Sid and Nancy depreciation thread

General music discussion.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Sid and Nancy depreciation thread

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:Very harsh Heston
Maybe.
Marky Dread wrote:he mugged more than one old lady and one cat.

Not as harsh as mugging cats! :mrgreen:
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
Maybe.

Especially Black Cats. :mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

7devonapes
Corner Soul

Post by 7devonapes »

Great Soundtrack though (if only it were complete)...

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

7devonapes wrote:Great Soundtrack though (if only it were complete)...
Yes has some good moments.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Maybe.

Especially Black Cats. :mrgreen:
:mrgreen:
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Forty-five years ago today. The big dummy would have been collecting a pension by now.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 7:27am
Forty-five years ago today. The big dummy would have been collecting a pension by now.
https://www.clashcity.com/boards/viewto ... 81#p701081

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 8:14am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 7:27am
https://www.clashcity.com/boards/viewto ... 81#p701081
The big dummy could have also been downloading your records! (Thanks for the pointer.)
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

This bit captures my view:
To Wobble, Vicious is, to some extent at least, the ultimate victim of the zeitgeist – prey to the dark machinations of a music industry long designed to chew ’em up and spit ’em out.
The music industry has always regarded the vast majority of entertainers as disposable, to be used to squeeze out as much money as possible before their best-before date expires. Then go find someone else and do the same thing. The comparative rarities are the ones who survive to have careers.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 9:53am
To Wobble, Vicious is, to some extent at least, the ultimate victim of the zeitgeist – prey to the dark machinations of a music industry long designed to chew ’em up and spit ’em out.
The music industry has always regarded the vast majority of entertainers as disposable, to be used to squeeze out as much money as possible before their best-before date expires. Then go find someone else and do the same thing. The comparative rarities are the ones who survive to have careers.
There's not really any chance Sid was going to survive despite being attached to an industry based on greed. He was an addict long before he was a Pistol. A friend of mine said but hey Keith Richards has survived and he was a junkie. Different mentality and a better quality of drugs. Sid was doomed in my opinion just because of who he had become.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 10:29am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
There's not really any chance Sid was going to survive despite being attached to an industry based on greed. He was an addict long before he was a Pistol. A friend of mine said but hey Keith Richards has survived and he was a junkie. Different mentality and a better quality of drugs. Sid was doomed in my opinion just because of who he had become.
Sure, his odds of living a long life given the nature of his childhood and adolescence weren't great. But greater than once the entertainment biz found a way to make money off his notoriety, pumping up his image (well, caricature), then chucking him aside. No way I'm saying Sid would have grown up to be an MP or even a milkman, but the doors all closed on him as quickly as they opened because that's the way the business operates.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I know of people who had it as rough as Sid who went on to become poets, social workers, and millionaires.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 10:45am
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sure, his odds of living a long life given the nature of his childhood and adolescence weren't great. But greater than once the entertainment biz found a way to make money off his notoriety, pumping up his image (well, caricature), then chucking him aside. No way I'm saying Sid would have grown up to be an MP or even a milkman, but the doors all closed on him as quickly as they opened because that's the way the business operates.
I don't think the business killed him. It possibly exacerbated his death. But Sid was self destructive and didn't know how to survive. I lost friends to Heroin who were way smarter than Sid. But you fuck with that stuff and it's a 50/50 deal as to your chances of surviving.

To a lot of people Sid is just this cartoonish moron on a T-shirt. But Sid was like so many of us kids back then. He got very lucky and then that luck destroyed him because he was a fatalist and believed the bullshit.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 11:11am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 10:45am
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I don't think the business killed him. It possibly exacerbated his death. But Sid was self destructive and didn't know how to survive. I lost friends to Heroin who were way smarter than Sid. But you fuck with that stuff and it's a 50/50 deal as to your chances of surviving.

To a lot of people Sid is just this cartoonish moron on a T-shirt. But Sid was like so many of us kids back then. He got very lucky and then that luck destroyed him because he was a fatalist and believed the bullshit.
No, it didn't directly kill him, anymore than it killed Cobain. But maximized conditions that led to their death because it isn't driven by anything but wringing out any money it can from its producers, regardless of the human cost. Hell, if the death is done right, it can expand the money-making possibility (definitely in Sid's case, didn't hurt in Cobain's). I'm not trying to make Sid a passive and innocent victim, but he was still victimized by an ugly system.