Flex & Wolt's Thread of Truckliness

General music discussion.
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: Flex & Wolt's Thread of Truckliness

Post by matedog »

Silent Majority wrote:
02 Aug 2023, 2:15am
I'm going to claim that Maggies Farm is a country song. It's about a farm after all.
I thought it was Nu Metal?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Aug 2023, 10:36am
Flex wrote:
02 Aug 2023, 10:21am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Aug 2023, 10:13am
Flex wrote:
02 Aug 2023, 8:26am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Aug 2023, 6:25am

As someone representing a nation between the UK and US, I feel qualified to arbitrate. And I rule in favour of the Limeys on this one.
Greil Marcus, in discussing the recording of The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, relays that someone at the studio (can't remember who and I can't be bothered to find it, but it was a decent industry name) heard Dylan recording and said he should be recording down in Nashville. Then Dylan did a run through of Oxford Town and everyone decided there's no way Dylan could record in Nashville.

So, there's something there.
And it's only a few years later that he does record Nashville Skyline. How much of a stretch you want to accept those three or four years, given his stylistic output in between, that's something else.
I think two events got him in the Nashville door: 1) not recording songs explicitly about the south's racial segregation and violence anymore, 2) the development of country rock (which he was, in fact, a part of creating) opener the door for an electrified Dylan to go cut songs with a great who's who of Nashville session guys. I mean, maybe Dylan could do what he wanted anyways but I think the landscape by '69 for making country-rock records was pretty different than trying to do a "woke" folk record in Nashville circa '62.
It's always reflexive to treat Dylan as distinct from everything else going on, or as leading the way by a year or two, but, yeah, the environment, musical and cultural, was more encouraging by 1969 for a country-rock hybrid. But at the same time, it was a way of fucking with his fans who just wanted more of what they'd already heard and loved. Even if I can't say I'm a fan of his aesthetic (I don't hate it, either, mind you), I love his resistance to fan expectation.
Something he continues to this day by playing shows of mostly new stuff with some older, deeper cuts in totally different arrangements. Gotta love it.

Regarding country's welcoming of weird rockers, this may be apocryphal but my understanding is that country stations used to put out warnings to their DJs not to play the Byrds' Sweetheart of the Rodeo (1968) on air because it wasn't a "real" country record. Both unbelievable and yet extremely believable.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
02 Aug 2023, 11:27am
Regarding country's welcoming of weird rockers, this may be apocryphal but my understanding is that country stations used to put out warnings to their DJs not to play the Byrds' Sweetheart of the Rodeo (1968) on air because it wasn't a "real" country record. Both unbelievable and yet extremely believable.
I think that's entirely plausible given the kind of cultural/political divide in the US at the time, with rock seen as countercultural and country increasingly acquiring its own political identity as conservative, even reactionary (e.g., Merle Haggard). So separation of musical styles could be understood as part of the tribalism of audiences over stuff much huger than the aesthetics.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

matedog wrote:
02 Aug 2023, 11:19am
Silent Majority wrote:
I'm going to claim that Maggies Farm is a country song. It's about a farm after all.
Rage might sound nu metal, but they're too good for me to mentally file them as such.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Silent Majority wrote:
03 Aug 2023, 1:25am
matedog wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Rage might sound nu metal, but they're too good for me to mentally file them as such.
Yeah, I threw that out there for effect. This cover is alright, but I do really really enjoy their Joad cover on that album.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:
03 Aug 2023, 11:14am
Silent Majority wrote:
03 Aug 2023, 1:25am
matedog wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Yeah, I threw that out there for effect. This cover is alright, but I do really really enjoy their Joad cover on that album.
Yeah, the joad cover rules. Some real good uns on that one (although beautiful world does not really work iirc)

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Aug 2023, 2:18pm
That man should be president

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
10 Aug 2023, 2:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Aug 2023, 2:18pm
That man should be president
So you're a Chris Christie feller?

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex wrote:
02 Aug 2023, 11:27am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Aug 2023, 10:36am
Flex wrote:
02 Aug 2023, 10:21am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Aug 2023, 10:13am
Flex wrote:
02 Aug 2023, 8:26am

Greil Marcus, in discussing the recording of The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, relays that someone at the studio (can't remember who and I can't be bothered to find it, but it was a decent industry name) heard Dylan recording and said he should be recording down in Nashville. Then Dylan did a run through of Oxford Town and everyone decided there's no way Dylan could record in Nashville.

So, there's something there.
And it's only a few years later that he does record Nashville Skyline. How much of a stretch you want to accept those three or four years, given his stylistic output in between, that's something else.
I think two events got him in the Nashville door: 1) not recording songs explicitly about the south's racial segregation and violence anymore, 2) the development of country rock (which he was, in fact, a part of creating) opener the door for an electrified Dylan to go cut songs with a great who's who of Nashville session guys. I mean, maybe Dylan could do what he wanted anyways but I think the landscape by '69 for making country-rock records was pretty different than trying to do a "woke" folk record in Nashville circa '62.
It's always reflexive to treat Dylan as distinct from everything else going on, or as leading the way by a year or two, but, yeah, the environment, musical and cultural, was more encouraging by 1969 for a country-rock hybrid. But at the same time, it was a way of fucking with his fans who just wanted more of what they'd already heard and loved. Even if I can't say I'm a fan of his aesthetic (I don't hate it, either, mind you), I love his resistance to fan expectation.
Something he continues to this day by playing shows of mostly new stuff with some older, deeper cuts in totally different arrangements. Gotta love it.

There was a whole thing between the Byrds and influential country DJ Ralph Emery. He apparently refused to play the first single off Sweetheart, which was a Dylan cover (You Ain't Goin' Nowhere). A few weeks later, Roger McGuinn and Gram Parsons wrote the song Drug Store Truck Driving Man to diss Emery. Their appearance on the Opry was also controversial. By most accounts, they took it seriously, even cutting their hair and dressing down, but then Parsons torpedoed the whole thing by deciding at the last minute that they were going to perform Hickory Wind instead of Merle Haggard's Sing Me Back Home - which is what they were supposed to perform.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex

Post by Flex »

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The Devil wrote: I withdraw my comment. :disshame:

Flex

Post by Flex »

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 10:28pm
Fuck. Yes: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C0b8lKmO ... NmMzNhYWxm
If a nuclear explosion happened at the end, you could just show that to an American history class and say, there, that's everything.