Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: DC5 vs. The Beatles

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 May 2023, 3:36pm
Kory wrote:
09 May 2023, 3:26pm
I like DC5, and this is a fine, fine song, but it's a little muddled in both production and performance. If you play it first and then the initial energetic, sharp blast of "She Loves You" hits you in the ears afterward, it's no contest, really.
Oddly, that's one of AWYWI's strengths to me—it has that muddy garage rock sound, it's more raw sounding, like it's ready to fall apart.
I agree the guitar is virtually a fuzz tone and it's great. Definitely has that garage rock vibe.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
09 May 2023, 4:17pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 May 2023, 3:36pm
Kory wrote:
09 May 2023, 3:26pm
I like DC5, and this is a fine, fine song, but it's a little muddled in both production and performance. If you play it first and then the initial energetic, sharp blast of "She Loves You" hits you in the ears afterward, it's no contest, really.
Oddly, that's one of AWYWI's strengths to me—it has that muddy garage rock sound, it's more raw sounding, like it's ready to fall apart.
I agree the guitar is virtually a fuzz tone and it's great. Definitely has that garage rock vibe.
If DC5 hadn't had a multi-album career, it's the kind of song that Lenny Kaye would have dug up for Nuggets.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Really, DC5 is currently edging out She Loves You?? Too many contrarians around here ... :mrgreen:
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

WestwayKid wrote:
09 May 2023, 4:28pm
Really, DC5 is currently edging out She Loves You?? Too many contrarians around here ... :mrgreen:
As I've found to my cost over the years.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
Hey! I gave an honest vote. I genuinely prefer the DC5 song.

I don't sit in the "hey it's The Beatles so it has to be great" camp. All those lovey dovey lyrics do nothing for me.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

That’s not actually one of my favorite Beatles songs if I’m being honest. It’s good, but I think I like the DC5 better. Again, just one song, though. Overall of course I’m picking the Beatles.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Marky Dread wrote:
09 May 2023, 4:59pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Hey! I gave an honest vote. I genuinely prefer the DC5 song.

I don't sit in the "hey it's The Beatles so it has to be great" camp. All those lovey dovey lyrics do nothing for me.
I will say the DC5 are somewhat of an underrated band.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

The DC5 song is just much, much more aligned with my general aesthetic preferences and has the virtue of being a bit underplayed relative to its virtues. So there's still a bit of a surprise thrill when it pops on somewhere.

In some "objective" sense I recognize that the craftsmanship of She Loves You is on another level, but it just doesn't excite me the same way.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
09 May 2023, 7:58pm
The DC5 song is just much, much more aligned with my general aesthetic preferences and has the virtue of being a bit underplayed relative to its virtues. So there's still a bit of a surprise thrill when it pops on somewhere.

In some "objective" sense I recognize that the craftsmanship of She Loves You is on another level, but it just doesn't excite me the same way.
Hard same.

Like I said: I like both songs, and there are several Beatles songs I prefer much more than any Dave Clark song, but the DC5 win in this specific case.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
09 May 2023, 8:50pm
Flex wrote:

Hard same.

Like I said: I like both songs, and there are several Beatles songs I prefer much more than any Dave Clark song, but the DC5 win in this specific case.
And, to be fair, I did specifically pick this song because I had previously said it stacks up well against the best of the Beatlemania period. I'm not sure I'd say that about any other DC5 song.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 May 2023, 9:01pm
Wolter wrote:
09 May 2023, 8:50pm
Flex wrote:

Hard same.

And, to be fair, I did specifically pick this song because I had previously said it stacks up well against the best of the Beatlemania period. I'm not sure I'd say that about any other DC5 song.

Yeah. I like “Catch Me If You Can,” but I’m not sure that makes it past the outtake stage if the Beatles write it.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

The Beatles' recording of "She Loves You" is quite possibly the very best recording anywhere by anyone. Its pure perfection. Flawless execution, catchy, uptempo, easy to sing with, pure power pop defined. For me, its the best ever.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

Heston

Post by Heston »

weller259 wrote:
09 May 2023, 10:22pm
The Beatles' recording of "She Loves You" is quite possibly the very best recording anywhere by anyone. Its pure perfection. Flawless execution, catchy, uptempo, easy to sing with, pure power pop defined. For me, its the best ever.
This is the sane answer.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
10 May 2023, 1:12am
weller259 wrote:
This is the sane answer.
Hmmmm whilst "She Loves You" wasn't just knocked out as the band led people to believe it's hardly "quite possibly the very best recording anywhere by anyone". Yes it's catchy and easy to sing but so is the DC5 number.

There's a wealth of Motown/Stax songs that could blow this song out of the water with ease.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
10 May 2023, 3:03am
Heston wrote:
10 May 2023, 1:12am
weller259 wrote:
This is the sane answer.
Hmmmm whilst "She Loves You" wasn't just knocked out as the band led people to believe it's hardly "quite possibly the very best recording anywhere by anyone". Yes it's catchy and easy to sing but so is the DC5 number.

There's a wealth of Motown/Stax songs that could blow this song out of the water with ease.
Oh yeah, it's not my favourite song of all time or anything. I was just saying it was the sane answer in relation to the question. I really believe the Beatles leave DC5 trailing in the dust here.