52%

Total votes: 25

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: A Satisfying Poll

Post by Flex »

BitterTom wrote:
21 Sep 2022, 12:27pm
Original is overplayed, overrated and mediocre Stones for me. Haven't heard the Devo version before but really enjoyed what they did with it so it gets my vote.
TOM'S BACK AND HE'S BACK BIG
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

A rare cleaving within the Tomston Alliance. I guess Lizzie was holding it together, too.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

When I saw the Stones in 2012, I skipped Satisfaction at the end to catch an early train. Zero regrets. Never really did much for me. I don't think I've heard the DEVO version before. I certainly admire a radical rework approach. The bass is very good (as is the bass on the original, I forgot until relisten) and the beat is cool. It has a hint of irony which I'm not crazy about, but it's generally spirited and I admire that. That being said, both songs are like 2 1/2 minutes long but feel like five minutes long because the chords are so damn repetitive.

I guess I'm not crazy about either, but maybe lean towards DEVO. Edit, Stones probably levels the playing field since they are the creators. So I'll abstain.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
21 Sep 2022, 1:01pm
When I saw the Stones in 2012, I skipped Satisfaction at the end to catch an early train. Zero regrets. Never really did much for me. I don't think I've heard the DEVO version before. I certainly admire a radical rework approach. The bass is very good (as is the bass on the original, I forgot until relisten) and the beat is cool. It has a hint of irony which I'm not crazy about, but it's generally spirited and I admire that. That being said, both songs are like 2 1/2 minutes long but feel like five minutes long because the chords are so damn repetitive.

I guess I'm not crazy about either, but maybe lean towards DEVO. Edit, Stones probably levels the playing field since they are the creators. So I'll abstain.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:
21 Sep 2022, 1:01pm

Just keeping up the theme.

Addendum: actually this one's better

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Hoy wrote:Image

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

apparently I cast the 11th vote, making it 6 for Devo and 5 for the Stones. While the Stones' version is pretty great, that riff does kick ass, I prefer the Devo version if I had to choose which one to hear randomly. The sort of mechanical sound of their version of the riff is great and I like the spoken lyric cadence a lot too.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The score is tied, but Devo's got the cool kids. As it should be. :shifty:

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Isn't the Devo song in that movie with Sting.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

I believe "Heroes" plays over the opening credits. First time I heard "Sweet Gene Vincent", too. Is it called "Radio On"?
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

The song doesn't satisfy me at all. :shifty: It's pretty basic, but I'm going with the Stones on this one. Now, if you know how I feel about the Stones, you'll be confused. I think, at the time it came out and they were on the Ed Sullivan show, I imagine that song was a powerhouse and I don't think you can top a moment like that. The Devo version isn't bad at all, though.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

BitterTom wrote:
21 Sep 2022, 12:27pm
Original is overplayed, overrated and mediocre Stones for me. Haven't heard the Devo version before but really enjoyed what they did with it so it gets my vote.
TOM!

Back and wronger than usual.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
21 Sep 2022, 9:45am
Stones

Despite the over familiarity it is still a deadly riff and great lyric.
This. And I love the Devo version. They are both great for different reasons.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Stones starting to pull away a little bit.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

WestwayKid wrote:
21 Sep 2022, 5:29pm
Stones starting to pull away a little bit.
I like Devo but common sense will prevail.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board