'm was drowning in that sound
That's a sex mad roar

Oh, oh, oh, oh

Drowning to the sound
That's a sex mad roar
Yeah, drowning in the sound
That's a sex mad roar

Hup, hup, hup, hup

yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
Wow, that's cleared up some long standing mysteries for me, thanks md. Very curious song, i don't dislike it and, lyrically, there are some good lines and typical clever Joe word play in it, but overall it just fails to come together for me. Not to mention practically impenetrable, even by Joe's lofty standards!
I had to rip the vocal separately and then enhance it to understand it. I think it's pretty close.
It's great work mate. Pretty sure no one will get any closer! Hippy Dortmund and Estelle are great cops. Kinda does make it all a bit weirder, like who is Estelle and what exactly has just happened to her?
Definitely a dig at sex culture and the abuse of women. Though they are some hamfisted lyrics.
Par for the CTC course. Thanks for posting these and doing the lord's work. Definitely sounds good. I wonder how it compares to the Sex Mad War lyrics. Sounds like the theme is the same at least.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Sex Mad Roar lyrics

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 2:13pm
Marky Dread wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 10:30am
Low Down Low wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 10:10am
Marky Dread wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 9:53am
Low Down Low wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 9:41am

Wow, that's cleared up some long standing mysteries for me, thanks md. Very curious song, i don't dislike it and, lyrically, there are some good lines and typical clever Joe word play in it, but overall it just fails to come together for me. Not to mention practically impenetrable, even by Joe's lofty standards!
I had to rip the vocal separately and then enhance it to understand it. I think it's pretty close.
It's great work mate. Pretty sure no one will get any closer! Hippy Dortmund and Estelle are great cops. Kinda does make it all a bit weirder, like who is Estelle and what exactly has just happened to her?
Definitely a dig at sex culture and the abuse of women. Though they are some hamfisted lyrics.
Par for the CTC course. Thanks for posting these and doing the lord's work. Definitely sounds good. I wonder how it compares to the Sex Mad War lyrics. Sounds like the theme is the same at least.
I've not checked them against the live versions but the early live versions were definitely different.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 4:23pm
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 9:53am

I've not checked them against the live versions but the early live versions were definitely different.
I just remembered something like, "Going to the party, never made it to the party she was gone" or something like that.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 4:52pm
Marky Dread wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 4:23pm
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

I just remembered something like, "Going to the party, never made it to the party she was gone" or something like that.
Yes I remember those lyrics.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Marky Dread wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 2:06pm
NoMoreHugh wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 1:59pm
Marky Dread wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 11:23am
Low Down Low wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 11:12am
NoMoreHugh wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 11:00am
Did they change the title of this for any particular reason ? When i saw them at Brixton i was certain Joe announced this as "Sex Mad war" and the bootlegs that came out afterwards also named them the same. Then it came out released as the word "Roar" instead but then again Joe was hard to understand so it might have been my ears playing up. I just liked "War" better as a title.
Have a vague recollection of reading that it was the record company that insisted on changing it because they didn't like the word war in the title for some reason.
English Civil War/Hate & War...They didn't seem to mind those. Maybe they didn't like the idea of "Sex" and "War" in the title together. Maybe they just didn't like the song.🤣
So with the likes of Madonna fighting for power feminism maybe they thought war was projecting a battle of the sexes and thought Roar was a better option.

They should have used Sex Mad Phwoar
The Clash should leave the misogyny to The Stranglers. ;)
ha ha nice one !

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Wow, we have multiple Sex Mad Roar lyrics threads: https://clashcity.com/boards/viewtopic. ... 84#p214884

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
22 Jun 2022, 12:00pm
Wow, we have multiple Sex threads: https://clashcity.com/boards/viewtopic. ... 84#p214884
:shifty:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia