You Fucked Up the Easiest Part: The Terrible Band Names Thread

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: You Fucked Up the Easiest Part: The Terrible Band Names Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Nirvana is a pretty stupid name given the kind of music they played. It doesn't even work as stereotypical Xer irony. Generally speaking, grunge didn't produce many good band names, but Nirvana is especially tepid.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 9:20am
Nirvana is a pretty stupid name given the kind of music they played. It doesn't even work as stereotypical Xer irony. Generally speaking, grunge didn't produce many good band names, but Nirvana is especially tepid.
I don't feel particularly strongly about the name Nirvana, but what I hated was the grunge/post-grunge insistence on monosyllabic names - Hole, Bush, Live, Paw, Sponge, Creed.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

matedog wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 12:07pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I don't feel particularly strongly about the name Nirvana, but what I hated was the grunge/post-grunge insistence on monosyllabic names - Hole, Bush, Live, Paw, Sponge, Creed.
Out of that list, I’ve always thought “Live” was a particularly weak name. Is it Live, rhymes with jive? Or Live, rhymes with Viv? I don’t even know to be honest. Is it just a lame joke for a marquee sign?: “Tonight – Come and See Live Live at 8pm”. Way too limited a joke to use it as a band name. And “Paw” is too simple. It needs something else, something like Monkey Paw, or Bad Dog & the Muddy Paws, or Paws Off, or Raw Paw Tato (named after a fictional heavyweight boxer).

Also, I agree with Doc that "Nirvana" doesn't really fit the music, and tepid is a good description. It's not especially awful as a name, but maybe just a poor fit for the band.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Title always reminds me of this band name:

Not saying it's a terrible band name, I actually vacillate between it's good/terrible.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 12:38pm
Out of that list, I’ve always thought “Live” was a particularly weak name. Is it Live, rhymes with jive? Or Live, rhymes with Viv? I don’t even know to be honest. Is it just a lame joke for a marquee sign?: “Tonight – Come and See Live Live at 8pm”. Way too limited a joke to use it as a band name.
Somewhat akin to The Who. Yeah, okay, kind of amusing the first few times, but then working the gag over and over in album names. Just stop it or you'll slowly kill your rhythm section, 'kay?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Jan 2023, 9:03am
Marky Dread wrote:
15 Jan 2023, 7:23am
Jimmy the Hoover. That name really sucks.
Hooverphonic is a pretty lame effort.
They got fucked out of their original name because of copyright issues, I think. The original ("Hoover," as you might imagine) wasn't good either.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 3:13pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Jan 2023, 9:03am
Marky Dread wrote:
15 Jan 2023, 7:23am
Jimmy the Hoover. That name really sucks.
Hooverphonic is a pretty lame effort.
They got fucked out of their original name because of copyright issues, I think. The original ("Hoover," as you might imagine) wasn't good either.
Ah, like Kleenex.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 2:30pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
Out of that list, I’ve always thought “Live” was a particularly weak name. Is it Live, rhymes with jive? Or Live, rhymes with Viv? I don’t even know to be honest. Is it just a lame joke for a marquee sign?: “Tonight – Come and See Live Live at 8pm”. Way too limited a joke to use it as a band name.
Somewhat akin to The Who. Yeah, okay, kind of amusing the first few times, but then working the gag over and over in album names. Just stop it or you'll slowly kill your rhythm section, 'kay?
I much prefer the band that played Al Bundy's high school reunion, The Why?
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
How about The Guess Who?
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
18 Jan 2023, 1:56pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
How about The Guess Who?
Even worse because they worked the same joke even after it should have been over.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 12:07pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I quite liked that Sponge song, "Wax Ecstatic."
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

NoFX