50%
The Beatles, "She Loves You"
50%

Total votes: 22

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

DC5 vs. The Beatles

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inspired by Heston's latest KISS poll thrashing, I offer up what I think is the Dave Clark Five's best single, "Any Way You Want It," and put it against The Beatles' "She Loves You," which, when we did that Beatles elimination contest, was our top Beatlemania pick. The Beatles should win this, but I'm curious how much support DC5 get.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: DC5 vs. The Beatles

Post by Heston »

I love both versions of Anyway You Want It but She Loves You is on another level. Still a big thrill when I hear it after god knows how many times.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

Strange AWYWI only made 25 in the UK. I have NEVER heard it on the radio here.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
09 May 2023, 2:24pm
Wow. That was the very first DC5 song I ever heard—I was a kid and inherited my older sisters' collection of early 1960s 45's—and it captured my imagination right away.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 May 2023, 2:26pm
Heston wrote:
Wow. That was the very first DC5 song I ever heard—I was a kid and inherited my older sisters' collection of early 1960s 45's—and it captured my imagination right away.
Do You Love Me (which is a radio staple over here) only made #30. I'm shocked by that one, thought it was a smash.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

This is a bit more tricky than the Stones v KISS battle. As both of these are fine songs. I've heard The Beatles track ad infinitum but only heard the DC5 track a couple of times so I'm way less familiar with it.

Musically The Beatles track is great but I'm never much impressed by their early pop lyrics until we get to "Ticket to Ride" which turns the happy go lucky vibe on it's head.

The DC5 track is fun and way more stomping than "She Loves You" so it's getting my vote.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
09 May 2023, 2:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 May 2023, 2:26pm
Heston wrote:
Do You Love Me (which is a radio staple over here) only made #30. I'm shocked by that one, thought it was a smash.
It's always a shock to look at the charts when all these amazing rock n roll songs were being produced, and then there's all this dreck cluttering things up. I like to tell students that while the Beatles and Stones and Who were blowing things up, the number one album in the UK from 1964 to 1967 in terms of sales was the The Sound of Music.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Funny that KISS version of AWYWI has that famous DC5 drum roll in it, but it's missing from the DC5 version.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

As others have said, both are really good songs, but I have to throw my vote to DC5, rocking, fun song.

Fun fact for Heston, because we all know he holds the Mats in high esteem:

The Replacements, who were known for covering a wide variety of other people songs, played this one back in 1991 at the Boardwalk in Manchester and did a pretty admirable job at it as well, can't find it on YouTube to share here, but I've got a live copy of the show.

https://mega.nz/file/Td9izDTD#T7FzTgQ4H ... VIVsadBO9M
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I like DC5, and this is a fine, fine song, but it's a little muddled in both production and performance. If you play it first and then the initial energetic, sharp blast of "She Loves You" hits you in the ears afterward, it's no contest, really.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
09 May 2023, 3:26pm
I like DC5, and this is a fine, fine song, but it's a little muddled in both production and performance. If you play it first and then the initial energetic, sharp blast of "She Loves You" hits you in the ears afterward, it's no contest, really.
Oddly, that's one of AWYWI's strengths to me—it has that muddy garage rock sound, it's more raw sounding, like it's ready to fall apart.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 May 2023, 3:36pm
Kory wrote:
Oddly, that's one of AWYWI's strengths to me—it has that muddy garage rock sound, it's more raw sounding, like it's ready to fall apart.
It's definitely charming, but I think I'd prefer a little more top-end clarity in the mix if the performance is also going to be a little hairy—I think that would give it a bit more power/aggression that would go nicely with the ramshackle delivery. That's a personal preference based on my audio training, of course, but the muddy mix almost seems like putting a blanket over it or something.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
Have you heard the KISS version? Much less muddled and has a better drum fill.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
09 May 2023, 3:47pm
Kory wrote:
Have you heard the KISS version? Much less muddled and has a better drum fill.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Damn, Heston got Kif'd!