Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: Greatest (Favorite) Live Album

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 12:46pm
Sparky wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 11:41am
The Replacements For Sale: Live At Maxwell's 1986

This one circulated as an unauthorized bootleg "Murder At The Maxwell" before being officially released as "For Sale: Live At Maxwell's 1986". For me this captures the band at their best, a few covers and finished most of their songs.

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/th ... ells-1986/

"And finished most of their songs"

Well done chaps, absolutely fantastic.
Pretty recent release, but that one got a lot of play out of me and turned me on to some of their songs I hadn't yet appreciated.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

I'm going to be pretty basic and vote for Cheap Trick Live at Budokan. But I also love this:
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

matedog

Post by matedog »

JennyB wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 2:17pm
I'm going to be pretty basic and vote for Cheap Trick Live at Budokan.
Budokan is obvious, but I think one important factor is if the live album recontextualizes or some how alters your view of the original/studio material and I think Budokan is a great example of that. The studio version of I Want You... is obsolete after Budokan.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 1:31pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 1:27pm
Flex wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 1:12pm
A half finished replacements song is almost invariably better than whatever turd KISSINC. decided to polish on a given day.
Does KISS polish their turds? I think they just slap the logo and, most importantly, a price sticker to the turds.
They mime along to a turd backing track
If Heston posted more in his KISS thread, we could confine these observations to there.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 2:23pm
JennyB wrote:
Budokan is obvious, but I think one important factor is if the live album recontextualizes or some how alters your view of the original/studio material and I think Budokan is a great example of that. The studio version of I Want You... is obsolete after Budokan.
To the degree that you *never* hear the studio version anywhere. It's almost been Orwelled out of existence.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 2:27pm
matedog wrote:
JennyB wrote:
To the degree that you *never* hear the studio version anywhere. It's almost been Orwelled out of existence.
Interestingly, the studio version is the second most listened to Cheap Trick song on Spotify. Budokan version is the fifth most.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

matedog wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Yep. Exactly.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 2:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Interestingly, the studio version is the second most listened to Cheap Trick song on Spotify. Budokan version is the fifth most.
I would have lost the farm on that bet. I can't believe that at all.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 2:47pm
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
JennyB wrote:
The downside of streaming - everyone has access to everything without much guidance.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

matedog wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 2:49pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 2:47pm
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:

The downside of streaming - everyone has access to everything without much guidance.
Hello,

I wonder how many stream the studio version thinking it's the live version.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 9:16am
Everything mentioned except Kiss so far is exceptional. I've been trying to think of truly "contender for the throne" type punk live albums, this one comes to mind:
It's great but Johhny overdubbed it in the studio.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Don't know about greatest but I like these two.
Attachments
20230321_225205.jpg
20230321_225323.jpg
20230321_225323.jpg (165.82 KiB) Viewed 886 times

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Marky Dread wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 6:47pm
Flex wrote:
Everything mentioned except Kiss so far is exceptional. I've been trying to think of truly "contender for the throne" type punk live albums, this one comes to mind:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... _cover.jpg
I think a lot of the live albums mentioned have at least some overdubbing. This one maybe moreso. I guess a question is whether a live album needs to be totally unsweetened in the studio to rate highly.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 7:08pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Flex wrote:
I think a lot of the live albums mentioned have at least some overdubbing. This one maybe moreso. I guess a question is whether a live album needs to be totally unsweetened in the studio to rate highly.
So many things can and probably do go wrong during a live show its probably hard for most musicians to let that go on record.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 7:23pm
Flex wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 7:08pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Flex wrote:
So many things can and probably do go wrong during a live show its probably hard for most musicians to let that go on record.
In the golden era of the bootleg—the 70s—that was a big reason why bands didn't like bootlegs. It was less the idea of lost money, but being exposed as less than perfect, as studio records appeared to show.