KISS vs. Swans: The Poll

General music discussion.

Simple question: Which is the better band?

KISS
47%
Swans
53%

Total votes: 17

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: KISS vs. Swans: The Poll

Post by Flex »

I went with swans because I have the good, not bad, kind of brain damage.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

At least Swans are doing something from the soul. Kiss are just merchandise.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Olaf wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 3:00pm
I can't stand the suspense.
I've never heard a single thing by "The Suspense" are they German?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

We need to have a finish line. Will it be the first to 10 votes wins? Will voting be completed by August 15, 2022 12:00 pm EDT?

Please pick or define a finish line - then we can start wagering on how long until the election/poll fraud discussion starts. Will it be Heston or Doc screaming "Stop the steal"?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 4:20pm
Hello,

We need to have a finish line. Will it be the first to 10 votes wins? Will voting be completed by August 15, 2022 12:00 pm EDT?

Please pick or define a finish line - then we can start wagering on how long until the election/poll fraud discussion starts. Will it be Heston or Doc screaming "Stop the steal"?
I wasn't planning on ever closing this. Leave it an open question, a monument to the cruel absence of a "I really just don't want to spend much time with either band" option.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

These 70s KISS songs just sound like bad Skynyrd. Swans obviously covers a larger time period, so the sound change between these three songs is pronounced - one reminds me of Pretty Hate Machine era NIN (I'm assuming Swans is a big influence for Reznor). Musically Swans is dense and interesting, vocally lacking. If Hes had picked a broader selection of songs, I might call it a draw, but I might have to give the edge of the three song choices to Swans.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Strutter is a legit song though.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 4:35pm
(I'm assuming Swans is a big influence for Reznor).
I can't speak to Reznor particularly, but Swans have long been one of those bands adored more by artists than music fans, especially those on the noisy, punishing side of things. I recall Henry Rollins saying that they're the heaviest, scariest band he's ever heard.
Musically Swans is dense and interesting, vocally lacking.
That's fair. Gira's voice is more purposeful than properly musical.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:
These 70s KISS songs just sound like bad Skynyrd. Swans obviously covers a larger time period, so the sound change between these three songs is pronounced - one reminds me of Pretty Hate Machine era NIN (I'm assuming Swans is a big influence for Reznor). Musically Swans is dense and interesting, vocally lacking. If Hes had picked a broader selection of songs, I might call it a draw, but I might have to give the edge of the three song choices to Swans.
I pretty much agree with this, except for the assertion there was a path to victory of Heston. Making a 3-song EP with only one actual okay song to represent the most compelling tracks of a band that's been around for like almost 50 years doesn't fill me with confidence that there's a path to victory there.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Marky Dread wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 3:27pm
Olaf wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 3:00pm
I can't stand the suspense.
I've never heard a single thing by "The Suspense" are they German?
This lady is German, presumably a relative of Olaf's because he's German too.
Screenshot_20220808-170740_Video Player.jpg
Attachments
20220807_140516.jpg

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Another vote switch from Swans to KISS! Hoy, did you do a bad, bad thing?

matedog

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 5:10pm
matedog wrote:
I pretty much agree with this, except for the assertion there was a path to victory of Heston. Making a 3-song EP with only one actual okay song to represent the most compelling tracks of a band that's been around for like almost 50 years doesn't fill me with confidence that there's a path to victory there.

This would have done it for me.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 6:04pm
Flex wrote:
matedog wrote:

In fairness to Heston here, I did say in the initial post that while we offered up three songs, people can use whatever criteria they want. Which would include considering other songs. If you legit think KISS is a better band, I'm gonna arch my eyebrow at you, but so be it, you should switch your vote.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 6:11pm
matedog wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 6:04pm
Flex wrote:
matedog wrote:

In fairness to Heston here, I did say in the initial post that while we offered up three songs, people can use whatever criteria they want. Which would include considering other songs. If you legit think KISS is a better band, I'm gonna arch my eyebrow at you, but so be it, you should switch your vote.
I don’t know anything anymore.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 6:24pm
I don’t know anything anymore.
You're ready for Filth. :shifty: