Flex's Ultimate 25 Days of Christmas (Songs) World Cup: NOMINATIONS AND QUALIFIERS

General music discussion.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Flex's Ultimate 25 Days of Christmas (Songs) World Cup: NOMINATIONS AND QUALIFIERS

Post by Flex »

That's right folks!

Last year I think I only got through about 1/2 the month of my usual Christmas song advent calendar type thread, and there's no chance I have the time to do a daily share again this year. BUT, I want to do something fun and, well, there's a big tournament on your teevee right now so why not have one here on the boards?

This will be a similar format as our other tournaments: we'll do an initial group round and then a few rounds of knockouts. My goal is to have a declared winner on December 25th (that's Christmas, for you keeping track at home). I honestly have to see how many nominations for songs we get before I map out exactly how many rounds we'll need and the number of days of voting I can allow to finish by Christmas, so that's some exciting planning ahead for me!

Anyways, let's start with nominations. Only a few ground rules:

1. Any holiday song counts (I'm an American so I count songs that cover major seasonal holidays after, not including, Thanksgiving and going through New Year's Day). "Wintery" songs can count, think Frosty the Snowman or whatever, the standards here are going to be very broad. Christmas, Chanukah, New Year's, some holiday I'm not familiar with, whatever. We take all comers here. If something really seems too far afield I'll make a unilateral decision on if the song can be included.

2. You can nominate up to TWO songs. I want to encourage people to feel free to nominate whatever "classic" they like without feeling like they're wasting a pick on something that they're confident someone else would nominate and miss the chance to share some fun obscurity they want to advocate for.

3. To make it past the nomination stage, someone MUST second the nomination. There are no limits to the number of songs a person can second, this is Christmas after all. So someone can play Santa and second a bunch of nominations if they like and that's all good 'round here. This is really just to keep out anything we all really and truly despise that Heston may nominate.

4. Participants are encouraged to include a link/video to the song they're nominating and to write a little about their nomination. Anyone who actually takes the time to make a case for their selection(s) will get the advantage of having me reshare those cases in future rounds. A little edge that may make a difference!

I will be accepting nominations until MONDAY DECEMBER 5TH 5:00 PM MOUNTAIN TIME. On the 6th, the group stage will begin and I'll hopefully have mathed out how long each round will last at that point.

Ho ho ho! Happy holidays everyone! Let's engage in some divisive arguments about Christmas music for the season!
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Flex's Ultimate 25 Days of Christmas (Songs) World Cup: NOMINATIONS AND QUALIFIERS

Post by Heston »

Greg Lake - I Believe In Father Christmas (just breathtaking)

Jona Lewie - Stop the Cavalry (that brass band is just marvellous)
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Flex's Ultimate 25 Days of Christmas (Songs) World Cup: NOMINATIONS AND QUALIFIERS

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I hereby announce my futility:
Cocteau Twins, "Frosty the Snowman"
It shouldn't work—way too silly a song—but it's the Cocteaus and Elizabeth Fraser is the voice of god.

Tracey Thorn, "Sister Winter"
Achingly beautiful melancholy about atonement and forgiveness. In its own way, it feels spiritual to me. If your heart doesn't tighten a little, you might be a monster.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Nothing left field from me, as a committed traditionalist I'll nominate what stand out for me as two of the all time xmas greats that will stand the test of time for aeons to come.

1. The Drifters - White Christmas

2. In the bleak midwinter - so many fine versions of this haunting piece, including some great brass and instrumental arrangements, but I'll go for the Annie Lennox vocal one. I think she does this type of thing really well.

Oh, and I'll definitely second Heston choices. The traditionalist in me heartily approves of both.

motorsmell
Junco Partner

Post by motorsmell »

Peter and the test tube babies - I'm getting pissed for Xmas

An often overlooked masterpiece

Phil and Eddie - 12 days of Christmas

A more traditional approach and what an angelic performance from little Philthy. (The whole album is a stroke of festive genius if I'm honest)

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

motorsmell wrote:
02 Dec 2022, 5:51am

A more traditional approach and what an angelic performance from little Philthy. (The whole album is a stroke of festive genius if I'm honest)
I'm kind of bummed I'm only just now hearing about the Phil and Eddie album.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Dec 2022, 8:38pm
It shouldn't work—way too silly a song—but it's the Cocteaus and Elizabeth Fraser is the voice of god.

Achingly beautiful melancholy about atonement and forgiveness. In its own way, it feels spiritual to me. If your heart doesn't tighten a little, you might be a monster.
I second these nominations. Doc doesn't hate music so much after all.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Olaf wrote:
02 Dec 2022, 11:08am
Doc doesn't hate music so much after all.
You take that back! I vouched for you!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Olaf wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Where's that long rumored SWANS Xmas album?

motorsmell
Junco Partner

Post by motorsmell »

revbob wrote:
02 Dec 2022, 8:53am
motorsmell wrote:
02 Dec 2022, 5:51am

I'm kind of bummed I'm only just now hearing about the Phil and Eddie album.
It's fucking excellent! I can strongly recommend finding a copy!

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

revbob wrote:
02 Dec 2022, 11:31am
Olaf wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Where's that long rumored SWANS Xmas album?
Can't wait for their version of "Ihr Kinderlein kommet."
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I was going to avoid this because I know it will somehow devolve into Slade or Greg Lake winning despite being far from the best or even great.

But in the spirit of something here I go.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

revbob wrote:
02 Dec 2022, 1:32pm
I was going to avoid this because I know it will somehow devolve into Slade or Greg Lake winning despite being far from the best or even great.

KIhIBFPtnoc

Cmzn8JfV_fk
Great picks. A heavy hitter and a compelling cover of a heavy hitter. I'll second these nominations.

Remember folks, no limit to seconding nominations, but the songs need 'em! By my count, Heston, Low Down Low and motorsmell's offerings need to be seconded still. And, of course, the more song nominations the better so don't be shy.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
02 Dec 2022, 4:57pm
revbob wrote:
02 Dec 2022, 1:32pm

KIhIBFPtnoc

Cmzn8JfV_fk
Great picks. A heavy hitter and a compelling cover of a heavy hitter. I'll second these nominations.

Remember folks, no limit to seconding nominations, but the songs need 'em! By my count, Heston, Low Down Low and motorsmell's offerings need to be seconded still. And, of course, the more song nominations the better so don't be shy.
I second Motorsmell's. "I'm Getting Pissed for Christmas" has been a staple of my Xmas play list for like 15 years

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

José Feliciano - Feliz Navidad
The only Christmas song I'm never sick of hearing
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps