Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Flex & Wolt's Thread of Truckliness

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Somewhere, in god's party room, the Founding Fathers are all going, "Fuck yeah, that's what it was all about!"
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Sparky wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 4:56pm
Flex wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 1:27pm
My "American" mind can't process it either. :question:
Mine can and it's awash in awesome.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

revbob wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 6:04pm
Sparky wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 4:56pm
Flex wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 1:27pm
My "American" mind can't process it either. :question:
Mine can and it's awash in awesome.
And yet I own a pickup truck, go figure.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Sparky wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 6:23pm
Get yourself a set of these and all will make sense:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup

Pex Lives!

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Flex wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 6:29pm
Sparky wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 6:23pm
Get yourself a set of these and all will make sense:
Possibly....I'm a no bumper stickers, no flags a flyin', no gun rack in the back window, no train air horns kind of truck owner myself.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Folks, time to take up a collection so that Sparky can nut up his truck. He must be punished for remaining part of this community!
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 7:05pm
Folks, time to take up a collection so that Sparky can nut up his truck. He must be punished for remaining part of this community!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Flex

Post by Flex »

A Ska Thread/Truckliness crossover spectacular. From one of Colorado's finest ska bands, Skank Williams
Attachments
FB_IMG_1690922291150.jpg

Pex Lives!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I'm going to claim that Maggies Farm is a country song. It's about a farm after all.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
02 Aug 2023, 2:15am
I'm going to claim that Maggies Farm is a country song. It's about a farm after all.
As someone representing a nation between the UK and US, I feel qualified to arbitrate. And I rule in favour of the Limeys on this one.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Aug 2023, 6:25am
Silent Majority wrote:
As someone representing a nation between the UK and US, I feel qualified to arbitrate. And I rule in favour of the Limeys on this one.
Greil Marcus, in discussing the recording of The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, relays that someone at the studio (can't remember who and I can't be bothered to find it, but it was a decent industry name) heard Dylan recording and said he should be recording down in Nashville. Then Dylan did a run through of Oxford Town and everyone decided there's no way Dylan could record in Nashville.

So, there's something there.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
02 Aug 2023, 8:26am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Greil Marcus, in discussing the recording of The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, relays that someone at the studio (can't remember who and I can't be bothered to find it, but it was a decent industry name) heard Dylan recording and said he should be recording down in Nashville. Then Dylan did a run through of Oxford Town and everyone decided there's no way Dylan could record in Nashville.

And it's only a few years later that he does record Nashville Skyline. How much of a stretch you want to accept those three or four years, given his stylistic output in between, that's something else.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Aug 2023, 10:13am
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

And it's only a few years later that he does record Nashville Skyline. How much of a stretch you want to accept those three or four years, given his stylistic output in between, that's something else.
I think two events got him in the Nashville door: 1) not recording songs explicitly about the south's racial segregation and violence anymore, 2) the development of country rock (which he was, in fact, a part of creating) opener the door for an electrified Dylan to go cut songs with a great who's who of Nashville session guys. I mean, maybe Dylan could do what he wanted anyways but I think the landscape by '69 for making country-rock records was pretty different than trying to do a "woke" folk record in Nashville circa '62.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
02 Aug 2023, 10:21am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Aug 2023, 10:13am
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

I think two events got him in the Nashville door: 1) not recording songs explicitly about the south's racial segregation and violence anymore, 2) the development of country rock (which he was, in fact, a part of creating) opener the door for an electrified Dylan to go cut songs with a great who's who of Nashville session guys. I mean, maybe Dylan could do what he wanted anyways but I think the landscape by '69 for making country-rock records was pretty different than trying to do a "woke" folk record in Nashville circa '62.
It's always reflexive to treat Dylan as distinct from everything else going on, or as leading the way by a year or two, but, yeah, the environment, musical and cultural, was more encouraging by 1969 for a country-rock hybrid. But at the same time, it was a way of fucking with his fans who just wanted more of what they'd already heard and loved. Even if I can't say I'm a fan of his aesthetic (I don't hate it, either, mind you), I love his resistance to fan expectation.