Greg Lake - I Believe in Father Christmas
18%
Cocteau Twins - Frosty The Snowman
12%
The Drifters - White Christmas
18%
Peter and The Test Tube Babies - I'm Getting Pissed For Christmas
6%
Ramones - Merry Christmas (I Don't Want To Fight Tonight)
30%
José Feliciano - Feliz Navidad
16%

Total votes: 50

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Flex's Ultimate 25 Days of Christmas (Songs) World Cup: Group A

Post by Flex »

Here it is folks. The group stages. Excitement. Mayhem. A great chance for some giant-slaying. Out of our 24 song nominations* 16 will go on to fight another day. For the group stage we'll have 4 groups of 6 songs, with the bottom two songs in each group getting eliminated. I've tried to group them so no one has both their nominations in the same group. I'll include music videos and any comments that were provided with the initial nomination in this post below.

Because voting for stuff is fun, each person gets FOUR votes - four get to move on after all - so use them wisely. Voting will continue until the morning (in the United States, anyway) of Saturday, December 10th. Anticipate the Round of 16 polls going up that same day.

*For those keeping close track, I included all FOUR of revbob's suggestions - the scamp - and also LDL's suggestion of Tom Waits' Silent Night so we could have an even number of songs when all was said and done.

Group A

Greg Lake - I Believe in Father Christmas (nominated by Heston)

"Just breathtaking."

Cocteau Twins - Frosty The Snowman (nominated by Dr. Medulla)

"It shouldn't work—way too silly a song—but it's the Cocteaus and Elizabeth Fraser is the voice of god."

The Drifters - White Christmas (nominated by Low Down Low)

Peter and The Test Tube Babies - I'm Getting Pissed For Christmas (nominated by motorsmell)

"An often overlooked masterpiece"

Ramones - Merry Christmas (I Don't Want To Fight Tonight) (nominated by revbob)

José Feliciano - Feliz Navidad (nominated by oliver)

"The only Christmas song I'm never sick of hearing"
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Flex

Re: Flex's Ultimate 25 Days of Christmas (Songs) World Cup: Group A

Post by Flex »

Whoops, just realized the last option - Feliz Navidad - didn't make it onto the poll. Apologies! Looks like we had one voter so far, so make sure to re-vote! Also, as a reminder, you can vote for up to four picks if you like (or you can be all strategic-like and just for your top pick or whatever).

Pex Lives!

Flex

Post by Flex »

Okay, I'll do a run-through with my votes and thoughts on each track.

-Greg Lake - I Believe in Father Christmas

The first of what I consider two "IMCT advocacy" songs in this group. Heston has been extolling the virtues of this song on here for years, and I suppose it's caught on a bit for me as I find it a fine enough listen. Definitely something of an Atlantic Ocean divide though, as I don't think I've ever heard this song outside of IMCT. The affliction this song has is the affliction most prog has for me: I don't care too much for the synths or the bombast, done in the style that it is. I don't really think that's the fault of the song, per se, but by design and aesthetic it will probably never grab me. I'd say it's to Heston's credit that I enjoy, rather than dislike, this song at this point though. This will be one of my two no-votes.

-Cocteau Twins - Frosty The Snowman

The other "IMCT advocacy" song in this group, this time from Doc. The background Doc has provided in the past that Elizabeth Fraser was unfamiliar with the song and found the story unsettling gives this performance quite a bit of charm and intrigue. I'm not an Everyday Cocteaus kind of guy, but I'll admit I always find them engrossing when I'm in the mood. As an entry in this list of "seasonal song, but not really holiday song" I find the dreamlike energy in this a perfect fit. This one will get a move ahead vote from me.

-The Drifters - White Christmas

An ultra classic version of the ur-christmas song. The Drifters take this chesnut and really make it their own. A distinctive sound that is used in icomic moments in Christmas movies, on countless compilations and it still sounds fresh and exciting. A hearty yes vote from me.

Weirdly, I may not have heard this original version of this song before. I'm familiar with it from a psychobilly cover from the Psychobilly Christmas compilation put out a few years ago. I always thought this was one of the stronger tracks from the collection, and now I know that's because it's really a Peter and the Test Tube Babies song! Funny. Anyways, this is a track that for me probably just suffers from being in such a strong group. I'd vote to advance it against a lot of other competition but there happen to be four songs in this group that I have very strong allegiance to. So, quite begrudgingly, this one will get a no vote from me.

-Ramones - Merry Christmas (I Don't Want To Fight Tonight)

This one may have the juice to reach the finals. The ultimate punk rock Christmas song. Of course I'm voting for it.

-José Feliciano - Feliz Navidad

I agree with oliver's assessment of this track, one I never tire of. It's featured in 1978's Christmas Eve on Sesame Street (but you need a DVD of the special, the tightfisted bastards at HBO Max cut it from the streaming version so they don't have to pay royalties on the song!) which is probably where I first encountered it at a young age. A brilliant, jubilant tune quite worthy of a YES vote to continue.

Great tracks, even the Greg Lake song is a fine song that I'd be happy to have on a playlist (in fact, I've made one of all these picks).

Pex Lives!

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Will do one group per night. This was a proper toughie to begin with as really enjoyed all 6 in their different ways. Sorry to leave out Peter & the Test Tube Babies and Jose Feliciano in the end, was with a heavy heart, particularly the latter. Hadn't heard that Cocteau Twins version before and just really liked it and felt compelled to toss it a vote.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
06 Dec 2022, 6:55pm
Great tracks, even the Greg Lake song is a fine song that I'd be happy to have on a playlist (in fact, I've made one of all these picks).
When did you get in Heston's payroll?

Flex

Post by Flex »

revbob wrote:
06 Dec 2022, 8:22pm
Flex wrote:
Season of generosity, etc.

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:

Weirdly, I may not have heard this original version of this song before. I'm familiar with it from a psychobilly cover from the Psychobilly Christmas compilation put out a few years ago. I always thought this was one of the stronger tracks from the collection, and now I know that's because it's really a Peter and the Test Tube Babies song! Funny. Anyways, this is a track that for me probably just suffers from being in such a strong group. I'd vote to advance it against a lot of other competition but there happen to be four songs in this group that I have very strong allegiance to. So, quite begrudgingly, this one will get a no vote from me.
The fuck???? Turn in your punk card, your extra baggy pants and your backwards baseball cap.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
06 Dec 2022, 8:22pm
Flex wrote:
The man knows the value of a free sealed pancake.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

revbob wrote:
06 Dec 2022, 8:25pm
Flex wrote:

The fuck???? Turn in your punk card, your extra baggy pants and your backwards baseball cap.
Apologies for liking more than one genre of music.

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
06 Dec 2022, 8:52pm
revbob wrote:
06 Dec 2022, 8:25pm
Flex wrote:

Apologies for liking more than one genre of music.

motorsmell
Junco Partner

Post by motorsmell »

Peters all day long!

Flex

Post by Flex »

Congrats to the following songs, which all advance!

-Ramones - Merry Christmas (I Don't Want To Fight Tonight) (nominated by revbob) 15 votes
-Greg Lake - I Believe in Father Christmas (nominated by Heston) 9 votes
-The Drifters - White Christmas (nominated by Low Down Low) 9 votes
-José Feliciano - Feliz Navidad (nominated by oliver) 8 votes

Pex Lives!