General music discussion.
tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

DEVO News

Post by tepista »

OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE dated 3/10/09

DEVO ANNOUNCE NEW STUDIO ALBUM
TO DEBUT FALL 2009!

De-evolution has finally arrived...and who better to guide us through the mess than DEVO.

What the iconic new wave, art punk pioneers cautioned us about almost 30 years ago is no longer a humorous theory.

The fall of 2009 will bring a new DEVO studio album, their first one since 1990's Smooth Noodle Maps. It'll mark their first new music since the strong fan reaction that greeted the 2007 single "Watch Us Work It," their first new song in 18 years and one that was produced by Sweden's TeddyBears (Robyn). They're now in the studio putting the finishing touches on their new album (title TBA).
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Re: DEVO News

Post by tepista »

tepista wrote:Othe strong fan reaction that greeted the 2007 single "Watch Us Work It,"
That song was fucking great

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

tepista wrote:
tepista wrote:Othe strong fan reaction that greeted the 2007 single "Watch Us Work It,"
Sorry to interrupt your conversation with yourself but the Virgin Megastore in downtown SF is shutting down and they are doing 40% now. I will use it as a chance to get dirt cheap cds. I know very little of Devo and I figure I could give it a go. What is a good starter album? I am aware that "Are We Not Men" has a good rep.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

matedog wrote:I know very little of Devo and I figure I could give it a go. What is a good starter album? I am aware that "Are We Not Men" has a good rep.
Yes, that's their first. Start with the first 3 in order (Are we We Not Men, Duty Now, Freedom of Choice). If you like them, then inquire about demos and boots. I assume you'll like it, since you like everything.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:
tepista wrote:
Sorry to interrupt your conversation with yourself but the Virgin Megastore in downtown SF is shutting down and they are doing 40% now. I will use it as a chance to get dirt cheap cds. I know very little of Devo and I figure I could give it a go. What is a good starter album? I am aware that "Are We Not Men" has a good rep.
Are We Not Men is stellar.
Freedom of Choice and Duty Now For the Future are great
New Traditionalists is fun
Diminishing returns from then on.

If you can find any of the Hardcore discs, they are pretty good, but I would get Are We Not Men, Duty Now, and Freedom of Choice first. Eh, wait...they're out of print anyway.

Also, try to locate the Booji Boy version of "Jocko Homo" at some point in your life (it's on both Greatest Misses and the Rhino Anthology. It is massively better than the (admittedly still great) album version of the song.

ADDENDUM: or just do what Tep just said.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

GET IT ALL

Also, kickass news.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

matedog

Post by matedog »

tepista wrote:
matedog wrote:I know very little of Devo and I figure I could give it a go. What is a good starter album? I am aware that "Are We Not Men" has a good rep.
Yes, that's their first. Start with the first 3 in order (Are we We Not Men, Duty Now, Freedom of Choice). If you like them, then inquire about demos and boots. I assume you'll like it, since you like everything.
They don't do Pennywise covers right? Okay, good.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

matedog wrote: They don't do Pennywise covers right? Okay, good.
No, they're nothing like the 2 or 3 bands in the whole world that you actually don't like.

here's a sample

[youtube][/youtube]

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

tepista wrote:No, they're nothing like the 2 or 3 bands in the whole world that you actually don't like.
And everything like everything that everyone should like.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
No, they're nothing like the 2 or 3 bands in the whole world that you actually don't like.
You kidding? Hoy's pretty much dismissed the entire post-punk period (also known as The Creative Peak of the Rock Era—trademark pending).
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
tepista wrote:
You kidding? Hoy's pretty much dismissed the entire post-punk period (also known as The Creative Peak of the Rock Era—trademark pending).
I like post-punk bands. I just like them when they stop playing post-punk music.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

tepista wrote:

here's a sample

[youtube][/youtube]
My favorite Devo song. :mrgreen:
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
tepista wrote:
I like post-punk bands. I just like them when they stop playing post-punk music.
You make my toes hurt and not in a good Las Vegas way.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

JennyB wrote:
tepista wrote:

here's a sample

[youtube][/youtube]
Sounds like Violence in Our Minds by Last Resort, but with absolutely fucking terrible vocals.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

modskin
Unknown Immortal

Post by modskin »

Silent Majority wrote:
JennyB wrote:
tepista wrote:

here's a sample

[youtube][/youtube]
Sounds like Violence in Our Minds by Last Resort, but with absolutely fucking terrible vocals.
And recorded at least 5 years previously.