50%

Total votes: 22

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: DC5 vs. The Beatles

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 May 2023, 1:48pm
All kinds of vote shifting going on. It's been tied, Beatles have been up by 2, DC5 have been up by 2. The work of the same Swans/KISS poll prankster?
I noticed too. Not my work. Maybe The new posts have attracted new votes.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
17 May 2023, 1:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
All kinds of vote shifting going on. It's been tied, Beatles have been up by 2, DC5 have been up by 2. The work of the same Swans/KISS poll prankster?
Im still waiting for my crab juice.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
The total number of votes haven't changed. Always one vote going from B+2 to even to DC5+2. It's someone Steely Danning* the vote.

* I don't exactly know what it means but something pejorative about being shitty and enjoyed by people who also like Toto or something.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 May 2023, 2:17pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
The total number of votes haven't changed. Always one vote going from B+2 to even to DC5+2. It's someone Steely Danning* the vote.

* I don't exactly know what it means but something pejorative about being shitty and enjoyed by people who also like Toto or something.
Well if the hat fits...

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
17 May 2023, 2:39pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 May 2023, 2:17pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Well if the hat fits...
:curses1:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Any poll involving KISS is Steely Danned from the start.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Olaf wrote:
18 May 2023, 5:48am
Any poll involving KISS is Steely Danned from the start.
Speaking those kinds of dark truths used to get you drawn and quartered. Just be glad that it's no longer the 1990s.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Well it’s good to see that common sense is prevailing again.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

You know what’s awful about “She Loves You?” Those damn triplet fills Ringo does in every chorus. I know it’s supposed to be like a hook but it’s awful. Triplet fills need to be used sparingly, not repeatedly.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Two new voters have chimed in since and have chosen to punish Heston. It proves democracy is still alive and functioning.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Gave both songs a few listens. I obviously knew She Loves You, but hadn't really thought about it deeply because of its omnipresence.

Both songs are stellar. Anyway You Want It has a great palpable energy - that fat bari sax underneath, gang vocals pretty much throughout, that great stop they do a bunch combined with that echoed vocal that lingers. They even do triplets sparingly and tastefully at the end. The problem is that She Loves You is just hook after hook after hook. Nice parallel harmony throughout. In spite of Ringo trying to fuck up the chorus, gotta go with the Beatles.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Kory wrote:
09 May 2023, 3:26pm
I like DC5, and this is a fine, fine song, but it's a little muddled in both production and performance.
I kind of like the muddled production. I swore there was fuzz effect on the bass when I was listening in the car and loved it. Listening on headphones later, I don't think that's the case, but I think the general scuzziness of the instrumental adds a fun edge.

matedog

Post by matedog »

I'm skimming the best known songs of DC5 and I don't think I've heard any of these and I grew up with my dad listening to oldies radio. That one hook from "Because" sounds familiar, but that's all I seem to know.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
18 May 2023, 10:16am
Kory wrote:
I like DC5, and this is a fine, fine song, but it's a little muddled in both production and performance.
I kind of like the muddled production. I swore there was fuzz effect on the bass when I was listening in the car and loved it. Listening on headphones later, I don't think that's the case, but I think the general scuzziness of the instrumental adds a fun edge.
Have you checked the KISS version yet?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

matedog

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
18 May 2023, 10:31am
matedog wrote:
18 May 2023, 10:16am
Kory wrote:
Have you checked the KISS version yet?
Oh that's your response to everything.