Flex's Ultimate 25 Days of Christmas (Songs) World Cup: NOMINATIONS AND QUALIFIERS

General music discussion.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: Flex's Ultimate 25 Days of Christmas (Songs) World Cup: NOMINATIONS AND QUALIFIERS

Post by WestwayKid »

Here's my second pick - a little Stax Christmas.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: Flex's Ultimate 25 Days of Christmas (Songs) World Cup: NOMINATIONS AND QUALIFIERS

Post by Flex »

Okay, submitting my own picks in the closing moments (and if anyone still wants to participate, get your picks in this evening. I'm gonna extend the nomination window a couple more hours since I won't be able to sit in front of a computer and get everything organized until tomorrow)

David Bowie/Bing Crosby - Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy

Darlene Love - Christmas Baby Please Come Home

I'll edit this post with a YouTube vids and few thoughts on each.

Addendum: oh, and I'll second any nominations that still need it. It was really just a way to generate a little more initial activity. Stay tuned for the group stage tomorrow!
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Flex

Post by Flex »

Alrighty, closing down nominations. I've made a few editorial decisions that I'll explain tomorrow but everyone's offerings and suggestions are included. Starting tomorrow each round (group, round of 16, quarters, semis, finals) will run 4-5ish days until Christmas. Cheers!

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Gonna get me some Proud Boys and Oath Keepers to make sure this ain't stolen …
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

For the record, here's the final list of nominations. Groups up shortly.

Greg Lake - I Believe In Father Christmas
Cocteau Twins, "Frosty the Snowman"
The Drifters - White Christmas
Peter and the test tube babies - I'm getting pissed for Xmas
Ramones - Merry Christmas (I Don't Want to Fight Tonight)
José Feliciano - Feliz Navidad
Marlene Dietrich - Still war die Nacht
James Brown - Santa Claus go Straight to the Ghetto
The Beach Boys - Little Saint Nick
The Beatles - Christmas Time (Is Here Again)
Tom Waits - Silent Night
David Bowie/Bing Crosby - Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy
Jona Lewie - Stop the Cavalry
Tracey Thorn, "Sister Winter"
Annie Lennox - In the bleak midwinter
Phil and Eddie - 12 days of Christmas
Joey Ramone - Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)
The Replacements - Bundle Up (Demo)
The Pogues - Fairytale of New York
The Kinks - Father Christmas
The Waitresses - Christmas Wrapping
Captain Sensible - One Christmas Catalogue
Otis Redding - Merry Christmas Baby
Darlene Love - Christmas Baby Please Come Home

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I shouldn’t have to say this, people, but never forget: Don’t let Heston win.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

By the way, if we end up with some ties at the end of this round of voting we'll stick a round of run-offs over the weekend/next Monday (to give weekday-only IMCTers a chance to vote). It'll shorten the voting periods for subsequent rounds a little but I think by the last couple rounds that won't be a big deal. These polling exercises always lose interest round to round and we'll all be plenty familiar with the choices by then.

Pex Lives!

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Dec 2022, 12:58pm
I can hear the fear in your writing.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
08 Dec 2022, 1:49pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Dec 2022, 12:58pm
I can hear the fear in your writing.
I always fear for a world that grows a little darker.

Flex

Post by Flex »

I'm using this thread for general programming notes just so it doesn't clutter up any of the individual polls. Just to look ahead, the round of 17 will continue until Thursday evening (mountain time) and I WILL have a the next round of polls up that night. That round - the quarterfinals - will unfortunately really need to just run late Thursday night through Sunday. Sorry, I know a lot of folks don't check into IMCT on the weekend but with the (superfluous, it turns out) PK round I had to trim some days I'd anticipated giving to the next rounds.

From there the semi-finals will be the late evening of the 18th-21st and then we'll have the finals take place from the late evening of the 21st-24th (Christmas Eve, duh). And then we'll crown our champion on December 25th, Christmas. So make sure to check in at least a few times between now and the big day! Lots of voting (and complaining) to do!

Also, as mentioned in the Round of 17 threads, I structured this by seeding top vote getters vs least vote getters from the last round. So on the one hand a few matchups may seem lopsided but, also, some really GREAT chances to do some king-slaying if you anyone wants to try to champion an underdog and make a persuasive case. That is to say: I encourage discussion, arguments and persuasion in the matchup threads!

Pex Lives!

Flex

Post by Flex »

Hey folks, latest update: the quarterfinals will run until a few minutes past 10:30pm mountain time on Sunday, December 18th. So, get voting. Again, sincere apologies for having a vote end on a weekend, but the lord baby jesus waits for no poll, so here we are. Honestly, there are some pretty good match-ups this round, I'm real curious how it will go.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

This is kind of our Christmas music thread this year, I think, so I'll just place this here: https://thehardtimes.net/culture/christ ... ntil-noon/

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Dec 2022, 8:09am
This is kind of our Christmas music thread this year, I think, so I'll just place this here: https://thehardtimes.net/culture/christ ... ntil-noon/
...I got some news for you punk, until Pantera releases a Christmas album there will never be good Christmas music,” said Track McTuggert...

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Dec 2022, 8:09am
This Santa knows what's up

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://www.nme.com/news/music/couple-r ... in-3372165

There are still good people out there.