Your most wanted 'lost albums'?

General music discussion.
Mark^Bastard
Sightsee MC

Your most wanted 'lost albums'?

Post by Mark^Bastard »

First I'll define a 'lost album' for this question. It would be an album that there are credible sources saying it was finished or close to finished (for example fully recorded and mixed and probably mastered, and sometimes even pressed) that was never released.

For Clash fans an obvious one is Rat Patrol. But there's gotta be a lot of others out there.

Ones I've always wanted (other than Rat Patrol) are:

Downfall - Get Ready for Action
Downfall were a short-lived band between Operation Ivy and Rancid sharing similar members. There's a shitty demo version of this album going around and a couple of songs appeared on compilations. The album was fully ready to be pressed on Lookout records and we even pre-ordered by a lot of people but never released. Later on it got remastered by Brett Gurewitz (not a good thing) because it was going to be released finally, but then Rancid blew up in popularity around 1994 and it got put on the backburner indefinitely. There are in theory two mastered versions of it in archives. The second one may have had some new vocal takes because Rancid ended up using some of the lyrics in their songs.

The Silencers
The Silencers are a side project of Rancid and some other Hellcat records related artists like Vic Ruggiero and Dave Hillyard from the Slackers. The only officially released song is Policemen on the Give 'em the Boot compilation, but an entire album was made and was ready to go around 1998 but was never released.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: Your most wanted 'lost albums'?

Post by Flex »

Mark^Bastard wrote:
12 Feb 2024, 12:07am
The Silencers
The Silencers are a side project of Rancid and some other Hellcat records related artists like Vic Ruggiero and Dave Hillyard from the Slackers. The only officially released song is Policemen on the Give 'em the Boot compilation, but an entire album was made and was ready to go around 1998 but was never released.
Fascinating. Love this track, had no idea there was a whole albums (tho it makes sense).
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Mark^Bastard
Sightsee MC

Post by Mark^Bastard »

Flex wrote:
12 Feb 2024, 12:59am
Mark^Bastard wrote:
12 Feb 2024, 12:07am
The Silencers
Fascinating. Love this track, had no idea there was a whole albums (tho it makes sense).
Yeah I asked Dave Hillyard about it a long time ago via email and he said be believes it is sitting in Tim's archives fully mastered.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The obvious one for me is the re-recorded version of First Issue that PiL did for Warner Bros, who didn't think FI could be marketed in the US. Marky can confirm this, but I think only the re-recording of "Fodderstompf" ever saw the light of day.

As a sorta album, and something mentioned a few weeks back, Wire did some recordings with Steve Albini a couple decades ago that nobody was especially happy with. Me, I'd love to hear a more raw Wire ripping thru their material.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

motorsmell
Junco Partner

Post by motorsmell »

Wu Tang Clan- Once upon a time in shaolin. Only one copy of this album exists and last I heard its sitting in a FBI facility somewhere. There's alot to the story of this album which I can't be arsed detailing here however Google will tell the whole sordid affair...

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

motorsmell wrote:
12 Feb 2024, 1:13pm
Wu Tang Clan- Once upon a time in shaolin. Only one copy of this album exists and last I heard its sitting in a FBI facility somewhere. There's alot to the story of this album which I can't be arsed detailing here however Google will tell the whole sordid affair...
I thought that shitfuck Shkreli made it available before getting incarcerated. :huh:
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Chapterhouse had an unfinished third album for which there are only demos, wouldn't mind hearing that.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
12 Feb 2024, 5:32pm
Chapterhouse had an unfinished third album for which there are only demos, wouldn't mind hearing that.
Along the same lines (maybe), when Cocteau Twins packed it in, they were working on a new album. They weren't a band that did demos, tho, but wrote entirely in the studio, so maybe what survived isn't much more than partials sketches of songs.

motorsmell
Junco Partner

Post by motorsmell »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Feb 2024, 1:24pm
motorsmell wrote:
I thought that shitfuck Shkreli made it available before getting incarcerated. :huh:
Not that I know of, I think he may have played a bit on a live stream...and yes he's a complete bastard!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

motorsmell wrote:
12 Feb 2024, 6:05pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Feb 2024, 1:24pm
motorsmell wrote:
Not that I know of, I think he may have played a bit on a live stream...and yes he's a complete bastard!
Maybe that's what I'm (mis)remembering—he played little bits as a fuck-you to others.

Mark^Bastard
Sightsee MC

Post by Mark^Bastard »

motorsmell wrote:
Oh yeah that's a good one. Crazy thinking it could be a great album and the world is missing out, or absolute dogshit knowing that some rich guy would buy it anyway :mrgreen:

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

All the ones my cousin "borrowed" from me when I was in middle school.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Seems like everything I want to hear has been released in some form or another - except for those two Morrissey albums. TBH, I dread most releases from artists I like because I don't want them to sully what they've done in the past but I do want to hear the stuff Alain Whyte contributed to the second one.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

motorsmell wrote:
This one is also high on my list. I would LOVE to hear this. The whole story is bizarre.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

There are at least a few The The albums I'd love to hear. I also want to hear the electric version of Springsteen's Nebraska LP.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble