DEVO News

General music discussion.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: DEVO News

Post by Flex »

greil marcus might be one of the only ones who stuff interesting enough to wade through the bullshit. most of 'em aren't even worth the effort.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
29 Sep 2018, 11:17pm
greil marcus might be one of the only ones who stuff interesting enough to wade through the bullshit. most of 'em aren't even worth the effort.
I tentatively agree, tho Marcus is such a goddamned tease that I almost prefer the low expectation / low delivery of others. Marcus hints at something significant in his analysis, but then smothers it in spastic hyperbole and detours that I often feel ripped off for taking the bait.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Flex wrote:
29 Sep 2018, 11:17pm
Saw him interview Viv Albertine in April.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Sep 2018, 5:41pm
Wolter wrote:
29 Sep 2018, 5:20pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Sep 2018, 5:07pm
Wolter wrote:
29 Sep 2018, 5:01pm
The subtext of that article is that even our supposedly greatest rock critics of that day were pretty much idiots.
An uncontroversial assessment, I'd say. In my class the last couple weeks, we've read and discussed pieces that argue that it was the earliest rock critics in the 1960s who established the racist and sexist parameters of rock music—It's by and for white males, that black people and women are illegitimate. Rock critics were (and largely still are) the pompous shithead who declares, "If you were a real fan …."
Every time I read something by any of those dweebs, it’s almost always incredibly misguided and edgelord as fuvk. Any of them.
Greil Marcus says hi (but it'll take 10,000 words and fifteen irrelevant and hyperbolic tangents to do so).
"Lipstick Traces" great book title as all you get are traces of anything worthwhile.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

COuldn't find the Cheap Trick or Foo Fighters thread.

https://www.alternativenation.net/dave- ... Q2ZNdN-kG0

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

GERALD CASALE: It came to a head in 1982, with a song called "That's Good," where Warner's was really high on the song, and we were really high on the song. Radio was liking it, and we made this video. We sent it to them, and this guy that I had not met yet, who I would get to meet Les Garland who was kind of like their version of the Taliban … the corporate Taliban, says, "We're not playing this." He goes, "We know what you're trying to say." And we go, "What are you talking about?" He goes, "Let's talk about it. You've got a cartoon donut flying through space, and you've got a cartoon french fry going through it. And then, it cuts to a girl with a smile on her face. I know what you're saying, OK? Let me tell you something. You can have the donut, you can have the girl … but you can't have the french fry. Or, you can have the french fry and the donut … but you can't have the girl." We were unfortunately artists with integrity, like Martin Milner in Sweet Smell of Success,who screws himself by standing up to JJ Hunsecker. So we cite four or five other videos that are on the air that are so over-the-top sexual, not even with humor or animation. It's like hardcore crotch and rubbing … plenty of tits and ass, which was de rigueur. He goes, "Have it your way. That's it."
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

internet buzz indicates the boys are about to announce a farewell tour

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

DEVO have confirmed a rare live appearance at this year’s edition of Desert Daze, taking place at Lake Perris, California between October 10th and 13th.

The performance marks only DEVO’s third confirmed show since 2014, and press material for Desert Daze advertises their set as the kick-off to their “farewell tour.”
In an email to Consequence of Sound, DEVO co-founder Jerry Casale clarified that the performance is “not connected to a Farewell Tour.” Because, as he explained, “If ever there is such a tour we certainly will not name it as such. More like The Beginning Was The End Tour.”

That said, Casale does acknowledge that DEVO is reaching the end of the road: “As it is [Desert Daze] could be the last time DEVO plays on this planet. Who knows?”

“Spuds should see us while they can,” Casale added. “Let us not talk falsely now, the hour’s getting late as Bob Dylan said 50 years or so ago.”

The Desert Daze lineup also promises Wu-Tang Clan, Ween, The Flaming Lips, Flying Lotus 3D, Stereolab, Animal Collective, Claypool Lennon Delirium, Connan Mockasin, Dungen, and more.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

tepista wrote:
07 Aug 2019, 2:27pm
DEVO have confirmed a rare live appearance at this year’s edition of Desert Daze, taking place at Lake Perris, California between October 10th and 13th.

The performance marks only DEVO’s third confirmed show since 2014, and press material for Desert Daze advertises their set as the kick-off to their “farewell tour.”
In an email to Consequence of Sound, DEVO co-founder Jerry Casale clarified that the performance is “not connected to a Farewell Tour.” Because, as he explained, “If ever there is such a tour we certainly will not name it as such. More like The Beginning Was The End Tour.”

That said, Casale does acknowledge that DEVO is reaching the end of the road: “As it is [Desert Daze] could be the last time DEVO plays on this planet. Who knows?”

“Spuds should see us while they can,” Casale added. “Let us not talk falsely now, the hour’s getting late as Bob Dylan said 50 years or so ago.”

The Desert Daze lineup also promises Wu-Tang Clan, Ween, The Flaming Lips, Flying Lotus 3D, Stereolab, Animal Collective, Claypool Lennon Delirium, Connan Mockasin, Dungen, and more.
Wow, I can't believe the last (and only) time I've seen 'em was 2014. Hope they do a proper final tour if they're really hanging it up.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Somehow I've never seen The Truth about De-Evolution before. The post-60s hangover produced some seriously weird mind monsters.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Gig flyer, 1978.