matedog wrote:
07 Mar 2024, 1:06am
Flex wrote:
06 Mar 2024, 8:43pm
JennyB wrote:
06 Mar 2024, 8:40pm
This fucking video.
I'm not clicking on that.
Nah that video is fine. Single take, monotone Zooropa Edge doing some weird kinda catchy electro song and weird shit happening. It's not great, but it's not bad.

I googled a few lists of "worst 90s videos" and they are all fine. Probably have to dig deep to actually find a bad one.
There's feet on his face. It is decidedly NOT fine.
Don't kink shame. :naughty:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: The crummiest music videos ever

Post by matedog »

Low Down Low wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 2:17pm
Anyway, seems a reasonable excuse to post a clip of Sir Bono making a total dork of himself.

Oh shit, that's hilarious.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 1:47pm
JennyB wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 1:24pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Mar 2024, 9:06pm
JennyB wrote:
This fucking video.
There is a distinct pleasure in being ignorant of U2's doings for several decades now. While I acknowledge that I may be missing out on something I'd like, even if it's just a song or two, I feel confident that, nah, I'm better for not knowing any of that stuff.
This is about 30 years old I think!
There's a neat quality about U2 in that people who cite Boy or War as a "no, they were good and then went astray" response need to confront the possibility—probability—that those early records are an aberration to their true nature. They've been repulsive for the vast majority of their existence. I can come up with an ep of U2 that I like, but I can also do that with KISS.
There's a neat quality about U2 in that people who cite they can come up with an ep that they like as a "no, they were good and then went astray" response need to confront the possibility—probability—that those early records are an aberration to their true nature. They've been repulsive for the vast majority of their existence. I can come up with an ep of KISS that I like, but I can also do that with Radiohead.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 5:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
This fucking video.
There is a distinct pleasure in being ignorant of U2's doings for several decades now. While I acknowledge that I may be missing out on something I'd like, even if it's just a song or two, I feel confident that, nah, I'm better for not knowing any of that stuff.
There's a neat quality about U2 in that people who cite Boy or War as a "no, they were good and then went astray" response need to confront the possibility—probability—that those early records are an aberration to their true nature. They've been repulsive for the vast majority of their existence. I can come up with an ep of U2 that I like, but I can also do that with KISS.
There's a neat quality about U2 in that people who cite they can come up with an ep that they like as a "no, they were good and then went astray" response need to confront the possibility—probability—that those early records are an aberration to their true nature. They've been repulsive for the vast majority of their existence. I can come up with an ep of KISS that I like, but I can also do that with Radiohead.
Tou … ché?
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Marky Dread wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 5:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
This fucking video.
kISS for worse or worse has remained true to their nature.

matedog

Post by matedog »

These “early U2 and Radiohead are the only good eras” takes are wild to me. Auchtung Baby and OK Computer are terrific.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 3:36pm
These “early U2 and Radiohead are the only good eras” takes are wild to me. Auchtung Baby and OK Computer are terrific.
I feel no shame in admitting I like both.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

matedog wrote:
Next you'll be extolling the virtues of Coldplay

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Championing OK Computer is a hill I'll die on. Beyond that, not so much.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog

Post by matedog »

revbob wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 5:10pm
matedog wrote:
They’ve got plenty of decent songs. Yeah pretty limp stuff but that okay.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 5:15pm
Huge drop off after that album. The odd track here and there but not much I can get into.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 5:29pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 5:15pm
Huge drop off after that album. The odd track here and there but not much I can get into.
Yup, that's where I'm at. I respect them for trading big commercial success for artistic freedom but most of what they did afterwards just isn't my bag.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

matedog wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 5:28pm
revbob wrote:
matedog wrote:
I should say I really don't know any Radiohead songs other than Creep, but Ive heard enough U2 and Coldplay to knlw its a one way ticket to dullsville.

matedog

Post by matedog »

revbob wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 6:01pm
matedog wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 5:28pm
revbob wrote:
matedog wrote:
I should say I really don't know any Radiohead songs other than Creep, but Ive heard enough U2 and Coldplay to knlw its a one way ticket to dullsville.
Yeah clearly not Rev material but I think a decent general argument can be made.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

matedog wrote:
I'll stand by my assessment that U2 have never released an outright bad record. Their biggest crime these days is playing it too safe and clinging to the U2 sound. No Line on the Horizon was an interesting album, difficult at times, worked around the edges in a way they hadn't explored in years.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble