Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: Raw Power Remixed

Post by Flex »

Marky Dread wrote:
30 Aug 2022, 11:10am
Maybe.😉

Have a listen. Then let me know how wonderful I am.🤣
I'm listening on headphones now, listening to Gimme Danger followed by Hard to Beat is a great exercise for this mix. Pretty different moods to the songs, broadly speaking I'd say the former is more of a "Bowie Mix" song while the latter is more of an "Iggy Mix" song. But both benefit greatly from your work here. Bowie's mix was too polite, this keeps the power and edge that Iggy wanted (his liner notes on his version make me sympathetic to what he wanted the album to be, he just didn't know what he was doing) while providing significantly more detail without losing much in the way of dynamics (I mean, it's obviously night and day dynamic difference between this and the Iggy mix). There's still a little Bowie-ness to it (I haven't actually listened to this album in a few years, went more down an alternate cuts/live tracks route with Iggy and The Stooges lately), especially with drums and effects, but you get that real mean guitar work that makes the album so badass and what I imagine Iggy pictured in his head.

Great work Marky. As usual, this becomes the definitive version. :cool:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
30 Aug 2022, 12:26pm
Marky Dread wrote:
30 Aug 2022, 11:10am
Maybe.😉

Have a listen. Then let me know how wonderful I am.🤣
I'm listening on headphones now, listening to Gimme Danger followed by Hard to Beat is a great exercise for this mix. Pretty different moods to the songs, broadly speaking I'd say the former is more of a "Bowie Mix" song while the latter is more of an "Iggy Mix" song. But both benefit greatly from your work here. Bowie's mix was too polite, this keeps the power and edge that Iggy wanted (his liner notes on his version make me sympathetic to what he wanted the album to be, he just didn't know what he was doing) while providing significantly more detail without losing much in the way of dynamics (I mean, it's obviously night and day dynamic difference between this and the Iggy mix). There's still a little Bowie-ness to it (I haven't actually listened to this album in a few years, went more down an alternate cuts/live tracks route with Iggy and The Stooges lately), especially with drums and effects, but you get that real mean guitar work that makes the album so badass and what I imagine Iggy pictured in his head.

Great work Marky. As usual, this becomes the definitive version. :cool:
Obviously both the tracks you mention above are Bowie's mix. The only track on the original album being an Iggy mix is the opener "Search and Destroy". Which I think was actually better Bowie's mix (the bonus track).

However they are all my mixes now.🤣

Glad you enjoyed the mix mate. I am pleased with it. I feel it sits somewhere between Iggy and David's mix retaining that all important power of James Williamson's incredible guitar.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Marky Dread wrote:
30 Aug 2022, 12:55pm
Obviously both the tracks you mention above are Bowie's mix. The only track on the original album being an Iggy mix is the opener "Search and Destroy". Which I think was actually better Bowie's mix (the bonus track).
Right, I just meant more that if you were listening to one vs the other one track would be more sympatico with the Bowie or Iggy mix. You obviously needed the Bowie mixes to do anything since the Iggy mixes are such a mess.
Glad you enjoyed the mix mate. I am pleased with it. I feel it sits somewhere between Iggy and David's mix retaining that all important power of James Williamson's incredible guitar.
Yeah, you did was everyone talked about for years, which was combine the best off the spirits of both. Very good work man.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
30 Aug 2022, 12:58pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Right, I just meant more that if you were listening to one vs the other one track would be more sympatico with the Bowie or Iggy mix. You obviously needed the Bowie mixes to do anything since the Iggy mixes are such a mess.
Yeah, you did was everyone talked about for years, which was combine the best off the spirits of both. Very good work man.
Cheers Flex appreciated. It's such a brilliant album.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Marky Dread wrote:
30 Aug 2022, 1:32pm
Flex wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
It is brilliant and has been with me since I was really young, I had to mail away to NY for it.
And speaking of brilliance don't forget I Got a Right, or the Sick of You, Scene of the Crime and Tight Pants ep

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

coffeepotman wrote:
30 Aug 2022, 4:03pm
Marky Dread wrote:
30 Aug 2022, 1:32pm
Flex wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
It is brilliant and has been with me since I was really young, I had to mail away to NY for it.
And speaking of brilliance don't forget I Got a Right, or the Sick of You, Scene of the Crime and Tight Pants ep
Well "Tight Pants" is really "Shake Appeal" but yeah those tracks are excellent.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I totally missed this, but I did want to publicly wonder why they hell nobody has properly mixed this thing in an official capacity given that it's so important. The Bowie mix is weak, the Pop mix is unlistenable. I still don't own it despite owning and loving the other two Stooges albums just because it falls so far below what I can put up with more than maybe once every couple years.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc