50%
The Beatles, "She Loves You"
50%

Total votes: 22

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: DC5 vs. The Beatles

Post by Heston »

I see justice and common sense prevailed in the end.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
17 May 2023, 8:43am
In what way?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
Given that I thought the Beatles would run away with this, the results are still very surprising.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

"Alternate account activated"
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
17 May 2023, 10:53am
"Alternate account activated"
Spangleclash? How are ya, buddy!?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
17 May 2023, 8:52am
Heston wrote:
In what way?
In the sense that She Loves You pulverises the DC5 song in every department.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
17 May 2023, 12:02pm
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:
In what way?
It certainly doesn't beat DC5 in the category of garage rock aesthetics. As I mentioned before, if DC5 had been a band that recorded only a few songs and then disappeared, "AWYWI" would have been on Nuggets and held up as a forgotten gem.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 May 2023, 12:07pm
Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:
In what way?
It certainly doesn't beat DC5 in the category of garage rock aesthetics. As I mentioned before, if DC5 had been a band that recorded only a few songs and then disappeared, "AWYWI" would have been on Nuggets and held up as a forgotten gem.
Well yeah, but that wasn't a caveat in the original poll question. The fact that She Loves You is the biggest selling single of the 60s in the UK, in that decade of incredible singles, puts it on another level in all comparable departments. And I know sales aren't a barometer of quality, but c'mon man, it is the biggest selling fucking Beatles single of all time!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
17 May 2023, 12:13pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:
In what way?
Well yeah, but that wasn't a caveat in the original poll question. The fact that She Loves You is the biggest selling single of the 60s in the UK, in that decade of incredible singles, puts it on another level in all comparable departments. And I know sales aren't a barometer of quality, but c'mon man, it is the biggest selling fucking Beatles single of all time!
You don't really have to persuade me. It's peak Beatlemania stuff to the point where "yeah yeah yeah" immediately triggers "Beatles." It's top-notch rock n roll. It ain't a crime that "AWYWI" isn't as good … but it's still a really fucking good song.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 May 2023, 12:17pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:

In what way?
You don't really have to persuade me. It's peak Beatlemania stuff to the point where "yeah yeah yeah" immediately triggers "Beatles." It's top-notch rock n roll. It ain't a crime that "AWYWI" isn't as good … but it's still a really fucking good song.
Well yeah, I really like it. But at one point it was outscoring the Beatles, which seemed insane.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
17 May 2023, 12:57pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:

Well yeah, I really like it. But at one point it was outscoring the Beatles, which seemed insane.
Given that board membership's tastes skew toward the amateur, noisy side of music, perhaps it's not so insane.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 May 2023, 1:01pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Given that board membership's tastes skew toward the amateur, noisy side of music, perhaps it's not so insane.
This has always been a SRP board.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
17 May 2023, 1:02pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 May 2023, 1:01pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:

This has always been a SRP board.
The lack of interest in all my Alan Parson Project threads says otherwise. :angry:

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:
In what way?
As usual, I am with Heston. 🤝

Any Way You Want It is a great tune, but She Loves You is a monster of charisma, musicality and stomping rock and roll energy. It's like Godzilla vs. your accountant.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

All kinds of vote shifting going on. It's been tied, Beatles have been up by 2, DC5 have been up by 2. The work of the same Swans/KISS poll prankster?