Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Mar 2024, 7:24pm
Low Down Low wrote:
05 Mar 2024, 7:13pm
WestwayKid wrote:
05 Mar 2024, 7:03pm
Low Down Low wrote:
05 Mar 2024, 6:21pm
Can't disagree with any of that but still a top tune imo. I am a total sucker for that vocorder stuff or whatever it's called though.
Agreed. Jeff Lynne has a knack for writing catchy songs. One of the greatest movie soundtrack moments is at the end of Boogie Nights when they play Livin’ Thing just as the credits roll. It’s perfect.
Sure did. There's a handful of tunes i really like, Telephone Line and Wild West Hero are classics, but i dont believe i've ever had a moment in my half century of years and counting where I've thought to myself, "yes, i think I'm really in the mood to play some ELO now". I hear them on the radio sporadically and I'll never switch the dial.
:lol: Fantastic way of expressing their meh-ness.
I once knew someone (a former co-worker) who was a massive ELO fan. He even went to a convention.
There was a kid in middle school that would wear an ELO shirt to school. He reminded me of the turtle on bugs bunny

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The crummiest music videos ever

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
05 Mar 2024, 10:25pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Mar 2024, 7:54pm
WestwayKid wrote:
05 Mar 2024, 7:41pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
05 Mar 2024, 7:13pm

Sure did. There's a handful of tunes i really like, Telephone Line and Wild West Hero are classics, but i dont believe i've ever had a moment in my half century of years and counting where I've thought to myself, "yes, i think I'm really in the mood to play some ELO now". I hear them on the radio sporadically and I'll never switch the dial.
I once knew someone (a former co-worker) who was a massive ELO fan. He even went to a convention.
Statistically, those people must exist, but who expects to meet one, y'know? I was at a dinner party and the boyfriend of one of the hosts told me he was a huge Kansas fan (this was back in the 90s). My reaction was to tell him, "So you're the one!" He was kinda dumb and didn't realize I was insulting him.
I’m a member of a CD collector Facebook group (wow, typing that makes me feel old). People always post about their favorite bands, showing off their collections. There is one guy who posted his collection of something like 300 Bee Gees CDs. I just saw another member who is raving about Toto. It takes all kinds, I guess.
In one of the outtakes from the UK Office, Tim is talking to the camera about Gareth, trying to express his frustrations. He says that with all the music that has ever been made, all the varieties, the creativity and possibility, Gareth's favourite band is … Mike and the Mechanics. That scene has stayed with me and is recalled whenever I come across people who adore painfully mediocre music.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Mar 2024, 7:26am
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Statistically, those people must exist, but who expects to meet one, y'know? I was at a dinner party and the boyfriend of one of the hosts told me he was a huge Kansas fan (this was back in the 90s). My reaction was to tell him, "So you're the one!" He was kinda dumb and didn't realize I was insulting him.
I’m a member of a CD collector Facebook group (wow, typing that makes me feel old). People always post about their favorite bands, showing off their collections. There is one guy who posted his collection of something like 300 Bee Gees CDs. I just saw another member who is raving about Toto. It takes all kinds, I guess.
In one of the outtakes from the UK Office, Tim is talking to the camera about Gareth, trying to express his frustrations. He says that with all the music that has ever been made, all the varieties, the creativity and possibility, Gareth's favourite band is … Mike and the Mechanics. That scene has stayed with me and is recalled whenever I come across people who adore painfully mediocre music.
Yet you (many of us) recognize that band name. I couldn't name a song but I feel my knowledge of its existence is bad enough.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

revbob wrote:
06 Mar 2024, 8:22am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Yet you (many of us) recognize that band name. I couldn't name a song but I feel my knowledge of its existence is bad enough.
Just feel good that those people exist to make the choice to listen to crap music. Leaving the likes of you and me to listen to the Courettes. 😉

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Marky Dread wrote:
06 Mar 2024, 8:30am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Just feel good that those people exist to make the choice to listen to crap music. Leaving the likes of you and me to listen to the Courettes. 😉
;)

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

They were an 80s spin-off of Genesis—Phil Collins was being appalling by himself and the other two didn't want to get left behind in producing sonic poo. I can't remember the name of their hit, but it got a ton of play. It should be in consideration for worst song of the 80s (in the category of songs that were hits).
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Mar 2024, 8:33am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

They were an 80s spin-off of Genesis—Phil Collins was being appalling by himself and the other two didn't want to get left behind in producing sonic poo. I can't remember the name of their hit, but it got a ton of play. It should be in consideration for worst song of the 80s (in the category of songs that were hits).
"The Living Years" a song sang from the point of view of a son who has regrets of not making better efforts while his father was still alive.

Simple don't be an asshole in the first place show more understanding and compassion and then we don't need your dumb mopey song.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
06 Mar 2024, 8:40am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

"The Living Years" a song sang from the point of view of a son who has regrets of not making better efforts while his father was still alive.

Simple don't be an asshole in the first place show more understanding and compassion and then we don't need your dumb mopey song.
Or just keep that shit to yourself. We all have regrets, but we don't also feel obliged to inflict them on others.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Mar 2024, 8:42am
Marky Dread wrote:
06 Mar 2024, 8:40am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Or just keep that shit to yourself. We all have regrets, but we don't also feel obliged to inflict them on others.
I have no regrets and yes I have ventured into the KISS thread on occasion.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Here is another clunker:

The premise seems simple: dress the band up in dumb costumes, throw in a few lights that look like they came from the early 80's equivalent of Temu, turn on the fog machine (also bought from Temu) and away we go. They even throw in a little person, which feels like a way too common crummy music video trope.

Gord has all the life of an animatronic from Chuck E. Cheese. He looks like he had to brace himself with a pint of whiskey before filming. I guess this proves the point that every artist felt the need to wade into the music video waters.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I think Paul Carrack was their lead vocalist. He definitely took the lead on The Living Years. I also remember them doing a song called All I Need Is a Miracle.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Question: what pre-video bands did music videos well?

This one is wonderfully simple, yet well executed:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I checked out "The Living Years" and that wasn't the lousy song I was thinking about. It was "Silent Running." Those assholes are my soundtrack in hell.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
06 Mar 2024, 11:14am
The Beatles were pioneers. Once they chose to stop touring, they needed other ways to promote themselves, so they did promo films. The one for "Strawberry Fields Forever" captures the trippiness of the song well.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Mar 2024, 11:17am
WestwayKid wrote:
06 Mar 2024, 11:14am
The Beatles were pioneers. Once they chose to stop touring, they needed other ways to promote themselves, so they did promo films. The one for "Strawberry Fields Forever" captures the trippiness of the song well.
They did indeed do it well. Even when it was a performance promo film - it still had style: