gkbill wrote:
03 Nov 2022, 9:06am
Marky Dread wrote:
03 Nov 2022, 12:24am
Heston wrote:
02 Nov 2022, 7:28pm
Flex wrote:
02 Nov 2022, 2:55pm
Duck Rock came out in '83 so I'm pretty sure Heston would be fine concluding the history of hip hop right there.
Well yeah. It had peaked.
C'mon guys stop it. All this scratchin' is making me itch!
Hello,

I'll get my coat.........'round the outside.
Listen gk don't forget to do-si-do your partner.

I really like Duck Rock, I think it hangs together very well. The radio show dialogue helps.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Re: January 1st 1983

Post by laxman »

A new mix from Joe Swinford. Well worth a listen.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
03 Nov 2022, 4:33pm

You better have checked all the tracks are post '82.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Marky Dread wrote:
03 Nov 2022, 4:52pm
laxman wrote:

Playing the odds, must be a 70% chance with each track!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
03 Nov 2022, 5:06pm
Marky Dread wrote:
laxman wrote:

No good man. It's a 100% or nothing.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Marky Dread wrote:
03 Nov 2022, 5:14pm
laxman wrote:
03 Nov 2022, 5:06pm
Marky Dread wrote:
laxman wrote:

No good man. It's a 100% or nothing.
Damn. First one I checked was the Slits, I heard it through the grapevine. A very early 80s release. 1979 in fact!

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Silent Majority wrote:
03 Nov 2022, 10:54am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Nov 2022, 4:46pm
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2022, 4:29pm
Low Down Low wrote:
02 Nov 2022, 4:25pm
Could this qualify as rap or hip hop in any way?

I would personally say it's more in the vein of Doo Wop.
Yeah, kind of a transition between gospel and doo wop.
It is the same flow as Rappers Delight, if a blues song at root.
Yeah, i guess they were a straight up Gospel Blues outfit but there's quite a bit of variation and experimentation in their vocal style so it might not be surprising to see small glimpses of future styles in their work. I say were, but i think Golden Gate Quartet might actually still be on the go in some or other guise!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
03 Nov 2022, 3:52pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Nov 2022, 1:45pm
Silent Majority wrote:
03 Nov 2022, 10:55am
The rhythm and rhyming of the best MCs, the cadence, the flow, the lyrics are so very clever once you tune your ears to it (and do some terrible attempts at rapping of your own)
A couple days ago, I did my origins of hip hop lecture and explained, after showing a clip of “Rapper’s Delight,” that originally I quoted some of the lyrics, which was traumatic and embarrassing for me and the students. Afterwards, a student asked me if I could nevertheless do some for them. “Could I? No. Will I? No.” As Dirty Harry said, a man’s gotta know his limitations.
Dirty Medulla "In all this excitement did I fire off six rhymes or only five?".
:lol: Medulla actually wonders, "After this performance, is there one round left that I can use on myself?"
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Nov 2022, 6:21pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
The rhythm and rhyming of the best MCs, the cadence, the flow, the lyrics are so very clever once you tune your ears to it (and do some terrible attempts at rapping of your own)
A couple days ago, I did my origins of hip hop lecture and explained, after showing a clip of “Rapper’s Delight,” that originally I quoted some of the lyrics, which was traumatic and embarrassing for me and the students. Afterwards, a student asked me if I could nevertheless do some for them. “Could I? No. Will I? No.” As Dirty Harry said, a man’s gotta know his limitations.
:lol: Medulla actually wonders, "After this performance, is there one round left that I can use on myself?"
I would like to see your rap sheet. I think you just made a criminal record. 🤣

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
03 Nov 2022, 6:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Nov 2022, 6:21pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
I would like to see your rap sheet. I think you just made a criminal record. 🤣
The dub version is superior. :disshame:

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
I remember when I was at secondary school, a rough inner city one filled with a lot of kids that the world didn't have a lot of hope for, a local parish priest came in to speak to us. His way of getting us to identify with him was to start things off with a boombox playing Where Is the Love? by the Black Eyed Peas, a song that was about two years old at that point, so a cobweb covered classic as far as the audience of up to the minute grime and garage fans were concerned. As the long intro boomed through the assembly hall and the middle aged man stood silently and awkwardly in front of us, I panicked and clenched my shoulders, certain he was about to start spitting bars. Happily, the actual vocals kicked in. I don't remember if he let the whole track play, but he then went on to say something like "And that's the issue of the world today, isn't it? Where is the love?" and preached in a well meaning fashion at us for twenty minutes before never being seen again.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
04 Nov 2022, 12:25pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
I remember when I was at secondary school, a rough inner city one filled with a lot of kids that the world didn't have a lot of hope for, a local parish priest came in to speak to us. His way of getting us to identify with him was to start things off with a boombox playing Where Is the Love? by the Black Eyed Peas, a song that was about two years old at that point, so a cobweb covered classic as far as the audience of up to the minute grime and garage fans were concerned. As the long intro boomed through the assembly hall and the middle aged man stood silently and awkwardly in front of us, I panicked and clenched my shoulders, certain he was about to start spitting bars. Happily, the actual vocals kicked in. I don't remember if he let the whole track play, but he then went on to say something like "And that's the issue of the world today, isn't it? Where is the love?" and preached in a well meaning fashion at us for twenty minutes before never being seen again.
I have visions of a mob of teenagers swarming this guy like a wave, his arms flailing before being swallowed alive.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Silent Majority wrote:
04 Nov 2022, 12:25pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
My toes are curling so much I've put my Aladdin slippers on.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Low Down Low wrote:
02 Nov 2022, 9:07am
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2022, 7:50am
Low Down Low wrote:
02 Nov 2022, 7:27am
Love the Joboxers. A few personal favs from '83:

Orange Juice - Rip It Up
Yazoo - Nobody's Diary
Robert Wyatt - Shipbuilding
Blancmange - Waves
Flash and the Pan - Waiting on a Train
Joan Armatrading - Drop the Pilot

Personally, I'd put the "year the music died" a good bit later, or the year I just lost interest in chart music. Fact is U2 were still half decent in 1983 and much as I tried, i just couldn't hate the Wham! Rap.
"Rip It Up" and "Shipbuilding" are fantastic! I still have that fold-out tri sleeve 7" of "Shipbuilding .
Definitely my pick of the bunch. One of Elvis' very best for me and while Wyatts vocals are a bit quirky, i think they really suit that song. And if there's a genre called "pure pop", then Rip it Up is the apogee for me. Every note, every vocal twitch is a sheer sonic delight.
I agree with your comments on both songs, but would like to add that during 'Rip It Up,' Edwyn sings, "And my favourite song's entitled 'Boredom,'" which is followed by a one-note guitar solo is brilliant. Almost sampling without a sample.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

dave202 wrote:
09 Nov 2022, 12:07pm
Low Down Low wrote:
02 Nov 2022, 9:07am
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2022, 7:50am
Low Down Low wrote:
02 Nov 2022, 7:27am
Love the Joboxers. A few personal favs from '83:

Orange Juice - Rip It Up
Yazoo - Nobody's Diary
Robert Wyatt - Shipbuilding
Blancmange - Waves
Flash and the Pan - Waiting on a Train
Joan Armatrading - Drop the Pilot

Personally, I'd put the "year the music died" a good bit later, or the year I just lost interest in chart music. Fact is U2 were still half decent in 1983 and much as I tried, i just couldn't hate the Wham! Rap.
"Rip It Up" and "Shipbuilding" are fantastic! I still have that fold-out tri sleeve 7" of "Shipbuilding .
Definitely my pick of the bunch. One of Elvis' very best for me and while Wyatts vocals are a bit quirky, i think they really suit that song. And if there's a genre called "pure pop", then Rip it Up is the apogee for me. Every note, every vocal twitch is a sheer sonic delight.
I agree with your comments on both songs, but would like to add that during 'Rip It Up,' Edwyn sings, "And my favourite song's entitled 'Boredom,'" which is followed by a one-note guitar solo is brilliant. Almost sampling without a sample.
Always loved that nod.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia